INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 9.1.200 beta  (Read 16505 times)

Empyrean

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
Wheel Mouse
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2003, 07:07:15 am »

I have a laptop and a Kensington Pocket Mouse Pro and the wheel doesn't seem to work correctly for scrolling. If I click in a specific pane and use the wheel the it doesn't scroll that pane but another instead. I've been forced to use the scrollbars which I hate. :)

Is anyone else experiencing this problem with a more common mouse?

// AJ

Sam

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Media Center 9.1.200 beta
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2003, 07:25:02 am »

No offense, Nila, but I have to ask this... do you ever just look at what's on the screen, or do you just start clicking like a madman?...

You sound like Simon Cowell.  "I'm not being rude, but..."
:)

dmbfan36

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2003, 07:49:37 am »

Still getting the LONG pause the first time you try to play an audio file after restarting MC...

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2003, 07:52:21 am »

You sound like Simon Cowell.  "I'm not being rude, but..."
:)

I might be a little cranky today. Going to the gym first thing in the morning has a way of doing that to me. ;)

But seriously, I don't want Nila to take that the wrong way. It's seriously meant to just be a "slow down and look around - your questions have already been answered" kind of post.

I may have phrased it badly, though.

JohnnyDingus

« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2003, 07:55:06 am »

I have 1 issue. :-[. When MC 9.1 starts it says your trial period is over and I can purchase the full version at JRiver. I already have purchased MC 9 and I have the reg code in the 9.1 version. I actually loaded 9.1 over my 9.0 version and thats when this started. I have loaded the new beta's as they have come out but its still there. Anyone have any ideas how to fix this? I will be glad to send any info you want. I still have my receipt of purchase with my reg code on it. Thanks and other than that I have had no problems. It does all I need it to do and much more!! Thanks! ;D
Steve

Power corrupts...Absolute power is kinda neat.........John Lennon

Sam

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2003, 09:11:40 am »

I'm going out on a limb here - because I'm just beginning to use smartlists and there seem to be many ways that I don't know about that people have customized MC using view schemes and smartlists.

Since there are no trees in the media libray...
If you created the option to add multiple panels for Smartlists, wouldn't they be able to duplicate view schemes and a whole lot more?  

Also, the new view scheme panels look to me (a novice) like a better way of creating the rules and modifiers for Smartlists, easier than the Wizard.  Am I missing something?

Could you combine the two sections, simplifying the left panel and keeping the groups?

other comments:
Double clicking a video in Windows Explorer does launch MC and plays the video, but it does not switch focus to MC, and does not display the video mode within MC.  If you then switch to video, you'll find the video already in progress.

Perhaps change "TV Tuner" to "Video"?

Full size window needs to be one pixel bigger in every direction.  already said?

Black-less icons:  Awesome.  Looking forward to more.

I remember someone asked for the darkened icons until mouse-over.  This makes those icons harder to recognize.  I think those icons should be at least as prominent (and pretty) as the minimize/maximize/close window buttons.

I don't know why, but scrolling through the panels seems easier than scrolling through the trees.  Faster?  Blue stripes?  More white space?  I don't know.  But I like it.

When a list with blue stripes is shorter than the panel size, the blue stripes end awkwardly.  For an example, create a file type column.

In the view scheme panels, a left click on a column head creates a short-cut window exactly the same as a right-click.  I think it should switch focus to the column, and maybe sort the list or allow for a click and drag...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2003, 09:12:32 am »

Try restoring your license.  www.mediajukebox.com/license has info.  Check other threads for more.

gkerber

« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2003, 09:27:31 am »

No matter what happens with the panes, the tree should still be an option, both for new users and for others that like the methods that are similar to other windows program.

I can't remember exactly so I may be wrong here, but didn't MusicMatch have a very crude pane thing?  I sort or remember seeing MJ8 and finding the tree and liking it immediately.

