INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: We will be moving  (Read 3656 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
We will be moving
« on: November 26, 2016, 07:16:31 pm »

We've been in Minneapolis on the corner of First Street North and Second Avenue North for almost 40 years.  For the first five years, I had a wood stove business.  I started the software business in 1981, just after I bought an old brick building at 125 N First St.

The building had originally been a saloon, then a small hotel.  When I bought it, it had 17 small rooms on the third floor.  Each was big enough for a bed, maybe a chest of drawers, and a coal stove.   About 7 feet by 12 feet.  I started JRiver (then James River Group) in one of these. 

The second floor probably was originally the same, but since the building had become a brass foundry, the rooms had been removed and the floor was open.

The first floor was also open, but a lot of the windows were boarded up.  There had once been an active saloon and kitchen there when the building had been a hotel.

Now, I've sold the building to a guy who has a vision and guts.  Enough to do a $49 million dollar project.  He owns most of our block now, having been patient enough to wait until each of the former owners realized that it was time to move on.  I was the last.

Here's an article that appeared in today's Star Tribune, our local newspaper:
http://www.startribune.com/bergerud-plans-apartment-and-retail-project-in-north-loop/403044826/

JimH

• Administrator
Re: We will be moving
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 07:42:21 pm »

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 07:52:26 pm »

so where is the new HQ?
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 07:40:27 am »

We'll let you know when we do.  We don't have to be out until April.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 07:52:56 am »

Good luck on the move.
It's nice to read about JRiver's history - and the story of a "successful" small (at the time) business.
Sounds like you made a nice profit on sale of the building too. I'll bet you didn't expect that when you bought the building 35 years ago.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 12:45:59 am »

There's something about that old building I really like. I don't know what it is, but I like it. Would be kind of neat if they preserved the exterior somehow...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 06:29:46 am »

There's something about that old building I really like. I don't know what it is, but I like it. Would be kind of neat if they preserved the exterior somehow...
They plan to put $3 million into restoring it.  It's one of the best old buildings in Minneapolis.  It was built in 1884, parts probably earlier.

No Static

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 08:14:23 pm »

Congratulations! Enjoyed the story.
Pages: [1]   Go Up