INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 9.1.200 beta  (Read 16486 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Media Center 9.1.200 beta
« on: June 16, 2003, 01:57:02 pm »

Please read VERY carefully. This is a BETA version of 9.1.  If you expect things to work, please download the latest 9.0 build from this thread:    

http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=MediaCenter;action=display;num=1054751628

but if you're patient and willing to help us work out some of the bugs, you can download 9.1 here (recommended for experts only):    

You will lose any saved view schemes with this build.  This may happen again before the new architecture is finalized.

ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/MediaCenter91200.exe

(backup your library before installing)  

Please report any 9.1 problems in this thread.  Keep a list of problems and if they aren't fixed in the next build, please post the list again.    

History
1. Fixed: File converter would display incorrect "overwrite file" prompt when user enabled option "Don't update MC database".
2. Fixed: MC did not work correctly with system toolbars, if they were set to auto-hide mode.
3. Changed: Mega-me skins are no longer backwards compatible with previous versions of MJ/MC.
4. Fixed: CD burner dialog sometimes flashed momentarily when MC was started up.
5. Fixed: Re-writing of DVD+RW disks didn't work correctly.
6. Fixed: The wrong IRman plugin was included with the MC installation.
7. Changed: Resizing borders are now 5 pixels wider.
8. Fixed: Database field deletion was not working properly.
9. NEW: Introduced new system for creating and managing view schemes -- still a work in progress.
10. Fixed: MC did not have a system menu. (right click on taskbar, etc.)
11. Fixed: MC would do unnecessary updates while selecting files in a list while the file properties window was visible.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Media Center 9.1.200 beta
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2003, 02:06:34 pm »

NOTE: CD burning may not work in this build -- at least it isn't for me.  Please wait for tomorrow's build if that could be a problem for you.

Phil Lee

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2003, 02:12:21 pm »

NEW: Introduced new system for creating and managing view schemes -- still a work in progress.

Took me a little while to work out how to use this. For those that want to know, you create a view scheme in the normal way then right click on the bar at the top of the top window and select the add column option. Once I'd found this it works very well.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2003, 02:17:56 pm »

Actually, all you have to do to create one is select the <click to add view> node in the Media Library tree.

Not that I really belive they won't be back eventually, but... you are bringing the View Scheme Groups back, right? ;)

millertivo

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2003, 02:18:45 pm »

You will lose any saved view schemes with this build.  This may happen again before the new architecture is finalized.

Is there a way to export or save your current view schemes before updating?

After using this product since April, this weekend is when I finally started creating views beyond the defaults.

"It looks like I picked the wrong weekend to start creating new view schemes . . . "

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2003, 02:20:10 pm »

Let's see what lies withing this great update  ::)
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

NoCodeUK

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2003, 02:21:54 pm »

Still taking a long time to initially play after startup.  When dbl clicking an album or track it takes about 8 seconds to start playing. This only happens the very first time after startup. Normally there is no lag.

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

jam

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2003, 02:30:04 pm »

Bug list I reported in 198/199 threads:

- All track info pages (dirt simple, DJ, ..., neoTropic) didn't show Japanese character.  They all show '?' instead.
- If I install MC9.1 to new machine, MC9.1 doesn't show window at first execution.
- folder= query in smartlist is not working.
- Copy and paste of tag information doesn't copy all information selected if there are Japanese.  I guess MC9 is copying the number of characters instead of bytes.  As a result, if tag information has multi-bytes characters, MC9 copied less characters than selected.