Anyway, I continue to play with the panes to try and make sense of the purpose and value, it might take time.  But so far, I feel like it takes more work to find things.

Sure we save room on the tree side with the panes, but we lose way more room with the panes in the window where the tracks are listed.

NoCodeUK

« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2003, 09:32:46 am »

I think the tree will still be an option...that option is called MC 9.0.180 ;D

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

gkerber

« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2003, 09:53:57 am »

Well I hope to keep the tree.  With time I may grow to like the panes, I'm keeping an open mind and playing with it. so far, it feels restrictive.

9.0.180 is still too buggy to really be used forever in the cd burning screens, not an option really.

jam

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2003, 10:01:45 am »

NoCodeUK,

Sorry for saying this, but please stop annoying us, tree huggers, in that way.  It's really piss me off.

9.1 is not my choice at the beginning.  MC people asked me to use 9.1 since it is fixed internationalization issues.  Those are not fixed in 9.0 yet.  :'(

After that, I was thinking that spending my time on 9.1 beta to see what's going on and give some bug reports is better than sticking 9.0.  However, I want to stop it evertime I see your posts laughing tree huggers.  It's OK how you like panes and act as evangelist.  Don't force me to like it.  And think before talk, plese.  9.0 is too much buggy indeed and left as is 2 weeks.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2003, 10:38:54 am »

It's a beta -- nothing is finalized yet.

So please try to keep an open mind.  We'll do our best to do the same.

This forum is here so we can work together.

Peace.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Sam

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2003, 10:58:43 am »

No matter what happens with the panes, the tree should still be an option, both for new users and for others that like the methods that are similar to other windows program.

I can't remember exactly so I may be wrong here, but didn't MusicMatch have a very crude pane thing?  I sort or remember seeing MJ8 and finding the tree and liking it immediately.

Anyway, I continue to play with the panes to try and make sense of the purpose and value, it might take time.  But so far, I feel like it takes more work to find things.

Sure we save room on the tree side with the panes, but we lose way more room with the panes in the window where the tracks are listed.

You just reminded me...  the tree structure and the ability to click and drag was a big selling point for me when I switched to Media Jukebox, a couple of years ago.  

I like the tree-free layout now though.  I think it's because I use MC in a different way from before.  I used to spend a lot of time organizing and editing, and the tree made that easier, I think.

I still organize somewhat, but I spend most of my time with MC picking songs to play.  I really like choosing songs with the new genre/artist view scheme.

Pink Waters

• Finally I understand the feelings of the few
« Reply #63 on: June 17, 2003, 11:40:16 am »

i think there is still some kind of bugs like :

1- storing cover art in files has gone in 9.1
2- Dosent play midi files
3- if you are opening media center on a different window than playing now and double clicked a file from my computer wheather media audio or video .. the media center will then play the file without going to playing now even if you made in the option that when playing a file go to playing now!!
Tamer

gkerber

« Reply #64 on: June 17, 2003, 11:59:38 am »

LOL - "tree hugger", that is good and I like it.  I accept the label as far as MC is concerned, but don't tell any of my friends about me being a "tree hugger", they just wouldn't understand at all....

I'm still struggling with the panes over the tree.  I just can't see any value in it.  But then I hear others loving it, so I know there is value, I just can't see it.

Can someone explain how choosing music is easier in the panes over the tree?

I know I learn something all the time about MC that I never knew it did, good things.  So I must be doing something the hard way that the panes may make better if I only knew about some new way to do things.  I'm serious here, others like it, there must be value, I'm missing something.  I don't like being left out!

Kambriel

• Junior Woodchuck
  • That's all I have to say about that...
« Reply #65 on: June 17, 2003, 12:17:43 pm »

As I hear it, it's not so much a matter of easier, as more powerful. There's MUCH more potential in the panes. As you use the 'pains' they become more transparent to seeing the files you want to see.

