INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PS4 losing MC DLNA connection  (Read 4073 times)

Gronkmeister

PS4 losing MC DLNA connection
« on: March 29, 2016, 02:04:48 am »

Hi All,

I'm new to using JRiver MC and so far everything has been working amazingly well!  However, I'm running into an issue with MC's DLNA server streaming to my PS4.  There doesn't seem to be much here on the forums already about this issue, but if I'm missing something obvious, just let me know.

Anyway, the issue is basically that whenever I wake the PS4 from rest mode, or restart it, it loses connection to the DLNA server.  No matter how long I wait, the DLNA server will never re-appear in the list of servers on the PS4 Media Player app.  I thought I might be able to force a refresh using JRemote from my phone, but no luck there either.

I've found a crappy workaround by going to Media Network options on the MC server machine, and usually just hitting "Options" then "Okay".  This seems to "refresh" the server and then on PS4's Media Player, my DLNA server appears.  However, this is actually a really crappy workaround for me, as I have to open up my laptop, connect to the server machine (and old Macbook Pro) via VNC, and "refresh" the server manually each time.  I've confirmed that the Media Server machine is not going to sleep (running SleepLess), as I can play/stream media from it to other devices on my network (and over the internet).  It's only the PS4 that loses connection.

I've tried messing around with the DLNA server's settings, but nothing seems to keep the connection when the PS4 wakes up.  I've tried the PS3 settings, as well as a Generic DLNA setting (the Generic actually works better for most of my media).  I'm guessing the fault is with the crappy PS4 Media Player app, but I thought there might be a solution anyway...

I'm willing to post more details and try just about anything.  Thanks for the help!

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: PS4 losing MC DLNA connection
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 03:26:39 am »

I am guessing that you have a network problem causing M-SEARCH UDP broadcasts not to be routed properly. It could be due to a firewall somewhere, or perhaps your router has UPNP turned off, or is blocking UDP messages (or limiting the hop count).

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

Gronkmeister

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 01:52:09 pm »

Wow thanks, that is a great start.  So on the Macbook running JRiver MC, the Firewall is disabled (and always has been).  On my router, I don't think there is a setting for enabling/disabling UPNP, so maybe I'm out of luck?  

On my router, I can enable/disable firewalls for individual devices, but I'm guessing that isn't a good idea?  I can obviously also forward TCP/UDP ports, and I already have some ports forwarded for the JRiver MC machine so I can connect to my server over the internet.  Is there a UDP port I should forward for either/both machines?

I apologize if I sound lost/confused, this isn't really my field of expertise.  I really appreciate the help!

EDIT:  On a few sites I saw that UDP port 1900 is used, does this sound right?  I'll give it a try later.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 05:19:55 pm »

Port 1900 is used for SSDP (device discovery) and should be open.  

Normally a firewall should ask when MC or any other program needs network access.

If everything is on one network (your LAN), then you don't need port forwarding.

A router would normally only defend incoming traffic from outside your LAN.

The wiki has a topic on [url=http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Network_Access]Network Access[/url].

Gronkmeister

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 11:05:19 am »

Makes sense.  The MC server and my PS4 are both on wired connections on my LAN.  Any other ideas on what I could try?  I just think its odd that "refreshing" the DLNA server (by opening/closing its options menu) forces it to show up on my PS4, but it won't ever show up on its own after the PS4 restarts/wakes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up