Wishlist:

- wanna play/pause/stop/forward/backward in a system menu.
- wanna old tree-view.  ;)

NoCodeUK

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2003, 02:32:23 pm »

When adding grouped columns there is no longer an option t show indivdual items under the groups.  This means my previous Scheme which was Album Artist (GS3)/AA (GS1 indi items)/Album is now AA(GS3)/AA(GS1/AA/Album eg an extra album artist column (GS - Grouping Size just in case people didn't know ;D)

Also agree with Doof on View Scheme Groups...please don't remove these as I had things like Catalogues as groups as well as the defaults

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

NoCodeUK

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2003, 02:34:19 pm »

MC now has a right click taskbar menu but the only possible options are Close and Move.  Still cannot minimize by clicking hte toolbar button.  Please make sure that MC follows standard windows behaviour in these respects as this could put a lot of people off

Adam

NoCodeUK

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2003, 02:37:49 pm »

Not sure if this new method is actually any quicker.  Lots of extra screens now as opposed to the single dialog from before...

Is there an ability t select the icons for VS like your default ones or is that not enabled yet?

Adam

EDIT: Just worked this out.  For those that hadn't, to get a VS with the icons like the ones listed, you must click on the empty option in that group to do it eg for a VS with the music icon, click empty in the audio group when you click on add view.

NoCodeUK

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2003, 02:42:38 pm »

If making a change in a column all columns to the right should reset to default position eg when I select Series 1/Episode 5 then select Series 2 the Episode column should default back to the all option not stay at Episode 5

Adam

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2003, 02:45:15 pm »

When adding grouped columns there is no longer an option t show indivdual items under the groups.  This means my previous Scheme which was Album Artist (GS3)/AA (GS1 indi items)/Album is now AA(GS3)/AA(GS1/AA/Album eg an extra album artist column (GS - Grouping Size just in case people didn't know )

Yeah, you'll have to add a column if you want "Show individual" now.

Is there a way to export or save your current view schemes before updating?

Sorry, but there's no upgrade path.  With the new system, it shouldn't take more than a few minutes to get what you want.

Adding view schemes

There will be a lot more choices in the "Add" menu before we're done.  The idea is to make presets for most things people would want.  You'll only have to fine tune from there if you need to.

you are bringing the View Scheme Groups back, right

We're not sure.  Set up the view schemes you really use.  Remove those you don't.  Use it for a while.

The more I used it, the less I wanted groups.  We'll see if other people agree.

sraymond

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2003, 03:01:51 pm »

Not a big deal, but the Media Library has the various icons (music, video, image, etc.) for the view schemes - but only so long as I don't edit the view scheme.  Putting anything after the "media type" changes the icon to a an orange dot.

Scott-

sraymond

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2003, 03:04:56 pm »

Am I the only one experiencing slowness witht the view schemes?  A delay on the order of seconds (two or three) every time a select a column value or modify the columns.

EDIT:  This is not the case for ALL view schemes - just some (for example:  my videos)

Scott-

Soundman

• World Citizen
  • Go Music!
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2003, 03:12:02 pm »

you are bringing the View Scheme Groups back, right

Matt's Answer:
We're not sure.  Set up the view schemes you really use.  Remove those you don't.  Use it for a while.

The more I used it, the less I wanted groups.  We'll see if other people agree.

I vote for View Scheme Groups.  Right off the bat, I want to have a group that filters out all music (i.e. only audio books & sermons), and another group that does only music, with different schemes underneath each.

If it is better for you, I am willing to be restricted to adding groups only to the topmost level (i.e. peers of "Audio", "CD & DVD", "Images", "Video").

Regarding System Menu
I support Adam's comment about System Menu.  I depend on Minimize, Maximize, and Restore being there, in particular.

Soundman

Timmy_Yak

• Recent member
  • I am a Sexy Beast
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2003, 03:16:37 pm »

Min and Max of window are still messed up.  When you do either it does the total opposite.  Resizing is now possible, but if you resize to fit entire screen, task bar will not show up.

Edit:  I take that back.  They do work properly.  It's just that when Max, it does not take up whole screen, but when Min it can.  I hope this makes sense. :-/

NoCodeUK

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2003, 03:33:14 pm »

I did initially think I wouldn't like it without groups but as Matt said it grows on you.  If we could define icons for our custom VS then that would be a great compromise in my view...

