INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Running multiple DACs to separate systems from one PC?  (Read 7967 times)

slefty

• Recent member
Running multiple DACs to separate systems from one PC?
« on: January 10, 2017, 05:59:34 pm »

I have a need to run a single Windows 10 notebook to three (possibly four) different systems for a demonstration, using a different DAC for each system. My hope is that I will be able to have all the DACs hooked up either directly to the notebook or via a four port USB hub. The goal is to be able to select the DAC, and without having to reboot the PC, so as to be able to demo the different systems without lengthy delays. They will be different DACs, each having their own Windows drivers.

I will be using MC 22. I understand this is not that difficult, but need specifics on how to set it up. I guess I would use Zones or Zone Switch?

Any tips or information would be greatly appreciated.

kr4

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Running multiple DACs to separate systems from one PC?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 08:26:41 pm »

I've done this by setting up each output as a separate zone which permits me to format their outputs independently but which also allows them to be synched for A/B/.... comparisons.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

slefty

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 10:39:46 am »

Thanks Kal, looking up the info about zones in the Wiki it seems pretty straight forward and exactly what I need to do.

Have you run into any issues with it?

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 10:51:48 am »

Nope.  I ran one output to an exaSound e28 via USB and another to a NADAC+ via ethernet, both in hi-rez multichannel.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"

slefty

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 07:54:56 pm »

One more question, might help me not to screw up my server!

In Windows 10, will changing a zone  in JRMC22 also automatically let Windows 10 use the appropriate driver for the DAC, or do you have to go into Control Panel to select it?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 07:57:14 pm »

Audio settings are tied to each zone.

slefty

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 12:04:25 am »

I thought I had this all figured out, but must be doing something wrong. For example, I have two USB DACs (an iFi iDAC2 and a Centrance Dacport LX) plugged into separate USB ports. Both drivers are loaded.

The iFi is the primary DAC, and under Playing Now is listed under "Player"

I created a Zone for the Centrance, and when I select it, it does show that it is using the Centrance Driver, and does skip all the DSD files in the library as I set it to, but it doesn't play through the Centrance DAC. It still plays through the iFi.

Not sure how to get it to switch ports and play through the correct DAC.

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 05:47:01 am »

^ Select your Zone.  Now do:  Tools > Options > Audio > Audio Device > (select your device here).  Then save it and that zone should be tied to that device.

Brian.

slefty

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 10:10:49 pm »

Yes, that is what I did. when I switch zones now, it does show it using the correct DAC  for that zone, but the reality is it never actually switches, and continues to play from the same DAC while never switching to the other one. It says Centrance but the actual output is still through the iFi.

Spike1000

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2017, 04:19:06 am »

Nope.  I ran one output to an exaSound e28 via USB and another to a NADAC+ via ethernet, both in hi-rez multichannel.

I looked up the price of a NADAC+. Gulp! Not in my lifetime then  :(

Spike

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2017, 07:37:54 am »

I looked up the price of a NADAC+. Gulp! Not in my lifetime then  :(
Then you certainly won't be interested in this one:  http://www.msbtechnology.com/dacs/tm-features/
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"

slefty

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2017, 01:42:13 pm »

I noticed in your case, you used one USB and one ethernet connection. Could my issue be that both are USB DACs?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2017, 01:45:30 pm »

slefty, are you using zoneswitch to route between the zones?  If so could you post your zoneswitch rules?  There are some nuances to how the switching works and it may be that zoneswitch is not working as you'd expect.

slefty

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2017, 01:51:16 pm »

No, I wasn't using Zone  Switch, I was just selecting the zone from under "Playing Now"

If i can get some tips about setting up Zone Switch I can try it when I get home tonight.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2017, 02:03:34 pm »

No, I wasn't using Zone  Switch, I was just selecting the zone from under "Playing Now"

If i can get some tips about setting up Zone Switch I can try it when I get home tonight.

If you're not using zoneswitch I wouldn't start until you figured out what's going on here; I just thought it might be the culprit because you mentioned that the Centrance "does skip all the DSD files in the library as I set it to," and I wasn't sure how one could set that up other than with zoneswitch. 

slefty

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2017, 02:11:02 pm »

I set that up as a rule under the options in Play Doctor for that zone.

