INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DLNA Questions  (Read 1523 times)

fataxeman

• Recent member
DLNA Questions
« on: October 13, 2017, 10:48:37 am »

I cannot figure out how to start my own post.  I haven't posted in a long time.  You'd never think I worked on computers at a help desk.  Nevertheless, I have a few questions.

I purchased a MC23 Master License on May 6, 2017 but just today upgraded to the MC23 64-bit Windows build.  The first time I opened JRiver, I was prompted to purchase, continue the 30-day trial, etc. (something to that effect).  This always seems to happen when I "upgrade".  The second time I opened JRiver I did not receive any prompt about purchase/trial, etc. but I know that it will come back soon.  I downloaded MC23 from an email link not the MJR file I received when I purchase the upgrade.  Maybe that was my mistake.

I have 3 other computers to upgrade (2 Windows machines that, I think, are both 32-bit and a late 2011 Macbook Pro running OS X Yosemite).  I would like to streamline this process so that I do it right the FIRST time. 

Also, I have a couple of DLNA issues:

1.  This happened on MC22 and continues on MC23.  On my desktop (which is the newest machine running 64-bit Windows 10/32 GB Ram), the Pause navigation button does not work.  When you hover over the button, it turns blue and says "Pause" and "Double-click to Stop" but it will NOT pause the song.  If you double click it, it does stop the track but does not Pause it.

2.  Also, not sure how to explain this but when listening to a live album which would have no breaks in sound over all the songs.  As it stands now (and this happened on MC22 as well), the sound cuts off as a track ends and before the next one begins...meaning whether the artist is talking or there is inbetween sounds/noise,etc. (and there always is), the sound stops for a couple of seconds or more when it should continue on, uninterrupted with no pause whatsoever.  Although the "Gapless" and "play silence" settings under audio are confusing to me, I was able to configure it properly before getting a new integrated amplifier and starting to use the DLNA connection method. 

Thank you,
Fataxeman

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: DLNA Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 11:05:49 am »

Sorry to quote another message for a "new" problem, but I cannot figure out how to start my own post.  I haven't posted in a long time. 
Use "New Topic" in the upper right corner of the index page.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 11:10:37 am »

When you're playing to a Renderer, pause should work on the machine you're playing from, but not on the Renderer.  You can use MC as a Controller and pause there.  See the DLNA topic on the wiki for more.

DLNA doesn't play in a gapless mode.

fataxeman

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 02:09:55 pm »

Thank you for the info.

Perhaps you did not see my question about upgrading from MC22 to MC23.  I have yet to try it on the other computers and may have figured it out (have found by "license number" at least) but a little direction on upgrading (answer, link, etc.) would be nice.

Also, I had a question about the Pause control that was not addressed. 

As far as the gapless play is concerned, do I understand you right that continuous play with no gaps (gapless?) is not possible using DLNA?  If so, why is this is not possible. 

I want to better describe my situation:  My Windows 10 desktop pc is the one I mentioned in my original post.  It is hard wired/ethernet cable to my network.  I have a QNAP NAS on the network which stores all of my media (approx. 775 GB of FLAC files with the occasional MP3 on there).  I tried to understand the DLNA protocol based on the info below from your WIKI:

DLNA Terminology
1. DMS -- Digital Media Server -- where the media resides
2. DMP -- Digital Media Player -- where the media is played
3. DMR -- Digital Media Renderer -- where media is played, but with ability to respond to a controller
4. DMC -- Digital Media Controller -- software control of the renderer -- functions as a remote

I feel that my NAS is the DMS/Digital Media Server and my Windows 10 desktop is the DMP/Digital Media Player because the desktop is where the JRiver application is installed and where I see my DLNA device (a Hegel H-160 integrated amplifier). 

Yet....it also seems to be a DMC/Digital Media Controller because my iPad running JRemote can control the desktop (but cannot Pause a track as I described in my original post).  The same iPad running JRemote can Pause a track on a Lenovo laptop (32-bit Windows 7) that I have to use during the week when I am working.  The Lenovo is currently running MC22. 

Doesn't make sense to me.  ?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 03:36:54 pm »

There should be no problem using your MC23 license with either the 32 bit or 64 bit version.

Searching for an answer here or on Google usually works.  Try Google, MC23 upgrade, for example.

fataxeman

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 06:08:34 pm »

I should have said in advance, that I had searched in this forum as well as Google.  I did find some information but it is often hard to parse the content and decide what is the latest and greatest valid info.  I struggle, as I'm sure you sometimes do, to understand what others mean in their posts.  I am sure there are plenty of folks that don't follow my "train of thought."

Moving on, can anyone tell me if they have experienced the problem with DLNA playback where the Pause button does not pause the track?

I suppose the pertinent thing to do would be to uninstall/reinstall JRiver MC23 as I only have this problem on one computer out of 4.  It is the only Windows 10 machine.  Of course, that is yet another search and evaluation to determine the proper way to do that.  Call me paranoid, but not knowing exactly what to do and fearing that I may delete a Library or other some other critical file is cause for my "paralysis by analysis."

Thank you in advance to anyone that can assist!

Spike1000

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 06:42:14 am »

Some videos in my Footer may help you get to grips/understand MC a bit more.

Spike
Pages: [1]   Go Up