Adam

NoCodeUK

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2003, 03:34:19 pm »

In what way should we apply properties now if we are using the track info windows as the button to apply changes no longer appears??

Adam

Ingo

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2003, 03:40:39 pm »

matt,

- I too vote for (optional) view scheme groups (like we had them)
- location/path schemes only show one level..... this is quite useless for me, please reenable tree-like management. My Computer is great, but slow and limited (no filtering based on smart/play-lists, ....)

sraymond,

using a artist/album scheme I too get delays of 2-3 seconds when changing album, changing artist takes more than 4 sec.

Ingo

MachineHead

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2003, 03:47:05 pm »

I don't know about this Matt. Trying to navigate is somewhat confusing. Although I can get to where I want. A better test would be to see if my wife can get around as easily. She would be a good test case for new user opinion.

This could really overwhelm anyone that is not very familiar with where you're trying to go with this.

NoCodeUK

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2003, 03:49:23 pm »

I'm not sure Mike.  The more I use it, the easier I think it is.  I think it is definitely very different to the old way but I kinda like the fact there is more space now because there aren't any roups therefore meaning the tree takes up less space as a whole

Adam

drosoph

• MC Beta Team
  • TiVo-aholic
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2003, 03:51:14 pm »

• Playlist view doesn't work
  • Can you make an option to remove the <click to add view> button?
  • It took me a whole lot longer to create view schemes than I would have the old method, just my $0.02
  • View Scheme icons dont seem to work if you alter the search field.
  • IMPROVED - I like that there arent groups, meaning it takes up less screen resources ...

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2003, 04:04:48 pm »

- folder= query in smartlist is not working.

folder no longer exists as a search term. You have to use Filename (path) instead.

10sne1

• World Citizen
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2003, 04:12:07 pm »

My Cow Skin doesn't work anymore!? :'(

Moooooooo

knickelfarz

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2003, 04:28:46 pm »

3. Changed: Mega-me skins are no longer backwards compatible with previous versions of MJ/MC.

There were made some changes in the MEGA ME SDK, and there maybe will be some more changes to improve the possibilities for skinning...
I promise: The cows will graze again soon, better than ever! ;D

RemyJ

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2003, 05:35:34 pm »

Not sure why we needed a new way to create view schemes but I guess it's OK.  The "<click to add view>" can go.

• New - Date Opened: 2003/06/16  Priority: High
    When you send a group of tracks to Playing Now from a view scheme they lose their sort order. Shuffle is not on.

Attempting to delete the '<click to add view>' actually deletes the first real view scheme.

'Recently Playing Now's' are multiplying like rabbits and they confuse the drop target.  

• New - Date Opened: 2003/06/16  Priority: Medium
    If you rename a standard column the change isn't propogated to the new listbox column headers or selection menus.

View Filter button doesn't save its state.

When MC starts, parts of the UI get displayed, then there's a few second gap before the rest is drawn.

Media Center Registered 9.1.200 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows 2000  Server 5.0 Service Pack 3 (Build 2195)
    Intel Pentium 4 2386 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 371 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.81 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 / Shell32.dll: 5.00.3502.5436 / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive D:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
     Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
     Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive D: SONY     CD-RW  CRX220E1    Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:52  MaxSpeed:52  Use MJ Engine:Yes
     Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: Yes
     Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

MachineHead

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2003, 05:38:09 pm »

OK. I let T. try this out on her own. The only thing I asked her not to do was delete anything! Understandable. I set 9.1.200 to default view and let her have at it. Then uninstalled and loaded 9.0.180. Here are her impressions:

Hi guys.  Please understand that I am totally clueless with 90% of this sort of stuff, and was duct taped to the computer until I had an opinion.  My basic goal was to make my own playlist.  

No offense, but upon first view, the skin looks cold and testosterone based.  There is not much appealing  for a female user.  Not that you need flowers and baby butts, but a little more color?  

I did find both versions confusing, but 9.1.200 had more going on at once and added to the confusion.  In general, 9.0.180 was easier to maneuver and less overwhelming.  

