INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why does an MC Client default to converting audio at all times?  (Read 2524 times)

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Why does an MC Client default to converting audio at all times?
« on: November 19, 2016, 04:43:10 am »

I just stumbled over https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=66864.0 for probably the 4th or 5th time in my life. I've never understood why this option is implemented the way it is but that's by the by, my question is why is it the default setting? It means a vanilla MC installation running as a client is going to convert to mp3 at all times. I would be pretty surprised if this is what anyone would want as a default.

Is there a downside to a default of never convert?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Why does an MC Client default to converting audio at all times?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 06:43:18 am »

I think it's intended to be symmetrical with the default DLNA server setting, but the reason that's the default for the DLNA server (maximum compatibility with DLNA renderers) really doesn't apply to an MC library client at all.

I agree it probably shouldn't be the default, and it's one of three settings I immediately change on every new install.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 07:00:30 am »

I agree it probably shouldn't be the default, and it's one of three settings I immediately change on every new install.
what are the other two?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 07:27:36 am »

I agree.  We will talk about  it.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 07:40:12 am »

what are the other two?

By default "do not play silence (leading and trailing)" is enabled.  I remember being super confused when I started using JRiver because silence that I knew was in the music wasn't being played.  Modifying the music by default always struck me as an odd default.

I also disable the "run import on empty libraries" checkbox so I don't have to race the import timer the first few times I open the install.

I obviously make other customizations as I go, but I always do those three first as I don't want to forget about them, and the other defaults are either pretty solid or obvious enough in their effects that I'll remember to change them later.

I agree.  We will talk about  it.

Thanks for the considering it Jim  :)

Spike1000

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 04:37:17 am »

>:( I've just realised that I've been burnt by this one. Possibly when I upgraded to v 22, maybe longer  :(

I have 2 NUCs that I run headless to provide 'background' music (rather than my main listening) I did think the audience sounds were a bit 'muted' when listening to Alchemy by Dire Straits and lo an behold when I dug into it it was being played as a 320kb MP3 rather than the original FLAC.

I'm not sure why this was being converted at all as there was no need to.

I too don't think this should be on by default.

Here's the location of the 3 settings
Code: [Select]
Tools | Options... | Audio | Track Change | Do not play silence (leading and trailing) (UNTICK)

Tools | Options... | Library & Folders | Run import on empty libraries (UNTICK)

Tools | Options... | Media Network | Client Options (when connected...) | Audio Conversion | Conversion: Don't convert audio (SELECT)

Spike
Pages: [1]   Go Up