INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 9.0.177 available  (Read 8114 times)

Nikolay

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Former CTO, JRiver, Inc.
Media Center 9.0.177 available
« on: May 22, 2003, 01:49:21 pm »

Media Center 9.0.177 is available:

ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/MediaCenter90177.exe

History:
1. Fixed: Importing files (especially over a network) could be slow on some systems.
2. Fixed: Pausing / unpausing MC could cause a hang in some cases.
3. Changed: Gif and BMP files are excluded from default extensions list.
4. NEW: Added new keyword to Track Info plug-in (TrackInfo_IsEmpty)
5. Changed: IR Man plug-in is now included to MC's install package.

NoCodeUK

Re: Media Center 9.0.177 available
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2003, 01:57:21 pm »

Nice one!  You nailed that sucker (the pause bug) then!  Well Done Guys...  That one could be a real nightmare!!

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

mkutsen

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2003, 02:22:23 pm »

Can the rewind and fast forward buttons rewind and fast forward in real time like in other players?
I mean while you are holding the button.

Thanks for fixing the pause bug!

5TillFree

• Recent member
  • Rock On!
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2003, 02:53:51 pm »

Glad to hear about the fix for the hanging. Wasn't sure if it was just me experiencing it! :) Also, removing the images (bmp,gif,jpg) as default associations was a good idea. I kept having to uncheck them during upgrade. Keep up the excellent work!

PS-

This isn't a bug just a question. Is there a way to stop MC from opening a full-screen window when playing real media files?.  I'd just like a simple control bar.
»» Select Windows Freeware ««
http://www.SelectFreeware.com

canaro99

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2003, 04:36:15 pm »

When adding keywords to 250 files I received the warning message which extended into the "explorer" pane. After answering the question, the explorer-half of the message box did not "erase" as did the rest of the box.

Thanks, John
Thank you,

John

jeffh

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2003, 05:41:57 pm »

My library has both ape and MP3 files for every song. I had a view filter setup to only show ape files. I then right clicked on an album under media library and selected play. What I did not expect was that it would add both the ape and mp3 files from the album into the now playing list. The now playing list also does not use the view filter... All of this seemed strange to me as it is not easy to add just the format that I am interested into the now playing.  Add to now playing has the same behavior...

jaylopez

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2003, 05:46:00 pm »

I tried 9.0.177 and while better, it's still a bit slow.

Setup: MC on client pulling import over network mapped drive.

1)  Installed 9.0.177.  Import into a new Library.  Started at 8:22p and manually ended at 8:31p.  MC had imported 1350 files.

2)  Reinstalled special version of MC (http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=MediaCenter;action=display;num=1050949278 ; Reply #45).  Ran MC again and imported into a new library.  Started at 8:32p and manually ended at 8:41p.  MC had imported 4993 files.  This special version of MC is importing about 3 times faster than 9.0.177.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2003, 06:07:30 pm »

Jay,

We'll have to keep digging.

Until then, see if changing the path for images in MC -> Options -> File Naming & Location makes any difference.

Also, are you importing from folders that have lots of other files in them? (like one giant music folder instead of broken by album?)

Also, the second import is always faster. (system caching)  Maybe switch back and time again to see if there really is a difference. (the one slow part from your log is no longer run for UNC files, so I didn't expect a difference)

Thanks!
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

canaro99

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2003, 07:18:29 pm »

I don't know what's happened with this build.

I just tried to synch my second iPod (they're both 20 gig) and when I select "synch" I get a small dialogue box with a "red X" -- the program crashes.

Ugh!! :P

Any ideas???

John
Thank you,

John

tofer

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2003, 08:30:14 pm »

I have had this problem for the last several builds.  My music directories are arranged simply by album\songtitle. (no directories for artist).  When I import or populate a new library, everything shows up in the library twice, even though the directory only has one copy of each file (no dual formats).   This is really becoming an issue for me. please help :) ?

Holden

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2003, 10:09:40 pm »

In any builds after 9.0.172 I have been unable to drag files from the playlist screen to any playlist. When trying to do this I get a message saying "Contacting Real Player to download software" Seems weird to be going to Real site when I don't want anything to do with them. At this point MC crashes and I have to Control-Alt-Delete to get out.

