INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW: ZoneSync  (Read 10282 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
NEW: ZoneSync
« on: February 27, 2018, 12:44:58 pm »

ZoneSync allows multiple zones of any type to play audio at the same time.

It requires DLNA Renderers that are based on JRiver Media Center.  This includes computers running JRiver, such as the JRiver Id.

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/ZoneSync

Goatshade

Re: NEW: ZoneSync
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 08:47:24 pm »

Oooh, this sounds really cool! I can think of one or two day-to-day applications for this. :3

Out of curiosity, is it technically possible for this to work with video? I'd understand if it's too early for it to be in the pipe line for now; I'm just wondering if there's any point in hoping for it in the future. :)

lello

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 03:13:26 am »

So, if I understand correctly, will it be possible to get the audio out of two outputs at the same time?

In my case, could I get the audio out of both the Asus Essence ST and the HDMI of the AMD HD 6670?

Thank you for the great work you do

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 03:28:38 am »

Out of curiosity, is it technically possible for this to work with video? I'd understand if it's too early for it to be in the pipe line for now; I'm just wondering if there's any point in hoping for it in the future. :)

Probably not, syncing video playback is another headache entirely, especially if you throw VideoClock into the mix as well.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 03:35:20 am »

I've not had a chance to play with this yet but, any more tech detail on what this new magic is based on to keep it in Sync?
JRiver CEO Elect

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 03:38:25 am »

This is not actually available yet, so not like you could've played with it. :)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 04:10:22 am »

:-X
JRiver CEO Elect

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 06:21:27 am »

There's a little more in the wiki topic:

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 10:49:32 am »

I have so many questions about this, but I look forward to playing with this when I can get my hands on it  :)  Does it sync mid song, or is it re-syncing between tracks?

This is great news!

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 03:01:23 pm »

There's a little more in the wiki topic:

Now we need some HW DLNA devices to update their firmware to support these extensions!.... or a way of flashing these devices to run MC :)
JRiver CEO Elect

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2018, 07:16:36 pm »

Certainly looks interesting.

Will this functionality still apply the different Zone DSP settings if applicable?

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2018, 08:03:58 pm »

Now we need some HW DLNA devices to update their firmware to support these extensions!.... or a way of flashing these devices to run MC :)

This! Or a range of JR hardware.

JRiver1, a mini, standalone speaker (think google home mini)
JRiver2, a larger, better quality one (think google home)
JRiverOutdoor, an outdoor version
JRiverBar... you get where I'm going :-)

Built in RPi + amp.

Now, if only we could get some streaming services happening...  ;D

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2018, 09:54:31 am »

Great news! Can't wait to try this out and hear more details about the feature.

If ZoneSync will work with JRiver as a DLNA renderer endpoint, there may be a number of ways to pipe in streaming services via third party UnUP software (BubbleUnUP or Logitech Media Server come to mind.)

Thanks again for your development here!

Scott G

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2018, 08:10:12 pm »

A line of JR speakers sounds appealing, but I'd rather see a JR wi-fi receiver (with and without amp) with an analog output. Most of us already have some excellent speakers, powered or not, that just need some sort of dongle to save them from the dustbin. 

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2018, 08:12:21 pm »

Isn't that a JRiver Id, running as a Renderer?  If not, what do you have in mind?

tyler69

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2018, 12:53:20 am »

Will this also work with audio played through WDM?

nuhi

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2018, 05:14:57 am »

It would be great if this can allow us to use DLNA for audio, while splitting the video to HDMI, as described here.
Consistent latency is all I'm asking, it is easy to compensate manually.

flac.rules

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2018, 05:52:15 am »

Interesting, I have MC set up with multiple soundcards in a whole house setup, will be looking forward to testing this. Will it also work in this scenario? (where all the zones are running on the same MC).

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2018, 04:18:32 am »

Probably not, syncing video playback is another headache entirely, especially if you throw VideoClock into the mix as well.

How about playing video on only one device ... but sync only sound to different zones? (application example ... TV in bedroom running news ... sound is sync to bathroom zone so can listen to news)
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

Scott G

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2018, 02:50:57 pm »

Isn't that a JRiver Id, running as a Renderer?  If not, what do you have in mind?
I have the Id, and I'm very happy with it. But I have several nice powered speakers (Harmon Kardon Omni) that I can't get it to connect with, despite the fact that these are Wi-Fi speakers.  I'm assuming this is due to some HK proprietary weirdness (as they don't reliably connect to the WiFi network or with the HK Adapt hub as promised).  I'm thinking of getting some Chromecast audio dongles, but I expect that will introduce another set of interoperability issues. So the idea of a JR dongle that is expressly designed to recognize and be recognized by the Id holds a lot of appeal.

DwestSeattle

• Recent member
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2018, 05:36:02 pm »

How is this different from linking zones?  That has been in JRiver for some years, though it didn't work wonderfully unless it were multiple audio outputs coming out of a single computer.

Is it that you can use DLNA renderers instead of only full-desktop versions?  And that the timing synchronization is better than before?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2018, 05:38:27 pm »

How is this different from linking zones?

Its not "different", its an addition to that, it keeps zones in sync when playing, which was previously not really possible outside of extremely careful manual configuration (and generally not remotely).
More detailed information on the prerequisites will be made available when the feature is finished and ready for testing.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

ST

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2018, 07:09:40 pm »

Its not "different", its an addition to that, it keeps zones in sync when playing, which was previously not really possible outside of extremely careful manual configuration (and generally not remotely).
More detailed information on the prerequisites will be made available when the feature is finished and ready for testing.

Finally, auto zone sync. It was a pain to sync more than 30 zones manually . Thank you so much JRiver.  :)
My complete system setup in website

despinosa

• Recent member
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2018, 10:13:18 am »

Hi,
Can I use this feature to use at once two sound devices on my windows 10 htpc. For example, use a Focusrite rednet 16 and a scarlet 6i6? Such use would be for 5.1 audio using two or more dacs; one dac would connect to the rednet digital out and I would use also one or more of the analogue out channels in the 6i6. I already own the 6i6 and I am about to buy a rednet 16 to use it for AOIP...

RD James

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2018, 10:43:51 am »

Hi,
Can I use this feature to use at once two sound devices on my windows 10 htpc. For example, use a Focusrite rednet 16 and a scarlet 6i6? Such use would be for 5.1 audio using two or more dacs; one dac would connect to the rednet digital out and I would use also one or more of the analogue out channels in the 6i6. I already own the 6i6 and I am about to buy a rednet 16 to use it for AOIP...
I think this is more for multi-room audio, not combining audio devices in the same room.
Even if Media Center's side of things is perfect, I expect most devices to drift out of sync over the duration of a movie.

tyler69

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2018, 11:01:47 am »

Will this also work with audio played through WDM?

Can somebody clarify please?

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2018, 11:14:26 am »

Can somebody clarify please?
the first post says "It requires DLNA Renderers that are based on JRiver Media Center" so I would expect the answer to be no (as WDM can only be played to a local zone at this point in time) however also note

so you'll have to wait and see

verden

• Recent member
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2018, 01:37:40 pm »

It requires DLNA Renderers that are based on JRiver Media Center.  This includes computers running JRiver, such as the JRiver Id.

Will all the rendering clients have to be MC24 or does just the server need to be?  I ask because I have zones running on Raspberry Pis and the releases lag some for the pi.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2018, 02:10:30 pm »

Everything will need to be MC24.

JimH

• Administrator