INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC23 freezes when playback stops  (Read 1863 times)

mikolajek

• Recent member
MC23 freezes when playback stops
« on: February 05, 2018, 10:57:19 am »

After update to built 94 (and current 96) my MC 64-bit started to freeze when playback reaches its and end automatically stops (e.g. playlist has been completed). This doesn't happen when I stop playing manually, play another item by replacing the current playlist etc.

The issue is that MC won't allow to kill itself after such freeze - even though it eventually disappears from the taskbar and the tray, it's still visible in the Task Manager and impossible to kill. It won't react to "End Task" button neither to the "End Process" button - in the latter case it tells me that access has been denied. Restarting / stopping MC service doesn't make a difference. The only solution to get rid of it and run it again is rebooting the computer (when in 2 on 3 cases it welcomes me with the Incomplete Shutdown dialog).

Can anyone advise how to investigate this and find the root cause?

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: MC23 frezzes when playback stops
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 11:12:29 am »

so your running MC on a old xp machine that would explain it
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

mikolajek

• Recent member
Re: MC23 frezzes when playback stops
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 11:21:35 am »

I wish :) But you're right, I'm missing details here - I run Windows 10 64-bit built 1703 on almost new Dell XPS - which means i7 processor, 16GB RAM and the SSD drive. I wouldn't expect any issues from the hardware platform...

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: MC23 freezes when playback stops
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 04:00:23 pm »

OK the other thing I was looking for was when did you up grade to MC23....are there things MC is still doing in the background that may cause this...such as building thumbnails and the such.... also for a very long time it's been reported that anti-virus software can cause this, including Windows defender, It's now known that just turning off such software doesn't always work to see if indeed it is the problem, it needs to be uninstalled, or defender needs to be stopped. I'm also guessing these playlists are music files that are all the same type.
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

mikolajek

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 04:08:27 pm »

I actually did a clean install of MC23 but I can't recall the exact built. But for sure it wasn't an upgrade from the previous version as I did a full OS reinstall around October - November 2017. And what's more, MC was working flawlessly until the 94 built...

I use this particular device for work so I didn't install anything else, but for sure some auto-updates for Windows, Office, AV (Kaspersky) and other apps got installed.

I'm wondering if there any logs (other than those of Windows) I could analyze to see what's causing this.

As a temporary fix I've just set repeated playback :)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 04:11:04 pm »

Try uninstalling the antivirus software.

mikolajek

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 04:20:25 pm »

Excuse me but that's certainly NOT an answer... I can't get rid of security for the sake of music playback. The tandem MC-Kaspersky worked together without any issues for a long time and since then only MC got updated (Kaspersky's version hasn't change since).

I can set MC as a trusted app in Kaspersky for sure. I can uninstall Kaspersky for a while and see what happens, too. But why are we start looking for a cause from third party apps when the whole environment hasn't really changed?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 04:28:35 pm »

Antivirus software is notorious for causing problems.  Please take a look here:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=86096.msg588759#msg588759

Uninstalling it will tell you immediately whether it is the problem or not. 

mikolajek

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 04:33:46 pm »

No mention on Kaspersky in the thread, hopefully I won't be the first one to report its conflict! :)

I will definitely check it tomorrow and post the result in this thread.

JimH

• Administrator

mikolajek

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2018, 12:39:44 pm »

I've checked three options: MC whitelisting, suspending protection and uninstalling Kaspersky. Unfortunately none of them seemed to work - MC still freezes when playback stops...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2018, 03:11:42 pm »

Are you sure you uninstalled all of it?  And rebooted a couple of times?

mikolajek

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2018, 03:36:55 pm »

Positive! I did the reboot twice, once after the uninstall, then after another MC freeze and still it gets frozen... :(
Pages: [1]   Go Up