INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to change the MCWS/Media Server IP after a router change?  (Read 1583 times)

timwtheov

• Galactic Citizen
How to change the MCWS/Media Server IP after a router change?
« on: December 13, 2017, 02:17:37 am »

I upgraded my router today, and after tearing my hair out trying to get the Media Server's "Test Connection to this Server" to pass (after port forwarding port 52199 and creating a static IP for my server computer, of course, and even trying a new Inbound Rule in Windows Defender's firewall), I noticed when testing out MCUtils that the internal IP being used is still the old one for my server PC, from the old router/modem I was using (192.168.0.5) and not the new IP (192.168.1.2). The old router/modem, which comes from Spectrum, is still in the network chain, as a now-bridged modem only. Is there any way to manually (or automatically) change that IP address to the right one? Or should I be calling Spectrum?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: How to change the MCWS/Media Server IP after a router change?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 02:37:23 am »

192.168.0.5 and 192.168.1.2 are both internal addresses.  If you have the wrong one on one of your machines, you must have a static configuration for it.  Change it to DHCP and it should work.

For an inbound connection from the Internet to work, you would need to connect to your "outside" address.  Use "whatsmyip" at Google to get it.  The wiki has a topic called Network Access .

timwtheov

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 09:26:15 am »

Thanks, Jim. I had already gone through all you'd said, plus I'm a longtime Media Server user (since version 15, or thereabouts), with two or three different routers. Anyway, long story short, it was a problem on Spectrum's end. All's working now.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 12:01:02 pm »

Use DHCP rather than static. And then tell your router to RESERVE whatever IP address it had granted via DHCP to always be assigned in future to the server’s MAC address. That way you get the advantages of DHCP plus also an IP address that never changes.
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up