So the 'treehuggers' like the simplicity of a tree, but it appears to me that they don't do a whole lot with their libraries. They look for music to play, organize by moving Album groups of files around, but not much more.

The 'panemongers' on the other hand, do more with the libraries. They like to be able to get an exact set of files to burn, copy to a folder on a web, organize for DJing or parties, compile for compilation CDs, and things like that.

Myself, I'm both a treehugger and a panemonger. I like the idea of a simple view that I'm used to seeing, like Windows Explorer, but when a friend asks me to burn off a good CD of jazz, or to get one made that sounds something like Avril Lavine or whatever, I love the ability to filter like crazy, select albums in a list and change my mind a few times, and things like that.

Ideally, it would be good to have a switchable tree/pane view (or have a default pane view that's a tree?) but I understand that they're very different GUIs and would be pretty inefficient to have both.

So if I had to choose one or the other, I'd have to go with the panes for the potential functionality of them.

(Hope this helped...)
This Space Intentionally Left Blank

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2003, 12:18:07 pm »

1. First of all, you can do everything in the panes that you could in the tree.

2. You can also select multiple artists or albums or whatever in the panes to further enhance the filtering abilities of View Schemes. You couldn't do that with the tree.

3. You can skip having to scroll down and click on an Artist if the album you're looking for is easily visible in the Album pane. For instance... you wouldn't have to scroll down to "Metallica" to select the "...And Justice For All" album. You couldn't do this in the tree either.

4. When you couple the new paned view with the new method of creating View Schemes, you can, with two clicks, add or remove a node to your View Scheme.

knickelfarz

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2003, 12:36:29 pm »

2. You can also select multiple artists or albums or whatever in the panes to further enhance the filtering abilities of View Schemes. You couldn't do that with the tree.

Maybe I overlooked something, but I think nobody mentioned that yet ... This is really a unique advantage of the pane view ...
JRiver: A must to be implemented soon!  ;D

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2003, 12:39:15 pm »

Maybe I overlooked something, but I think nobody mentioned that yet ... This is really a unique advantage of the pane view ...

That was actually the one thing somebody else mentioned that prompted me to take another look at the panes.

knickelfarz

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #69 on: June 17, 2003, 12:45:49 pm »

OK, the one who discovered that finally made a "panemonger" (copyright by Kambriel) out of me - Cheers to the unknown genius ;D

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #70 on: June 17, 2003, 12:54:43 pm »

I just went back and checked. It was Matt that pointed it out to me. Along with, apparently, #3 in my list above. I thought I had actually figured that one out on my own, but apparently not. :(

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #71 on: June 17, 2003, 12:58:17 pm »

3. You can skip having to scroll down and click on an Artist if the album you're looking for is easily visible in the Album pane. For instance... you wouldn't have to scroll down to "Metallica" to select the "...And Justice For All" album. You couldn't do this in the tree either.

This is pretty handy.  I used to have schemes for "Genre\Artist\Album", "Artist\Album" and "Album" -- now "Genre\Artist\Album" replaces all three since you can ignore the left columns if you don't want them.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #72 on: June 17, 2003, 01:02:04 pm »

It is very handy.

But I still want View Scheme Groups back. :P

Not to mention, I really think a simple Artist\Album should be one of the default choices for View Schemes.

And why do I have 2 Album Artists (Auto)'s listed as field choices?

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #73 on: June 17, 2003, 01:03:20 pm »

Scratch that... I guess I don't anymore.

knickelfarz

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #74 on: June 17, 2003, 01:16:16 pm »

Oups, it's already working!
Yeah, as we Krauts say: Sometimes even a blind chicken finds a grain...
But I'm happy with my new toy and you all can have fun while rolling on the floor ... I will try to stay awake untill todays build is out! Let's see what the wizards will hide this time  ;)

JoshuaHorowitz

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say... other than that MC rocks!
« Reply #75 on: June 17, 2003, 01:17:25 pm »

Maybe the panes should always have scroll-bars, just for consistancy's sake. When I have three panes, the first with a scroll bar and the second two without, it's kind of ugly.

