INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't delete  (Read 7084 times)

123Sunshine

• Recent member
Can't delete
« on: January 23, 2017, 04:01:26 am »

One of the best features of JRemote for me is the possibility to delete a song from the library entirely or just from a playlist. But whatever I do, nothing happens in the library. Of course I have authentication on. And everything else works. I use my iPad to play songs remotely via the server on my laptop that steers the music to my stereo from a NAS.
There definetely is a connection between iPad and server, since I can add a song to a playlist, using the iPad. It shows up directly in the server on my laptop. But I cannot delete it. Which is essential of course, since while listening you want to get rid of a song immediately if you don't like it.
Does anyone please have a solution for this?

Daverich4

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Can't delete
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 09:15:36 am »

One of the best features of JRemote for me is the possibility to delete a song from the library entirely or just from a playlist. But whatever I do, nothing happens in the library. Of course I have authentication on. And everything else works. I use my iPad to play songs remotely via the server on my laptop that steers the music to my stereo from a NAS.
There definetely is a connection between iPad and server, since I can add a song to a playlist, using the iPad. It shows up directly in the server on my laptop. But I cannot delete it. Which is essential of course, since while listening you want to get rid of a song immediately if you don't like it.
Does anyone please have a solution for this?

JRemote will allow you to delete something from Now Playing but I'm not aware of any of any way to use JRemote to delete a song from either a Playlist or the Library. Where are you getting the choice to do either of those items? I'd love to be able to delete songs from a playlist if there was a way to do it.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 09:54:25 am »

Any change that affects the server database (like a deletion) requires authentication to be in use on the server.

Daverich4

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 07:57:17 pm »

Any change that affects the server database (like a deletion) requires authentication to be in use on the server.

Although you can't delete a song from a playlist with JRemote you can add a song to a playlist and even create new playlists. Don't those actions also affect the database?

Daverich4

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 07:18:47 am »

Any feed back?

123Sunshine

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 07:27:15 am »

I am hoping for a solution from anyone as well.

In reply to someone else: in JRemote, when you play a song, you can tap in the top right corner (at least on my iPad air). In the screen that follows you can swipe left the song that is playing. You then get the choice to add to a playlist (which works) and to delete (which does not work).
To make this happen you have to have authentication enabled in MC, the Tools menu, Options, Media Network.

Daverich4

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 12:28:23 pm »

I am hoping for a solution from anyone as well.

In reply to someone else: in JRemote, when you play a song, you can tap in the top right corner (at least on my iPad air). In the screen that follows you can swipe left the song that is playing. You then get the choice to add to a playlist (which works) and to delete (which does not work).
To make this happen you have to have authentication enabled in MC, the Tools menu, Options, Media Network.

The delete you are describing is to delete something from Now Playing, not a Playlist. Not sure why that doesn't work for you as it works on my iPad. What I would like to do however is use my iPad to delete something from a Playlist which is different from Now Playing.

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 04:59:41 pm »

Although you can't delete a song from a playlist with JRemote you can add a song to a playlist and even create new playlists. Don't those actions also affect the database?

I'm relatively certain you have to have authentication turned on to add songs to playlists from JRemote.  I recall trying this with and without authentication about a year ago and it didn't work until I enabled auth.

Brian.

Daverich4

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2017, 04:35:01 am »

I'm relatively certain you have to have authentication turned on to add songs to playlists from JRemote.  I recall trying this with and without authentication about a year ago and it didn't work until I enabled auth.

Brian.

You are correct about needing authentication turned on to add songs but this discussion has been about the fact that you can't delete a song from a playlist using JRemote. JimH said it was because deleting a song needed to change the database and I asked if that wasn't also true for adding a song which can be done.

123Sunshine

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 09:27:28 am »

The delete you are describing is to delete something from Now Playing, not a Playlist. Not sure why that doesn't work for you as it works on my iPad. What I would like to do however is use my iPad to delete something from a Playlist which is different from Now Playing.

I'm stunned, you are right! But how unlogical, to me at least. There is no mention in the screen that we are looking at what is Now Playing (to me it is simply the album I have chosen). More importantly, at the top you can load Load a Playlist. So, when you swipe and get the option to add to a playlist, I assumed that delete meant you were deleting it from the playlist. It does disappear, but in the previous screen it is still there. What you wrote explains that. Still, no solution for why you could not delete a song or a playlist entry.
The Now Playing concept has always escaped me, by the way. I simply don't see a use for it. But never mind that.
Being able to delete a number in a playlist or a song altogether from the library, is what I am after.

blgentry

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2017, 06:02:19 pm »

You are correct about needing authentication turned on to add songs but this discussion has been about the fact that you can't delete a song from a playlist using JRemote. JimH said it was because deleting a song needed to change the database and I asked if that wasn't also true for adding a song which can be done.

...and I was saying "YES" you need auth turned on to add files to a playlist.  So, the logical conclusion is, that deleting a song from a playlist doesn't work, even though you have authentication turned on.  I believe that JRemote does not support this operation.  I don't own the product, so I'm just speculating based on the evidence I have.

Brian.

Daverich4

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2017, 08:08:01 am »

...and I was saying "YES" you need auth turned on to add files to a playlist.  So, the logical conclusion is, that deleting a song from a playlist doesn't work, even though you have authentication turned on.  I believe that JRemote does not support this operation.  I don't own the product, so I'm just speculating based on the evidence I have.

Brian.

Hey Brian,

I do use JRemote regularly and you and I agree completely on the fact that you can't delete songs from a playlist using JRemote while you can add them. JimH said it can't be done because JRemote would need to modify some database which it can't do. Apparently, adding songs to a playlist and even creating new playlists with JRemote, which can be done, don't require any changes to the same database. I don't understand why one does and the other doesn't but I'm not a programmer. In any event, I asked him about it in an earlier post but he's declined to respond.

dacaesar

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2017, 08:21:25 pm »

Has anyone from the JRiver team responded for this?  I share my music with friends and family who love it. But whenever they need to delete a song for their personal playlist, they have to request that I do it from the computer interface.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2017, 09:37:16 pm »

To delete, you need to have authentication set on the server.

Daverich4

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2017, 04:41:44 am »

To delete, you need to have authentication set on the server.

This again. You can add a song to a playlist using JRemote but can not delete one. You've said in the past it's not technically possible to come up with a way to do that. Has that changed?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2017, 01:44:29 pm »

I use JRemote (iOS) pretty much every day and I hadn't thought of modifying the playlists on the computer from JRemote before.
I see that it's quite straightforward to add to a playlist. There isn't currently a function to remove an item from a playlist though.
We'll look at adding that to the next version of JRemote.

Daverich4

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2017, 02:24:43 pm »

I use JRemote (iOS) pretty much every day and I hadn't thought of modifying the playlists on the computer from JRemote before.
I see that it's quite straightforward to add to a playlist. There isn't currently a function to remove an item from a playlist though.
We'll look at adding that to the next version of JRemote.

After following numerous threads on this subject I've gotten the impression from JimH that it wasn't possible to add that feature to JRemote. If it could be added I'd be willing to pay full price for the new version.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2017, 04:59:23 pm »

After following numerous threads on this subject I've gotten the impression from JimH that it wasn't possible to add that feature to JRemote. If it could be added I'd be willing to pay full price for the new version.
I'm not 100% sure it can be added, I'd need to check the MCWS commands to see if it's supported but if it is, implementing it in JRemote is doable.

B17NNS

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2018, 05:09:18 pm »

Any news on this? It's nice to add but it would be nicer if you could take away too :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up