Always going back to build 172 allows me to do this normally.

Any ideas?

Holden

Media Center Registered 9.0.172 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows Me
Intel Pentium 4 1495 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 225 MB
Resource Info: System - 47 %, GDI - 76 %, User - 47 %

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.81 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
Shell32.dll: 5.50.4134.100
wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0001) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: N/A

Ripping /   Drive G:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive H:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive H: MATSHITA CD-RW  CW-7586     Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:8  MaxSpeed:8  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: Yes
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None
...happy to be among such a great bunch of members. Holden

sirshambling

• Galactic Citizen
  • real soul lives on....
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2003, 11:18:05 pm »

Neither 176 nor 177 were found when I went to Help/Check for updates.

I got the "no updates avaialble" message.

Is this right?

John

Cmagic

• Enjoying life with a little music....
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2003, 12:48:03 am »

As John just mentionned, the "check for update" feature is a bit strange.
I try udpating from 9.0.172, MC found an update and installed 9.0175 when I was expecting 9.0.177 ?

Have a nice day

Christian.
Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)

Deivit

• I find your interest interesting...
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2003, 01:20:53 am »

Neither 176 nor 177 were found when I went to Help/Check for updates.

I got the "no updates avaialble" message.

Is this right?

John

I remember having read a post from JimH saying that the upgrades go first to the forum and only when they are considered stable they show up in the "check for update" thing.

JollyJim

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2003, 02:02:15 am »

I'm getting something similar to Holden's problem.

Dragging a track from the main window into a view scheme, eg Genre/Rock, causes :-

MC freezes for approa a minute
then tries to access any radio website that it cares to
then freezes for a while
then tries to download Real
then freezes totally

It normally finishes up by needing a power off reboot.

Jim

mkutsen

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2003, 02:26:36 am »

MC9 crashes frequently when steaming especially when using ASIO.   (it should say streaming not steaming, but you all knew that)

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2003, 03:04:54 am »

2)MC9 crashes frequently when steaming especially when using ASIO.

If your computer is steaming, it's no wonder you get crashes. I'd suggest you get better cooling for your processor! Perhaps a casefan or two as well... ;D
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

Cmagic

• Enjoying life with a little music....
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2003, 04:12:55 am »

I remember having read a post from JimH saying that the upgrades go first to the forum and only when they are considered stable they show up in the "check for update" thing.  

Then in this case "check for update.." behaviour is quite logical. Thanks for the info Deivit.

C.
Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)

jaylopez

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2003, 04:55:41 am »

Jay,

We'll have to keep digging.

Until then, see if changing the path for images in MC -> Options -> File Naming & Location makes any difference.

Also, are you importing from folders that have lots of other files in them? (like one giant music folder instead of broken by album?)

Also, the second import is always faster. (system caching)  Maybe switch back and time again to see if there really is a difference. (the one slow part from your log is no longer run for UNC files, so I didn't expect a difference)

Thanks!

Here is the folder structure:
The server has a folder (mapped as V drive on network).  Within this folder, are 33 other folders broken down by genre.  Each of those 33 folders has between 36 and 614 files.  File naming structure is artist-song.mp3.

Reinstalled 9.0.177.

Path for Images:
I checked the settings, and MC was pointing to a folder
for Track Images "C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\Data\Cover Art\".  This folder did not exist on its own, so I manually created the folder, closed MC, opened again.  Cleared the Library, and started import again.

Today:  9.0.1.77 with manual Cover Art folder changes-
Started import at 7:34am, and manually stopped at 7:43.  MC had imported 1453 files.

Last Night: 9.0.177 (Cover Art folder settings pointing to non-existant folder)-
Started import at 8:22p and manually ended at 8:31p.  MC had imported 1350 files.

Last Night:  special version of MC.-
Started import at 8:32p and manually stoped at 8:41p.  MC had imported 4993 files

Notes:  For each new import, I always create a new Library file to be safe, in case it is caching in some way.

