INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 5 Zone volume control using 5 sounds cards  (Read 1041 times)

pclausen

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
5 Zone volume control using 5 sounds cards
« on: August 01, 2003, 07:59:15 am »

I have a dedicated server on which I'm running MC9.  It is located in my 'equipment' room, where all my amps and such for my home theater are situated as well.

The motherboard has built in digital audio with both coax and optical digital outs.  I'm feeding the optical to my Sony Preamp for the Home Theater room, and run the coax output 50' to my Yamaha receiver upstairs in the living room.

This all works great as I'm able to play a track and listen to it in either of my two locations.  I'm using the remote desktop connection feature of XP Pro to control the MC9 server from any computer on my network, and I also use a web browser on my Axim to control via the web interface.  (I also have MusicLobby and look forward to their Pocket PC upgrade).

I also have several other sets of speakers throughout the house that are all wired back down to the equipment room where they are connected to individual power amps.

Now to my questions:

1.  Can I add multiple sound cards with analog outputs to my MC9 server and feed the output of these into my various power amps?  If so, will MC9 allow me to adjust the volume/EQ for each Zone/sound card?

2. Can I play different tracks in different zones simultaneously?

Wobbley

• World Citizen
  • What a bum rap for a nice, sensitive guy like me
Re: 5 Zone volume control using 5 sounds cards
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2003, 08:56:27 am »

pclausen,

#1 is possible, although I'm not sure how XP will handle 5 soundcards (I've used 2 with no problems though). However, I don't believe #2 is possible.  I have the same problem, as I want to pipe one playlist to outside speakers (1st soundcard, Zone 1, Receiver 1), and another to inside speakers (2nd soundcard, Zone 2, Receiver 2), AT THE SAME TIME, but there's just no way (that I can find) to, say, select a zone and then start playing a playlist, then select another zone and start playing a different playlist concurrently.

Wobbley

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: 5 Zone volume control using 5 sounds cards
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2003, 09:04:35 am »

#2 is possible.

Here's a good source of information:
http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=MediaCenter;action=display;num=1044549138

I suggest posting your question there since Mastiff will probably find it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up