Also, the back button did not take me back to the last list, but to the root directory.  I was viewing a sub-folder at the time.  May be a bug?

Teresa

Kambriel

• Junior Woodchuck
  • That's all I have to say about that...
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2003, 05:43:02 pm »

Heeeeyyyy, she's a keeper!!   :D
This Space Intentionally Left Blank

kiwi

• Don't worry, be happy...
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2003, 06:33:15 pm »

1. Fixed: File converter would display incorrect "overwrite file" prompt when user enabled option "Don't update MC database".

Would it be possible to have another option, add to MC Database?   I don't know if this is the standard behavoir, since I didn't try the "don't update MC database" because of the overwrite problem.  But I could definitely see it being useful.

Also, is there documentation of all of the different fields you can use when naming files from properties?  I'd like to have more control over this, but I spend a lot of time doing trial and error to find out what works.

Thanks,
kiwi

Kambriel

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2003, 06:47:31 pm »

I notice that compilation CDs show up in a special album artist field (Multiple Artists) ... is there a way to build on that so the artists on the compilation don't show up in their own entry with just a song or two? (Unless I also have songs from them that AREN'T on the compilation CD)

Edit:
Whoa!!! Hey, it already does it! When did THAT get in there??

Never mind, keep up the good work. :)

Kambriel

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2003, 07:35:37 pm »

Can we get a find/replace text in the clean file properties tools? I have a data CD that had the wrong CD name, and I'm having to go through my library of burned mp3s and change '1 (1)' to '6' on all the filename fields. There's 144 files on the CD...  :-/

drosoph

• MC Beta Team
  • TiVo-aholic
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2003, 07:47:37 pm »

Kambriel,

Find/Replace is under the right-click menu ... Library Tools ... Find and Replace ...

Kambriel

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2003, 08:16:24 pm »

Keeewlll! Thanx, don't know why I didn't see that before... :)

Edit: Well, it works for everything but what I need. The very first part of the path (before the first \ ) is immune to Find and Replace.

2nd Edit: I found it... it's Volume Name, not filename path. Whew! That'll save a lot of work!

Last Edit: YES!! It even remembers the name when you put the CD back in, so you don't get a double listing for the same CD! You guys ROCK

millertivo

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2003, 08:18:47 pm »

I like the new view schemes.  At the beginning of this thread I indicated that just this past weekend I created about 10 view schemes for the first time.  It took me a while to figure it out.  I quickly figured out to create them in the new view schemes.  To me, it is much more intuitive this way.  Great work!

jam

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2003, 08:35:19 pm »

folder no longer exists as a search term. You have to use Filename (path) instead.

Wow.  Thanks.  Then, what I need to say now is:

- Help file need to be updated to describe "filename (path)" option instead of "folder" option.  ;)

Another issue (maybe wishlist?)

- MC9.1 smartlist potion is too slow.  I have several thousands songs in my library.  If I try to create or edit smartlists, I need to wait several seconds each time to select artist, album, etc.  I know it's beta, but...

Thanks.

scott_r

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2003, 08:45:57 pm »

Hey all..

First things first - WOW! 9.1 is looking GREAT!

Love the new view schemes... much more flexible... less clicking to get where I want.

Also, the entire interface is _much_ faster now... I really wanted to give up on skins in 9 cause they slowed things down so much, but darn they looked pretty :) anyway, 9.1 is much more responsive.. thanks heaps for that.

Only thing that bugs me (and it could be my fault) is that I can't find the "update playback order" in my albums anymore.. I have an album that has the correct track numbers but it's playback order is all over the place, and I cant find where the command is to update the order of the album. Sorting by track number then playing doesnt seem to help... Any ideas?