SteveG

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2003, 06:18:14 am »

John,

If your one iPod works fine and the other does not, probably the database in the failing one is messed up. Try running iPod updater on it and then connect to MC and right click and select "Format". You will lose all your files, but hopefully get back up and running.

Steve

Bartabedian

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2003, 07:11:24 am »

Here is the folder structure:
The server has a folder (mapped as V drive on network).  Within this folder, are 33 other folders broken down by genre.  Each of those 33 folders has between 36 and 614 files.  File naming structure is artist-song.mp3.

Jay,

That's an awful lot of files for one directory being trolled over a network. And if say 10 of these folders has as many as 600 files each, that will add to your slow down incrementaly.

I can't say that's where the big problem is, but that's definitely a considerable "speed bump" in your chain.

SeanC

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2003, 08:04:25 am »

Jay,

That's an awful lot of files for one directory being trolled over a network. And if say 10 of these folders has as many as 600 files each, that will add to your slow down incrementaly.

I can't say that's where the big problem is, but that's definitely a considerable "speed bump" in your chain.

I have approximately 7,500 files in several hundred subdirs.  I have a network drive letter connected to my local share (O:\ points to e:\mp3\) and import has always been very quick for me.  I'll try it out with .177 and see if it's slower, but the directory structure has always seemed fine.

gdp2000

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2003, 08:53:54 am »

Hi.

Don't know if this has been posted before, if so, then don't be to angry, though this is my first post.

::)

When you're in trial period and start a second instance of MC, the trial period will expire.

C Ya
gdp2000

(Not listening to anything, because MC isn't working any longer)

:(

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2003, 09:08:51 am »

Hi.

When you're in trial period and start a second instance of MC, the trial period will expire.

gdp2000

You can only run a single instance of MC.

Bartabedian

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2003, 09:56:08 am »

I have approximately 7,500 files in several hundred subdirs.  I have a network drive letter connected to my local share (O:\ points to e:\mp3\) and import has always been very quick for me.  I'll try it out with .177 and see if it's slower, but the directory structure has always seemed fine.

I'm referring to the amount of files in one folder, not sub folders, and several of his could have 600 plus files in a single folder. If it were divided into (several hundred) subfolders as yours is, then that would increase performance significantly over the network.

jaylopez

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2003, 02:51:27 pm »

Jay,

Ran some more comparisons over the network given the same folder structure as described above:

1) Musicmatch Jukebox 8.0:
Imported 584 files per minute

2) RealOne Player:
Imported 464 files per minute

3) Media Center 9.0.177:
Imported 152 files per minute  <----------

4) Special Media Center from http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=MediaCenter;action=display;num=1050949278

Imported 539 files per minute

Summary:
It seems that the network is not the issue, as Musicmatch Jukebox and RealOne Player import significantly faster than 9.0.177.  I'm not sure what is stripped out of #4 above, but it imports significantly faster than 9.0.177 also.  I'm not complaining, but I'd love to use MC over the network.  :-)

Shadowen

• World Citizen
  • He was but a shadow of his former self...
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2003, 02:53:58 pm »

I've posted about these problems before but I just wanted to bring this up again since I haven't received a fix yet.

First Problem:
I am having problems with the following files not being registered when I upgrade from one version to another.

"C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\TV\MJVideoEncoder.ax"

"C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\TV\MJVideoDecoder.ax"

If I completely remove MC and install it fresh, then they register OK.

To duplicate this perform the following steps:

1 - Install MC (any build previous to current release)
2 - Go into TV Tuner options under Advanced.
3 - Select Recording tab and create a custom Recording/Timeshifting Profile that uses the JRiver Video Codec 1.0.
4 - Exit MC
5 - Upgrade MC to the latest build.
6 - Go back into TV Tuner options under Advanced.
7 - Go to Recording tab and edit the Recording/Timeshifting profile you previously created.
8 - You will notice that the profile is now using the Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Codec V1 and that the JRiver Video Codec 1.0 is missing from the pull-down list.
9 - Cancel out of the changes and exit MC.
10 - Run the following commands:

regsvr32 /s "C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\TV\MJVideoEncoder.ax"
regsvr32 /s "C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\TV\MJVideoDecoder.ax"

Now go back and look at the Recording/Timeshifting profile and the JRiver Video Codec 1.0 is back again.

