INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: music playback ticks like a record (HDMI)  (Read 1054 times)

nealsal

• Recent member
music playback ticks like a record (HDMI)
« on: December 06, 2018, 09:22:45 am »

When playing back FLAC files I get occasional ticks, which sound a lot like a scratch on a record.  Yes, these aren't rips of LPs :)    I know the files are ok because when I play them back through a Blue Sound Node 2 they are fine.  My guess it has something to do with JRiver latest version on a powerful Win10 PC - SII Repeater audio driver - HDMI interface - Krell Foundation prepro chain.  Been going on for a long time- occasional enough that I have learned to ignore them but now I have some time and want JRiver to sound as good as possible.  Any thoughts on eliminating them? 

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: music playback ticks like a record (HDMI)
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 09:37:23 am »

You could try adjusting buffers.  What is the repeater?

Spike1000

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 10:23:45 am »

I might be off the mark here: Try rebooting everything. I've had similar sounding issue (regular clicks while playing) twice now. Fixed by rebooting the MC Server PC and the PC that was acting as the MC client.

Spike

nealsal

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 12:48:14 pm »

The SII Repeater is the audio 'device' I use to get WASAPI Direct Connection audio transfer to the Krell Foundation processor.  (See photo) Googling SII, it appears to be a HDMI receiver/chipset implementation to deliver the signal.  Link: http://www.mds.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/HSR-4th_rev1b.pdf

The SII Repeater showed up as an available Audio Device when I got the Krell, which makes sense because SII talks about audio extraction. 

I have always avoided Default Audio Device (Direct Sound) because of JRiver Output note "(not a direct connection)".  And its sound seems duller than the SII WASAPI choice. 

nealsal

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 12:49:34 pm »

I might be off the mark here: Try rebooting everything. I've had similar sounding issue (regular clicks while playing) twice now. Fixed by rebooting the MC Server PC and the PC that was acting as the MC client.

Spike
Spike- MC Server and client are the same machine in my instance, and gets rebooted very frequently. 

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 01:49:45 pm »

MC Server and client are the same machine in my instance, and gets rebooted very frequently.
Why are you using the client and server on the same machine?

nealsal

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 06:37:55 am »

Why not?  I have a PC with music on the hard drive and the J River application to play it.  (I maintain an MP3 copy of everything on a NAS to do multi-zone music using Sonos.)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 06:41:32 am »

Because it adds a little complexity.  It works, but why do it?  Try playback without using it in client/server mode.  Just to test.

Also try testing playback to another device.  You've got several.

And buffers.

By the way, it's JRiver now, not J River.  It's important for search.
Pages: [1]   Go Up