Cheers,

Scott.

nila

« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2003, 12:19:02 am »

Definitely find it slower to create view schemes than being able to do it all initially with one screen. That way was a lot more obvious - when you right clicked and chose to make a new view scheme it then presented you with the way of doing it.
I personally spend like 5 mins trying to make a view scheme then figured MC was broken until I came here and read the part about right clicking on the column headers - I think that one is REALLY going to confuse a lot of new users - an alert message maybe the first time they try to make one telling them what to do next might help.

- View scheme groups - I REALLY NEED these back.
I used to use them to group my music by:
Audio
Images
TV Series
Video's : Dance (performances)
Video's : Music

Each group had the search criteria set so that any views I created under it automatically only displayed those types of files - made it VERY easy.
Also, each view scheme group had at least 3, often more different view schemes under it - with the new method this would make the tree HUGE.

- The icons for the view schemes should be something we can set not something automatically decided by search criteria. To set the criteria for music I want to do: O:\mp3s\  not - filetype blah blah blah - ALL my music is under that path so it is 100% foolproof and simple.
Same for video's (O:\music videos\,) etc. - Please let us choose the icon ourselves - I dont want the dull dot icon for all my view schemes.

- Double clicking on the system tray does not minimise MC like it does with all other windows programs :(

I'm going back to the previous build for now.
Lack of grouping, combined with all my view schemes having the same icon etc is just too annoying - just means I have one big list of view schemes instead of nicely logically grouped views.
This new method for me does not work at all with the way I had MC set up to organise my files.

Audio (O:\mp3s\)
- Compilations (year, album, artist : filename=O:\mp3s\Compilations\)
- Full Albums (artist, album : filename=O:\mp3s\Full Albums\)
- Singles (artist : O:\mp3s\Random Songs\)
Artist/Album (artist, album)
Year/Album/Artist (year, album, artist)

Images (D:\my pictures\)
- Album/Name
- Year/Month/Day
- Genre/Year/Album/Name
- Location/Year/Artist

TV Series
- Artist/Album/Track#/name

Video's : Dance (O:\videos\dance)
- Year/Event/Troupe
- Year/Troupe/Event

Video's : Music (O:\Videos\music)
- Artist

Also - maybe with the new columns we dont need to create as many views as we can simply ignore a field in MC and search with the next one but how does this translate into hairstyle where we have no such option??

From what I can see it's shooting hairstyle in the foot. Hairstyle is still the old tree based system that we used to have.

Marko

« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2003, 02:23:58 am »

Can set my cd-burner to burn @ 16x, but not tested due to the hint in the 1st reply;)
Converter also appears to be behaving itself.

New view schemes are growing on me (I'm up late because of them!!) but seriously, my vote goes into the "gotta have grouping" bin too.

View schemes based on playlist groups don't appear to be working atm though. Also, there's a little drawing, always-on-top conflict going on if you move the properties pane all the way up to the drop target, like so...

and the tree-view pane has a left-right scrollbar at the bottom. When you try to drag the properties pane back down, you can't because the scrollbar pops out of no-where and hides the handle, like so...

I had to drag the treeview pane out wider to remove the scrollbar so I could reduce the height of the properties pane.
This full-length properties pane is really sweet btw. It's one of the things about v9.0 that was beginning to irritate me, so no complaints here about it not being on the right hand side.

As mentioned already, those "recent playing nows" are messing with the the drop-target too. Would be nice if they didn't do that ;)

Keep up the sterling work.

-marko

dingoBaby

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2003, 03:50:30 am »

Hey all..

First things first - WOW! 9.1 is looking GREAT!

Love the new view schemes... much more flexible... less clicking to get where I want.

Also, the entire interface is _much_ faster now... I really wanted to give up on skins in 9 cause they slowed things down so much, but darn they looked pretty :) anyway, 9.1 is much more responsive.. thanks heaps for that.

Only thing that bugs me (and it could be my fault) is that I can't find the "update playback order" in my albums anymore.. I have an album that has the correct track numbers but it's playback order is all over the place, and I cant find where the command is to update the order of the album. Sorting by track number then playing doesnt seem to help... Any ideas?

Cheers,

Scott.

