INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC23 hangs on exit  (Read 1875 times)

Funkmeister

• Recent member
MC23 hangs on exit
« on: December 13, 2017, 08:55:26 pm »

Bit of a strange one; whenever I try to close MC23, the Start bar disappears and the program maximises to full screen.  Then it won't close; the only option is to click until it 'whites out' and then the 'Media Center 23 is not responding' appears.  I can force close from there but the process is still running in Task Manager and can't be forced closed.  Attempting to FC brings up the error: "The operation could not be completed. Access is denied."  After about 5 minutes, the process ends itself and I can restart the application.

It's starting to get somewhat irritating - any ideas on what might be causing it and how to resolve?

OS is Windows 10 Pro 64, still on version 1703 at present.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC23 crashes on exit
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 01:49:33 am »

Don't worry about the process running in Task Manager.  It might be doing background tasks.  Media Server would also show up there.

What version of MC are you using?

Funkmeister

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 04:45:15 am »

Hi Jim,

Product:
JRiver Media Center 23 23.0.84
(registered  license)

Found this in Event Viewer if it helps?

Error - Application Hang
The program Media Center 23.exe version 23.0.84.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
 Process ID: 3b30
 Start Time: 01d374c7923782ef
 Termination Time: 60000
 Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 23\Media Center 23.exe
 Report Id: 1041f194-9dd9-4b4e-a944-44eeb725b8e0
 Faulting package full name:
 Faulting package-relative application ID:

Information - Windows Error Reporting:
Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: AppHangB1
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: Media Center 23.exe
P2: 23.0.84.0
P3: 5a143c77
P4: af3a
P5: 134217728
P6:
P7:
P8:
P9:
P10:

Attached files:
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER43BB.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER43CB.tmp.csv
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER43EB.tmp.txt
\\?\C:\Users\Gavin\AppData\Local\Temp\WER61F3.tmp.appcompat.txt

These files may be available here:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppHang_Media Center 23._fcd43dd0e0046f57c34862e84679dbb3e25afd_59c2fb9b_3f9863b7

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report ID: 1041f194-9dd9-4b4e-a944-44eeb725b8e0
Report Status: 97
Hashed bucket:

Edit: the reason for mentioning the Windows process was because MC had already crashed out at that point - it hangs around in the process list for a good 5 mins+ which means MC won't restart as it detects that it is already 'running'.  Process name is 'Media Center Service (32 bit)'.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 05:08:38 am »

What you describe is a hang, not a crash.  You're trying to end the process in the task manager.

Antivirus software?

It would be worth trying 23.0.91:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,113582.0.html

Funkmeister

• Recent member
Re: MC23 hangss on exit
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 05:44:49 am »

Hi Jim,

You're right - it's a hang when closing which results in a crash as it never exits properly.  Clicking the 'X' results in a hang, then a whited-out screen then the 'Media Center 23 is not responding' dialogue window with the option to force close or wait (waiting does nothing, the screen stays hung).  The only option is to eventually force close.  I am not trying to close MC from the Task Manager - I checked there when I tried to restart after having to force-close and getting a pop-up which said MC was still running (the application wasn't but the process was).

I will look at AV - I'm using Avast Premier.  That said, I run Avast and MC on the laptop too with a remote instance of MC which accesses the library from my PC and that closes OK.

JimH

• Administrator
Re: MC23 hangs on exit
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 09:14:44 am »

I realize it may make no difference to you, but that is a hang.  It isn't a crash.  You're closing it.

It could still be the antivirus.  Try the build I suggested above.  Sometimes antivirus software is OK with one and not with another.  If you still have a problem, uninstall the antivirus software, just to test.

Funkmeister

• Recent member
Re: MC23 hangs on exit
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 05:28:55 pm »

I'm on the version you recommended and even with AV disabled fully it's still doing the same thing.  I'm not convinced it's anything to do with AV as I'd been running identical installs on both PC and laptop (same version on MC, same AV) and no issues on the laptop.  Uninstalling all that on the off chance it *might* solve the MC issue is not something I'm going to do right now; I've decided I'm going to wipe the PC over Christmas and do a clean install whilst I have some time off, perhaps a by-product of that will be that MC sorts itself.
Pages: [1]   Go Up