Also, would it be possible for the top-right search-box to filter the lists in the panes? It currently just displays empty catagories. Same with "View/View Filter".

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #76 on: June 17, 2003, 01:24:59 pm »

A couple of bugs:

• This one really bugs me... MC's Maximized view no longer reaches the outer edges of the screen. So if I move my mouse all the way to the top to click on MC's title bar, I wind up clicking on the title bar of the window behind it.  Even with MC's new "rounded" edges, I can't see any reason why it won't maximize to the outermost edge.

• If I edit a View Scheme's Properties in any way (for instance to force it to display files that are only in a certain folder) then it loses the Audio icon and gets the Custom icon, even though I'm still only allowing Audio files in that View Scheme.

Phil Lee

• World Citizen
« Reply #77 on: June 17, 2003, 01:26:57 pm »

Bug

I've created the following view scheme:

[Genre] / [Album Artist (Auto)] (Grouped, 1 level) / [Album Artist (Auto)] / [Album]

The first Album Artist column includes an (Others) entry which I assume is for the (Multiple Artists) entry. When I select (Others) all I get in the second Album Artist (Auto) and the Album columns is <all>.

The only way I can select a (Multiple Artists) album using this view scheme is to select (Multiple Artists) from the second Album Artist )Auto) column.

Feature

When I switch between Playing Now and Media Library views the pane dividing bar between the top right and bottom right panes doesn't stay in the same place. You can tell this by aligning the top of the bottom left hand pane with this divider then switch between the views.

This is a very nit picky problem so is a very low priority.

gkerber

« Reply #78 on: June 17, 2003, 01:29:57 pm »

This is pretty handy.  I used to have schemes for "Genre\Artist\Album", "Artist\Album" and "Album" -- now "Genre\Artist\Album" replaces all three since you can ignore the left columns if you don't want them.

Matt - that is the best reason yet, never thought of that one, less view schemes to achieve the same goal.

However, a the loss of screen space on the right track area is still a huge loss to me (bigger monitor maybe...)

And like Kambriel  said

"So the 'treehuggers' like the simplicity of a tree, but it appears to me that they don't do a whole lot with their libraries. They look for music to play, organize by moving Album groups of files around, but not much more."

I don't know, I import music files (must admit, I like EAC for ripping over MC), tag them and then listen to it.  I burn cd's for my car (which is why many of my posts report cd burning issues).  I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would want "visualations", but I respect that they do.

But in the end the power of MC is that so many people can do so many different things.  With v9.0, I don't have to wade through the featuers I don't use to do what I want to get done.  With 9.1, the new panes are in my way to do what I want to get done.  Power user features are great when they are optional for the rest of the users that won't want the extra power, and extra key strokes and extra mouse clicks to get the things done.

What has been described so far, are to me, uses way beyond what an "average" user will do.  This group of people here are not "average" users.  This group is techies, read the "How do you listen to music" and that's obvious.   I understand that thread, I'll bet about 1-2% of the average poplulation would understand it.  Most people roll their eyes at me when I try to explain MC to them and why it's better than handling the cd's.... Just the thought of connecting a computer to an audio system makes many people sweat.  These people will buy MC, but not if it's hard to use right of the box before they evolve into a power user.

I have 2 friends that I've turned on to MC.  Both are way more basic users than I am.  I'm always on them to "get your tags right...  One won't even upgrade to 9.0, too much learning time, when v8 works for him.

The point I'm trying to make, is that I hope MC walks the fine line between feature bloat for the few vs ease of use for the masses.  As a software developer myself, I fight that battle with myself all the time.  Just one more feature, one more option, one more cool thing, till nobody will use it since reading the helpscrren takes too long to find out how to do the simple things.