You can right click in the Playing Now window to update playback order.
I May Be Listening To:

Diverdown1964

• World Citizen
  • No matter where you go, there you are
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2003, 04:16:02 am »

Overall, I like 9.1, after the performance improvements.

One thing that's driving me crazy though - I Hate the auto-hide in the properties box. I wish the tool bar would just stay there, or let me pin it up.

For the record, I don't use auto hide in Windows either...

scott_r

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2003, 04:16:37 am »

You can right click in the Playing Now window to update playback order.

Yeah, but that only updates the order in Playing Now. I'm wanting to update the order of the songs in the album listing. I'm sure that there was a way to update the actual album order in 9.0, without using any sorting, as most of my other albums display correctly.

Also, I've noticed that when MC is maximised, you can still move the mouse pointer to the extreme top of the screen and click on the window behind it.

JollyJim

• World Citizen
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2003, 04:23:34 am »

Just a coupla niggly problems ...
- can't edit the image field within properties
- can't scroll left or right with my rollerball mouse thingy

I think the new interface design is terrific. I've always thought that apps that only use a tree structure sometimes miss out on a lot of good opportunites. Don't get me wrong, for some apps, it's absolutely appropriate whilst others need something more imaginative. I'm glad, at least from my point of view, that JR are heading the way they are.

Keep it up chaps - it gets better by the day !!!

Best wishes - Jim

Phil Lee

• World Citizen
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2003, 04:56:19 am »

With shuffle set to off when I double click on an album the tracks get played in a random order. I expect it to be played in track order like in MC9.

NoCodeUK

« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2003, 05:00:19 am »

Phil,

Is it definitely random or is it sorting it alphabetically.  If it is alphabetically this is a bug.  MC seems to be defaulting to passing everything to playing now alphabetically.  This really needs to be fixed....

Adam

Phil Lee

• World Citizen
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2003, 05:11:02 am »

Phil,

Is it definitely random or is it sorting it alphabetically.  If it is alphabetically this is a bug.  MC seems to be defaulting to passing everything to playing now alphabetically.  This really needs to be fixed....

Adam

I've just done a quick test on around a dozen albums. Double clicking on two of them sent them to the Playing Now list in track order. The other 10 or so were sent in alphabetical order which is really annoying.

dingoBaby

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2003, 05:25:23 am »

Phil  go to Tool/Options/Tree View & Settings.  There is a box to check for Sort Track # for Albums.  Is that checked?
I May Be Listening To:

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2003, 06:10:23 am »

I personally spend like 5 mins trying to make a view scheme then figured MC was broken until I came here and read the part about right clicking on the column headers - I think that one is REALLY going to confuse a lot of new users - an alert message maybe the first time they try to make one telling them what to do next might help.

No offense, Nila, but I have to ask this... do you ever just look at what's on the screen, or do you just start clicking like a madman?

Under Media Library, it very clearly says "<click to add view>" and once you've done that and chosen either Empty or Custom, you get a single column. On top of that column it very clearly says "Empty (click here to configure)". I seriously doubt that if you had actually looked at it then it would have taken you 5 minutes to figure out what to do. Popping up a box to tell users what to do isn't going to help if they don't read it.

It's a GUI, not a CYECRAHSHUI (Close-Your-Eyes-Click-Randomly-And-Hope-Something-Happens User Interface). By its very nature, it requires you to actually look at what's going on.

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but it seems like 95% of the troubles you have with this program, and I'm assuming other programs, are just a simple lack of looking at it.

Phil Lee

• World Citizen
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2003, 06:12:10 am »

Phil  go to Tool/Options/Tree View & Settings.  There is a box to check for Sort Track # for Albums.  Is that checked?

Yep that one's checked. It looks like a bug to me.

Phil Lee

• World Citizen
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2003, 06:30:56 am »

Bug

I created an image view scheme to view images by hard disk location. The Hard Disk Location column just shows <all>. I can't browse it in the same way you can for music.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up