Rule - Bit Depth is not 1

blgentry

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2017, 06:01:38 pm »

Your issue is, you are expecting zones to auto switch when you click on them and that's now how zones work in MC.

In MC, you have to select a zone by clicking it, then select some files and double click to play, or use the right click menus to add to playing now, or a similar action.  It's totally expected for you to experience what you are reporting:  You start playback in zone A, then you click on zone B and nothing changes:  Zone A keeps playing and Zone B does nothing.

There are many ways you could handle this.  ONE way would be to start playback in Zone A.  Then Zone Link A to B.  After a few seconds A and B would be playing (somewhat, but not perfectly) in sync.  Then you could press stop on Zone A, which would stop playback in A, but let B continue as normal.  Unfortunately, this won't let you then restart A in sync with B.  You'd have to re-sync them again.

Another method for you would be to Zone Link A and B, and just play everything to A and B at the same time.  You'd use the preamp or other associated equipment from the A and B sound systems to control when you hear playback from A or B.  A and B will always play, but you switch between them and/or change volumes with the input selector on a preamp, or preamps (plural).

If you describe the way you want to use this for demonstration or comparison purposes, we may be able to suggest the correct methodology.

Good luck!

Brian.

slefty

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2017, 06:51:17 pm »

My goal is to have the music server PC feeding out to three different USB DACs, each DAC will be feeding a different audio system, connected to the line level inputs of either the preamp or integrated amp in that system. I hope to be able to simply select the output (or have all three playing all the time) and simply turn the volume up on the one we want to hear, while muting the other two at the  preamp/integrated amp.

The goal is to be able to switch with minimal down time or delays. Not sure what the actual DACs will be at the time of the demo, but they will have different needs and capabilities (at least one will not play DSD files). For right now I am testing with an iFi iDAC2, a Centrance Dacport LX and an Audioengine D3 (which has not been included yet).

Hopefully that explains it clearly enough.

blgentry

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2017, 06:53:45 pm »

Sounds like doing Zone Link on all the DACs is the way to go.  That way they all play the same thing all the time.  Easy.

Good luck.

Brian.

slefty

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2017, 11:06:51 am »

Maybe I'm not stating my question clearly. The software does switch and indicates the correct DAC. The notebook however doesn't feed the signal to the corrective DAC, and the output always comes from the same one.

Start - Zone(player) set for the iFi DAC, connected to Preamp A, plays fine.

Switch to new a zone for the Centrance DAC (hooked up to a different USB port and connected to Integrated Amp B). MC show the Centrance DAC with all its appropriate settings as being used, but the PC is still sending the signal to the iFi DAC, not to the Centrance DAC.

That is what i am trying to resolve.

Is there a step by step setup guide for this?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2017, 03:43:11 pm »

Maybe I'm not stating my question clearly. The software does switch and indicates the correct DAC. The notebook however doesn't feed the signal to the corrective DAC, and the output always comes from the same one.

Switch to new a zone for the Centrance DAC (hooked up to a different USB port and connected to Integrated Amp B). MC show the Centrance DAC with all its appropriate settings as being used, but the PC is still sending the signal to the iFi DAC, not to the Centrance DAC.

That is what i am trying to resolve.

Is there a step by step setup guide for this?

It might help if you posted some screenshots; what you're describing is kind of hard to understand as I've never encountered a situation where JRiver shows one DAC as being played to while the other DAC is in fact playing.  I have multiple USB DACs setup in several places and I've never seen that particular issue.

So could you post a screen shot of your Options->Audio sections for both of your zones, and maybe one screenshot of JRiver playing in the first zone and a second screenshot with JRiver playing in the second zone.  There's either a misconfiguration somewhere or something truly anomalous is happening.

Another potential test:  What happens if you unplug the Ifi DAC (leaving only the Centrance plugged in)?

blgentry

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2017, 05:55:42 pm »

I don't think you read my post above where I told you that MC does NOT switch DACS when you click on Zones. 

Have you gotten MC to play to both DACs individually yet?  That's a good first step.  Then you can Zone Link them and play to both at the same time.  But MC will NOT switch between them when you click on them.  That's not how MC is designed to work unfortunately.

Good luck.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up