I am beginning to see why some users like the panes over the tree.  However I still have not found a reason for me to like the panes over the tree for the way I use MC.   There is more power in the panes, but if I don't need that power, then to me, it's an annoyance.  

Make it more dificult for the average user to use, and they won't use it.

With that all said, I'm still keeping an open mind and working with them as they evolve.  I strongly suggest to the MC team that they seriously consider keeping the tree and maybe the panes too.  Tree for basic operations, panes for power users.  Who is buying MC, what will the average MC user like better?  The group of us that make entries here, we are not average MC computer users.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #79 on: June 17, 2003, 01:37:04 pm »

With 9.1, the new panes are in my way to do what I want to get done.

Can you explain how they get in your way? I'm not trying to beat you over the head with the panes or anything, I'm just wondering if you can elaborate a little more on how they get in your way. What is it about the tree that makes your life easier than the way it's handled by the panes? Maybe it's something that can be addressed.

Omni

« Reply #80 on: June 17, 2003, 01:48:42 pm »

Tree for basic operations, panes for power users.

Panes for power users?  Quite the contrary.  With trees, actually, one had to be a power user to get the view he or she desired, i.e., someone who has a mastery of smartlists.  With panes, JRiver is automating that process for us.

Though, admittedly, this is just my opinion, but I think you have it backwards.

Come on!  Admit it!  You're just resistant to change.  ;D

Omni

gkerber

« Reply #81 on: June 17, 2003, 01:56:45 pm »

Can you explain how they get in your way? I'm not trying to beat you over the head with the panes or anything, I'm just wondering if you can elaborate a little more on how they get in your way. What is it about the tree that makes your life easier than the way it's handled by the panes? Maybe it's something that can be addressed.

Somebody should capture these posts, in case next month I morph from a tree hugger to a panemonger...

The biggest thing that bothers me is the loss of screen space on the right side track listing.  Make the panes small to see more tracks, and the panes are, well too small.  Reverse the screen space allocation, and I can't see very many tracks.  I've got a 19" LCD monitor.

It just "feels" wrong that the display in the panes does not follow the track listing.  Each pane is independently sorted if <all> is selected.  That may be power to some, to me it feels disorderly, an unnatural way of looking at the data.

I struggle to define it, it just takes up way too much valuable track listing screen space.  I gained no space in the tree area, and lost massive amounts of space on the tracks pane.  I feel like I have blinders on when looking at the tracks pane, claustrophobic is a word that comes to mind.  Even now, I struggle with font size to get more info on the screen vs having to wear glasses to see it.

Everyone has different ways of using MC, the panes are a power user feature, sit down average uses with the tree and panes, I suspect tree will win out every time.  Power user would choose the panes.  Who will buy more copies of MC, average users or power users?  In the final analysis, MC is a product to be sold, will the tree or panes sell more copies?  That is the question (unless of course, we could have both..................)

I am still playing with the panes, trying to figure out their value.  The problem for me is that if MC implements the panes, without the tree, I'd want to stay with 9.0, but I can't really since 9.0 has too many cd burning bugs.  There is no clear choice for me, I like clear choices.

gkerber

« Reply #82 on: June 17, 2003, 02:00:30 pm »

Panes for power users?  Quite the contrary.  With trees, actually, one had to be a power user to get the view he or she desired, i.e., someone who has a mastery of smartlists.  With panes, JRiver is automating that process for us.

Though, admittedly, this is just my opinion, but I think you have it backwards.

Come on!  Admit it!  You're just resistant to change.  ;D

Omni

I have never found a use for a smart list......  Maybe if I knew more, maybe I'd use them, can't see a use right now.  So the tree didn't inhibit smart lists for me, I don't use them.

