INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW: Blu-ray Menu Support (Beta)  (Read 20804 times)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: NEW: Blu-ray Menu Support (Beta)
« Reply #250 on: April 12, 2018, 04:22:28 am »

Will post a link to the full '71 rip in a zip minus the M2TS files

Also with the region check, The Bank Job now plays without error but Alone In Berlin now complains with "This disc has been coded for Region B only and will not play in this machine...." in V23.0.13 
JRiver CEO Elect

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #251 on: April 12, 2018, 04:24:10 am »

Also with the region check, The Bank Job now plays without error but Alone In Berlin now complains with "This disc has been coded for Region B only and will not play in this machine...." in V23.0.13

And its set to Region B, I assume?
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #252 on: April 12, 2018, 04:25:18 am »

Sorry - what is set to region B?
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #253 on: April 12, 2018, 04:26:35 am »

Here is the '71 Structure minus the M2TS files.  Let me know if you need any of these.  Also attached is the Pic of the M2TS files that are missing.
JRiver CEO Elect

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #254 on: April 12, 2018, 04:26:46 am »

The region setting, of course. Australia is Region B, so you should set it to that. :p Defaults to A i think, which is the Americas.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #255 on: April 12, 2018, 04:27:35 am »

Sorry - what is set to region B?

Sorry - just found the setting.....
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #256 on: April 12, 2018, 04:31:25 am »

OK - The setting works :) in that when set to Region B then Bank Job fails, and when set to Region A then Alone In Berlin fails.  I'll pull these discs and have a look at what they say.
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #257 on: April 12, 2018, 04:39:21 am »

OK - My original disc of the Bank Job is US hence the fail.  AnyDVD lets you change the region and it plays.  Just checking now what files are modified so I can update my rip and then see if that is "good" with a region B setting in MC.  I've never modified the region in AnyDVD before.
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #258 on: April 12, 2018, 04:55:58 am »

Good stuff.  Mounted the Original Disc of Bank Job and got AnyDVD to make it a "Region B" disc.  Then did a file compare to my rip and it updated a bunch of the files (non m2ts) and it now plays with MC set to Region B !!!  I'll make a note in the MC24 thread when it goes live on the main board.
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #259 on: April 12, 2018, 05:34:32 am »

Bit more testing on the Region.  Looks like the key file is the 00000.jar file and if in AnyDVD you select "Remove Blu-ray Region Code" / "Automatic" you are good to go.  Looks like I may have some rips where that was unchecked.  It probably does not matter much as the vast bulk of my discs are Region B anyway, but it is a good tip to have this feature in AnyDVD checked to remove any issues with region locking when ripping.  There is also a "Country Code" removal option in AnyDVD as well but it seems to be only related to "... specific US Anime discs try to enforce the country code in this way."  In testing it also changes the 00000.jar file but made no difference to playback.  Probably best to check both.
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #260 on: April 12, 2018, 05:43:41 am »

FYI - I've updated the OP on the BD thread in the MC24 forum on region codes. https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,114628.msg792717.html#msg792717
JRiver CEO Elect

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #261 on: April 12, 2018, 10:37:47 am »

I've been pouring over the Java code for a couple hours, and one thing I found is that BD Java code  (ie. the Applets on the disc) is written for a really old version of Java (basically Java 1.4, we were using Java 8 and Java 10 just came out)
So I played a hunch and just tried using an older version of Java, since there is a bunch of specific changes for Java 8 in the code, and I figured, maybe thats not complete yet.

So give this a try:
- Download: https://files.1f0.de/tmp/java7.zip (64-bit version)
- Delete the contents of %APPDATA%\J River\Media Center 24\Plugins\java64
- Unzip the zip above right into that directory

See if stuff changes? I got some weird issues on the disc there, but it all went away when I changed the version.
Its not the ideal solution, but what can you do when the Java code on the discs themselves seems to be uncooperative.

