INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OSD causing significant video frame rate drop [Maybe Solved]  (Read 2286 times)

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
OSD causing significant video frame rate drop [Maybe Solved]
« on: August 28, 2017, 02:18:53 pm »

This is an issue that has been carried over from the last few builds of MC22, and a couple of others have noticed it too.

When video is playing (usually 1080p in my case), activating the OSD causes a noticeable slowdown in the frame rate. It only catches up a second or two after the OSD goes away. This was never the case before, when the frame rate was unaffected by having the OSD up.

I use ROHQ and my video card is a GTX960, but it is happening with a GTX1070 too.

From this thread: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,110049.0.html, Hilton and RDJames say that the MadVR queue size drops when the OSD is activated.

Hendrik

• Administrator
Re: OSD causing significant frame rate drop
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 03:51:02 pm »

I do not see this happening here.
The queue dropping is intentional to reduce interactive latency, but unless you're running on the brink of frame drops anyway, it should not cause serious playback disruption (and if you are, tone it down :))
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 05:40:27 pm »

I'm seeing this issue as well and it is very noticeable. MC23.0.41 ROHQ
I don't work my video card very hard (as I like the silence) so I'm definitely not on the 'edge' and it is most noticeable on 1080p 23p my least 'power hungry' profile setting. It's a minor annoyance but it definitely didn't used to be as noticeable, there were always frame repeats when the OSD was activated but subjectively it wasn't like the 'slow-motion' effect that I see now.
" I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours." -Jerome K. Jerome

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 05:42:58 pm »

Does it happen with RO Std?  If not, it may be a madVR issue.

Are you using ROHQ without modifying madVR's settings?

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 07:59:33 pm »

Confirmed ROHQ only.
Issue goes away if Tools/Options/Tree&View/Enable OSD is unticked.
Looks like a madvr OSD issue, the queue length reduction during OSD is very aggressive which although not causing any frame drops to be reported by the madvr debug OSD, seems to result in noticeable subjective screen 'jumps'.
When the OSD is disabled the queues remain steady when the MC Display View top of screen 'banner' is displayed (although it always causes one Presentation glitch to show in the madvr debug OSD), subjectively there is no marked visual effect.
I'm happy to disable the OSD option, madshi is very busy with lots of other madvr features at the moment so this bit of 'tidying up' can wait as far as I'm concerned.
" I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours." -Jerome K. Jerome

Hilton

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 03:55:51 am »

Copied across from other thread....
I managed to solve this frame rate drop/stutter.

The MadVR "Present queue" drops to 1-1 / 2 from it's normal 4-5 / 6 when the MC OSD pops up.
MadVR doesn't report any dropped frames, you just see stuttering when the MC OSD pops.

I changed all my queues as per the first screen shot below.
The second shot shows the queues with the OSD showing which no longer stutters while the OSD is showing.

May not be a solution for everyone depending on the power of your system but I don't get any dropped frames or stutters anymore with OSD even with 4K upscaling running.

RD James

Re: OSD causing significant video frame rate drop [Maybe Solved]
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 10:54:02 am »

Seems like it's not really a fix as much as it is just dropping the queue size so that there are fewer frames being discarded, which defeats the purpose of having the queue to begin with.
If you set it to 1 then you'd never have this issue, but playback would be susceptible to interruptions due to the lack of frames queued up.

tyler69

Re: OSD causing significant video frame rate drop [Maybe Solved]
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2017, 02:57:26 am »

I think I noticed this too yesterday. Framerate drops with madVR when bringing up the menu, is that it?
Pages: [1]   Go Up