I really really want to like 9.1, it would be a very bad thing if trees are not a choice, and I suspect it's panes or nothing.  It's in my best interest to like the panes, I'm trying real hard.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #83 on: June 17, 2003, 02:13:47 pm »

I follow you on the loss of screen real estate on the right. It doesn't really affect me, but I at least see where you're coming from. I'm not really sure how much screen you really need, though. The deeper you dig down into the view, the fewer files are being displayed in the lowest pane, so wouldn't it make more sense to leave that pane slightly smaller than the ones above?

I guess what would be nice is if MC could remember where the upper\lower splitter was for each View, so for say, Media Library, the lower track list could be bigger since you'll typically be grabbing more files directly from Media Library, whereas the Views themselves are more 50\50 or something... I'm not sure.

All I really know is that the tree was a real pain to navigate before when you had 2 or 3 view schemes open and you wanted to bounce back and forth. The list just got HUGE. Plus just getting back to where you were in another View was a huge hassle. At least now we have the potential that each View Scheme could remember it's position, so bouncing back and forth could be a simple click without having to scroll.

Hmmm... although I think I just identified something that we could do with the Tree that we can't do in the panes...

Let's say I have a file... Rush - The Rhythm Method and it's in the Genre : Drum Solo. Now lets say that I want to drag that to Genre : Rock, and I want it to go into Album "A Show Of Hands". If I'm in the View Scheme Genre\Artist\Album, and I've chosen Drum Solo as my Genre to help me find this file, then I'm stuck. I can't just drag it to the Genre of Rock, and into the Album of "A Show Of Hands" because no other files in that album belong to genre Drum Solo. Therefore that album isn't even listed. I have to click on a different genre to get that album to show up again, and at that point, I've lost the file I had selected.

Ok, this post definitely doesn't belong in this thread anymore... Maybe I'll start a new one for it, because I have a couple of ideas about how to rectify the above situation.

But anyway...

I'm not sure I follow you on the part about each pane sorting independently, though. How is it sorting any differently now than it was before? The track sorting follows the sorting you defined for the View Scheme, just like it did before. And the panes sort alphabetically, just like they always did in the tree...

Omni

« Reply #84 on: June 17, 2003, 02:33:56 pm »

I have never found a use for a smart list......  Maybe if I knew more, maybe I'd use them, can't see a use right now.  So the tree didn't inhibit smart lists for me, I don't use them.

Interesting.  I guess I'm just being a little obtuse today.

Clicking on an Artist then Album in tree mode is no different than doing it in pane mode.  I guess it's a scrolling issue for you:  in tree mode, more items are (were) visible at one time.  Still, I don't think this justifies deeming panes a "power user" feature.

Anyway, forgive me, to each their own, right? :)

Omni

gkerber

« Reply #85 on: June 17, 2003, 02:38:18 pm »

All I really know is that the tree was a real pain to navigate before when you had 2 or 3 view schemes open and you wanted to bounce back and forth. The list just got HUGE.  Plus just getting back to where you were in another View was a huge hassle. At least now we have the potential that each View Scheme could remember it's position, so bouncing back and forth could be a simple click without having to scroll.

Let's say I have a file... Rush - The Rhythm Method and it's in the Genre : Drum Solo. Now lets say that I want to drag that to Genre : Rock, and I want it to go into Album "A Show Of Hands". If I'm in the View Scheme Genre\Artist\Album, and I've chosen Drum Solo as my Genre to help me find this file, then I'm stuck. I can't just drag it to the Genre of Rock, and into the Album of "A Show Of Hands" because no other files in that album belong to genre Drum Solo. Therefore that album isn't even listed. I have to click on a different genre to get that album to show up again, and at that point, I've lost the file I had selected.

I'm not sure I follow you on the part about each pane sorting independently, though. How is it sorting any differently now than it was before? The track sorting follows the sorting you defined for the View Scheme, just like it did before. And the panes sort alphabetically, just like they always did in the tree...

http://www.users.qwest.net/~kerbergeorge/20030616_mc.jpg

I explained this in another thread in more detail, but, notice how each pane is sorted as if there were no higher   level data?  (as long as <all> is selected)

I have never had 2 or 3 views open, and although I do set a genre, I have never used it for anything.