I am also trying to reach out to the libbluray devs if they know about this particular problem, as I could pinpoint where exactly it breaks down pretty well already (but its such a fundamental problem that fixing it seems unattainable for me right now).
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #262 on: April 12, 2018, 03:26:04 pm »

Testing now.  '71 worked out of the box.  Will run through a bunch of discs and see how they go.  I guess it kind of makes sense that there would be a preferred Java Version that all players would be encouraged to use as it is not as if all those HW players would get FW updates all that often and they need to work with BD-J Discs that are up to 10 years old.
JRiver CEO Elect

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #263 on: April 12, 2018, 03:34:10 pm »

I expect that licensed BD players have a different sort of Java implementation, and not using desktop Java. Possibly something like J2ME (ie. Java Micro Edition, for embedded systems).
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #264 on: April 12, 2018, 04:00:55 pm »

Go see what PowerDVD embeds.  :D

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #265 on: April 12, 2018, 04:03:15 pm »

Mostly good news!
- '71 and 8 Mile now work reliably
- The Two that where Hanging MC that I sent Dumps for no longer Hang MC (American Beauty - Freeze at end of the post menu 10 sec splash screen ; and The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert - Freeze at end of opening 7 sec splash screen) but they can still stall playback at these points.  I'm doing some more testing on these as I did get both working with different Region Code setting in AnyDVD off the original disc.  Let me know if you want the structures for these.
- Also Tested a bunch of others for playback (not menu features etc) and they were fine
JRiver CEO Elect

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #266 on: April 12, 2018, 04:03:46 pm »

I expect that licensed BD players have a different sort of Java implementation, and not using desktop Java. Possibly something like J2ME (ie. Java Micro Edition, for embedded systems).
BD-J is Java ME based afaik

I wonder what that means for the future support of this feature without a Java ME runtime environment given the way Oracle are removing public downloads of older JDKs and accelerating the release schedule (the next LTS release after Java8 is Java11, currently aimed at Sept)? A quick google suggests there is a Java ME SDK though it only talks about creating stubs and providing an emulation environment.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #267 on: April 12, 2018, 04:06:14 pm »

Its not like we ever need to really update Java, at least for BD-J, once we find a good version. And users don't need to worry about finding downloads, since we ship that.
Libbluray supports running against Java ME as well, however finding a runtime environment for that is even harder. There is a Java ME 8 which is relatively recent, but it already requires signing up with Oracle to even download it.

I'll upload the new Java packages in the morning, hopefully that makes playback generally more reliable - and hopefully someone planned to make a new build tomorrow for public testing, so we don't get those problems reported there when they are already fixed,
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #268 on: April 12, 2018, 04:30:56 pm »

OK - Got 2 Logs for American Beauty.  1st play worked.  2nd play stalled (no changes between the two plays).
JRiver CEO Elect

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #269 on: April 12, 2018, 04:46:51 pm »

There is nothing obvious in those logs. It seems to be working fine for a while and then in the one log it just stops doing its thing, while the other log switches to a different title. I'll probably add some more logging, maybe there is something unexpected going on.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #270 on: April 12, 2018, 04:59:08 pm »

And that is what I see during playback.  I get the
- initial splash screen showing disc loading
- Studio Splash
- Menu appears
- Select Play
- Age Rating warning splash screen and then it will either stall at the end or switch to playing the main title... at random.

Is your version of Priscilla working better with this version of Java?
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #271 on: April 12, 2018, 05:01:06 pm »

...also happy to test various versions of JRE is you can point me to the ones you wanted tested.
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #272 on: April 12, 2018, 05:21:10 pm »

I am also trying to reach out to the libbluray devs ....

They should also know what versions of JRE are "best" to use.
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #273 on: April 13, 2018, 02:01:38 am »

FYI- I did try downloading, extracting in the Java64 folder various Java versions but none worked (either MC "disappeared" on very early versions or I got a "something went wrong with playback" on later ones) so I gave up.  I was thinking however that there will be a newer version of Java being used by UHD Players that works with traditional BD-J but I don't know what it would be.  I had a dig around PDVD but they seem to use their own code with only some of the std jar files.
JRiver CEO Elect

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #274 on: April 13, 2018, 02:05:27 am »

The only other version that might possibly work is Java6, but its probably not "better", since the particular flaw I was seeing is fixed by using Java7 already. 7 was largely compatible with 6 anyway, only with 8 they started breaking things (and 9 and above doesn't work with libbluray at all anymore as it currently stands)
Like mentioned above, actual (UHD) BD players probably use a specialized Java licensed directly from the AACS LA, and not anything we have access to.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #275 on: April 13, 2018, 02:19:32 am »