I have never dragged anything from one genre  to another or one track from one album to another.

See, if I don't do these things, I don't need panes, and the panes take up way too much screen room for those that don't do the things you are describing.

The extra things you can see all at once for the things you do are great, but for me I have no need to see so many things all at the same time, so the extra things just take away space from the things I do want to see, like as many tracks on the page as I can.

It's clear that so many posters here are super power users (compliment), I'm not, since I just can't imagine slicing and dicing up my music into genres detailed down to drum solos.  I respect those that do, I just don't need to.

Who is a more likely customer, super power users or people like me (and I do way more than I think an average user would)?

Is this a democracy? <he he>  I vote for both the tree and panes....

Omni

« Reply #86 on: June 17, 2003, 02:41:23 pm »

I guess this is a bug.  I reported this in the last build, and it's still there.

If you choose to make "Rating" one of your columns in a view scheme,  you get the standard choices in the list:  <all>, ?, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5.  Selecting "?" yields zero results.

Now, I was playing around with the grouping, and when you group the rating column by 2, "0-1", "2-3", and "4-5" are added to choices.  Selecting "0-1" yields all tracks that are either unrated or have a rating of 1.

Conclusion:  All unrated tracks are being catergorized as having a rating of "0" rather than "?".  So either "?" should be replaced with "0" in the list of choices or removed altogether.  (I vote for replaced!!!)

Omni

NoCodeUK

« Reply #87 on: June 17, 2003, 02:42:33 pm »

Without realising gkerber made a good point ;D and I am not in any way here trying to annoy people, piss them off or generally force my opinion on to people but when you said that your friend will not update to 9.0 cos he sees it as toom difficult there exactly is the point.  Nobody has forced anybody to upgrade to 9.1.  It is a beta.  If you are unhappy with bashing out problems you should wait until the new things are mroe stable.  All I have tried to do in my various posts is to encourage people to keep an open mind.  We who have beta tested for J River before have been here andw e know that things always resolve themselves in the end.  I rememebr when images were added to MJ 8 at the beginning of when it became MJ9.  it was buggy as hell and I wondered how this would ever work...look at it now.  Okay it is not perfect and the guys know that but it works well.  If I make a mostly tongue in cheek comment I do not expect to be insulted or told that I am pissing you off.  The ;D smily in my post indicated that I was not being entirely serious.  I personally find the panes view has increased my productitvity when using MC and yes I may not be your "average user", lets face it, if I was I would be using Winamp, but I genuinely think it is more intuitive.  If I am an evangelistic panemonger then sue me, but don't flame me ;D

Rant over.  Keep up the good work J River guys.  i truly believe that the direction you are taking is the right one and I think people will come to realise that it is a revolutionary one.  make sure you got it all patented!!

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #88 on: June 17, 2003, 02:53:51 pm »

Please keep discussion out of this thread if possible.  This thread is for bugs and minor suggestions.

And remember.... lay off the acrimony, if that's the word I'm looking for.  Be good to each other.

gkerber

« Reply #89 on: June 17, 2003, 02:58:12 pm »

Without realising gkerber made a good point ;D and I am not in any way here trying to annoy people, piss them off or generally force my opinion on to people but when you said that your friend will not update to 9.0 cos he sees it as toom difficult there exactly is the point.  Nobody has forced anybody to upgrade to 9.1.  It is a beta.  If you are unhappy with bashing out problems you should wait until the new things are mroe stable.  
Adam

Did you ever hear me say anything about being unhappy by having the chance to try 9.1?  (no you didn't)

Did you ever hear me say or imply that I was forced to try the upgrade? (no you didn't)

Not everything a development company tries is good, or bad, that is the point of hashing things out and discussing them.  How about letting it be discussed instead of attempting to squash anyone that disagrees with you?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up