That test version is "better" in my testing as less discs have issues .  '71 and 8-Mile now just work.  American Beauty works half the time.  This has me stumped and I can change nothing between plays but sometimes it stall and sometime it does not.  At least Priscilla is more reliable in that it rarely plays (but sometimes does).  Having/Not Having the Certificate folder seems to make little difference so far (or playing from Disc vs Rip) in the outcome.
JRiver CEO Elect

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #276 on: April 13, 2018, 03:01:16 am »

and 9 and above doesn't work with libbluray at all anymore as it currently stands
do you know if that is a libbluray issue (i.e. potentially fixable) or down to the bd-j code?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #277 on: April 13, 2018, 03:07:31 am »

I wouldn't hold my breath on that getting fixed anytime soon, there is major conflicts on how Libbluray works and what Java9 made impossible (mostly related to bootstrap class loading), but its also not something to really worry about. As mentioned above, if you have a known working version.. why wonder what might be. :)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #278 on: April 13, 2018, 03:24:49 am »

FYI.. I've retested all my BD starting "B" (65 of them) and only 1 showed a stall issue.... but it was a Region A disc rip.  With updated AnyDVD to remove Region Encoding it is all good (from the ODD - re-ripping now to be sure).  So "some" discs with a region mismatch may stall rather than display a warning. 

The good news is that so far I've just 2 discs that stall :) out of 133 retested so far
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #279 on: April 13, 2018, 05:26:33 am »

Tested my "C" discs (another 39).  All good.

Q: Many discs don't have a Chapters / Jump To Menu exposed.  They seem to be a sub set of BD-J discs.  Any ideas on this one?
JRiver CEO Elect

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #280 on: April 13, 2018, 05:38:12 am »

Chapters should hopefully be better in the next build.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #281 on: April 13, 2018, 06:07:59 am »

;D Thanks on the Chapters - I'll stop testing now!

Did another 38 discs (the "D") All good, but I've got a new found respect for HDMV discs.  These just work nicely and are responsive.  That test version of Java is good. 

Couple of other comments:
- If you "rush" some discs (by ffw etc) then you can hang MC or the menu is not drawn (but the background plays).  If you let them play they are fine.
- Some discs "claim" they have been played before and and if you want to resume but start from the beginning.  I'm wondering if it is due to the lack of the Certificate folder confusing the JRE what disc has been played prior.
JRiver CEO Elect

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #282 on: April 13, 2018, 06:09:19 am »

I totally agree on the HDMV discs, I see no huge value-gained from BD-J discs and they just work rather clunky.

- If you "rush" some discs (by ffw etc) then you can hang MC or the menu is not drawn (but the background plays).  If you let them play they are fine.
I was surprised that works as good as it does anyway. Some of those things are probably not meant to be skipped. I could enforce the disc user operations mask and disallow seeking on many of those, but that might not be nice.

- Some discs "claim" they have been played before and and if you want to resume but start from the beginning.  I'm wondering if it is due to the lack of the Certificate folder confusing the JRE what disc has been played prior.

Quite possible.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #283 on: April 13, 2018, 06:15:12 am »

;D Thanks on the Chapters - I'll stop testing now!
You get our Nerd of the Month award for all the testing you've done.  It was a big help.  Thanks.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #284 on: April 13, 2018, 06:21:42 am »

I totally agree on the HDMV discs, I see no huge value-gained from BD-J discs and they just work rather clunky.
+1 : the BD-J Discs are slow and to me look less professional.  I see all the UHD Discs I have use BD-J however so I guess HDMV is no longer.
I was surprised that works as good as it does anyway. Some of those things are probably not meant to be skipped. I could enforce the disc user operations mask and disallow seeking on many of those, but that might not be nice.
I'd suggest not enforcing it but it is the only way I've got MC itself to hang so far.  Lets see how many complain.

Quite possible.
I just added the Certificate folder to the rip that was showing this and it now works as expected.  Only a 1 disc test however.
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #285 on: April 13, 2018, 06:30:26 am »

You get our Nerd of the Month award for all the testing you've done.  It was a big help.  Thanks.

Actually Hendrik gets not only "Nerd of the Month" for making this all work but also "Saint of the Month" for putting up with all the dead ends, dumb ideas and proposed (but wrong) solutions trying to debug this stuff.
JRiver CEO Elect

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #286 on: April 13, 2018, 06:36:48 am »

Agreed.  Thanks, Hendrik.  A round of applause.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #287 on: April 13, 2018, 06:48:01 am »

It is amazing how well it all actually works with 0 Public Documentation.  There are some clever people out there.  What I really like is it is not just a vanilla implementation of libbluray but how well it has been integrated with MC's existing GUI, RC and feature set.  It all just makes sense.

Bizarrely, Even 2/3rds of my UHD BD work!  Hendrik, On that note are you in contact/work with with the libbluray devs (and if so do you know what their UHD BD Menu plans are)?
JRiver CEO Elect

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #288 on: April 13, 2018, 06:53:34 am »

Hendrik, On that note are you in contact/work with with the libbluray devs (and if so do you know what their UHD BD Menu plans are)?

Its mostly just one guy, and he is not that active lately. So not really anything to know right now. Once stuff quiets down I might look into UHD BD myself - later.

Regarding "public documentation", i have the Blu-ray specification for the BD-J profile from a confidential source (already made use of that back when 3DBD support was being added), and I'm sure they do as well. But I don't have UHD.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #289 on: April 13, 2018, 07:27:10 am »

Nice!  I'll retest all my UHD after the next update but most play and none crash MC.
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #290 on: April 13, 2018, 04:40:02 pm »

Retested a few dozen discs and Jump To / Chapters is working perfectly now on all of them (including UHD).
JRiver CEO Elect

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #291 on: April 13, 2018, 04:44:18 pm »

It basically failed if the first title on the disc didn't have any chapters, because the chapter controller was then never created. So it was pretty easy to fix, just always create it! :)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #292 on: April 13, 2018, 04:47:32 pm »

Don't you love the easy ones.  Beats hours of "reading through hours of Java code" to find a bug!
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #293 on: April 13, 2018, 05:56:14 pm »

Finished testing 65 UHD Discs on my Main PC (will need to test on my 4K HTPC Setup):
- 38 Play without any issue
- 0 Crash MC
- 1 Does not display the menu items
- 3 Have a Warning that I'm not connected to a 4K TV with an OK Button you can not press
- 23 Stall just after playback commences on a Black Screen.  These are the interesting ones.  They all seem to start with a 1920x1080 res and either stall immediately or just after a splash screen saying it is a 4K disc.  All stall just displaying a 1920x1080 Black Screen.
JRiver CEO Elect

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #294 on: April 13, 2018, 06:03:43 pm »

I only have like 15 UHD BDs or so (not counting some movies in sets that are probably all identically mastered), but I didn't really bother testing yet.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #295 on: April 13, 2018, 06:18:26 pm »

Spot tested on a 4K HTPC but same issues.

FYI - Here is a link to my list of BD Testing (all UHD and BD up to and including "D").  List the discs with error + all my UHD (if the Notes are blank then they work).  If the UHD can get past the opening few seconds then they work like a charm, but something stops 1/3rd of them right at the start.
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #296 on: April 13, 2018, 06:20:49 pm »

I only have like 15 UHD BDs or so (not counting some movies in sets that are probably all identically mastered), but I didn't really bother testing yet.

No Probs - Could be an easy fix .... or not :)
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #297 on: April 14, 2018, 12:32:40 am »

Got an odd one - Zambezia (kids movie) on BD.  The Menu Items appear early (during the Copyright Warning).  If you hit the Enter button at this stage the disc plays fine.  If you wait till the Background changes to the Menu and then hit Enter the disc plays BUT the menu items remain drawn on the screen.

You will see in the log 2 plays:
1st - play during the Copyright Warning (and menu items goes away)
2nd - play after the menu background has appears (and the menu items stay drawn)
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #298 on: April 14, 2018, 05:53:11 pm »

Early days but so far no reports of issues.  Looking pretty solid.
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #299 on: April 14, 2018, 06:16:01 pm »

I think I've figured out how to get those UHD that stall to word!  On the ones that stall there is an extra file in the JAR folder called "onQClient.cfg" that contains info as follows:
Code: [Select]
app.playlist-meta.file=file:///vfs/BDMV/JAR/00002/playlists.xml
debug.enableConsole=false
debug.showFatal=false
debug.showWatermark=false
log.default.appenders=none

If I rename this file the UHD Plays.  I've so far only tested a half dozen or so UHD that used to stall and they all now play.  I've got to go out and I'll retest more later.
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up