Second Problem:
When viewing a TV program in the TV Tuner there is a little pause button at the bottom of the window.  If I press pause the video pauses, but the button does not change to the play icon.  It always displays the pause icon.  This is not a problem when listening to music files, only when watching TV.

Soundman

• World Citizen
  • Go Music!
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2003, 05:17:39 pm »

Hello.

I need the Automation SDK to be able to get & set the filter string property on a Smartlist or View Scheme.

Thanks,
Soundman

jhuff

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2003, 05:53:45 pm »

While watching TV; there seems to be a vertical line left above the screen when you minimize the channels sidebar, in the same position that the line that separates the TV screen from the Channels sidebar occupies when the Channels sidebar is open.  This is in the box that contains the drop down list (Display, Introduction, TV Guide, Yahoo TV). Shouldn't it have moved over to separate the Channels>> button from the drop down list instead of seeming to run through the drop down list? Sometimes, after the MC screen has been obscured by other windows for a while and you bring it to the front, the line extends the whole way from the top to the bottom of the TV screen.

jhuff

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2003, 07:34:28 pm »

Sorry, I was wrong about how to reproduce the full height verticle line. It happens everytime I go from fullscreen to internal display in the TV player.  ;)

Omni

« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2003, 07:42:23 pm »

2. Fixed: Pausing / unpausing MC could cause a hang in some cases.

I had hoped that this would be related to the bug I posted a few versions ago, but apparently not.  :(

To reiterate, if left continuously playing for four to five hours, MC will hang repeating its last frame buffer over and over until the task is killed.

In my last bug report, I indicated that it seemed to be happening during the fade-in/fade-out part of a song, but this is not true.  It will happen at any random point in a song (and for any random song for that matter).

To the unfortunate debugger:  This is 100% repeatable (good news), at least on my system; it takes many hours for it to happen though (bad news); and all my files are WMA lossless.

Omni

Code: [Select]
Media Center Registered 9.0.177 -- E:\bin\audio\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2798 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1048 MB, Free - 649 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1145 (xpsp2.021108-1929) / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive R:   Copy mode:ModeSecure   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive S:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive R: YAMAHA   CRW-F1E            Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:40  MaxSpeed:44  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes

gdp2000

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2003, 03:05:01 am »

You can only run a single instance of MC.

Yes, you're right Jim. I mean, when you try to start a second instance of MC when the first one is minimized to systemtray, then the problem occurs.

LisaRCT

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2003, 10:18:27 am »

Buffering . . . .
While listening to MP3's I find that after a few songs  MC9 keeps stating that it is buffering for extended periods of time.  Turning off cross-fading helped eliminate noise generated during song cross-over, but did not fully remedy the buffering situation.
With my system resources being rather sufficient (and available) I find this odd. Any suggestions?

Media Center Registered 9.0.177 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 1731 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1572 MB, Free - 896 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1145 (xpsp2.021108-1929) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive N:   Copy mode:ModeSecure   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive O:   Copy mode:ModeSecure   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive P:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive P: PLEXTOR  CD-R   PX-W4012A   Addr: 0:1:0  Speed:40  MaxSpeed:40  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: No

behar1

Media Center 9.0.177 available (Or is it?)
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2003, 02:13:31 am »

I have tried  more than three MC9 releases including the 90177
I have two different machines a Pentium III laptop and a Pentium IV Desktop that don't have anything in common
except Wxp and the fact that they both don't have any problems none what so ever.

I experienced the same problem on both machines as follows
Right towards the end of burning process when the indicator box displays the text"Writing lead out "
There comes a message from Mr. Gates "Media Core has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience"
If I OK the message MC9 closes and I'll have an addition to my Coaster Collection, Which for years has been stagnant until I decided to give MC9 a try.

And strangely enough if I leave it alone until there is no more spin noise is heard from the drive the Pentium IV comes through with a perfect CD and
the Pentium III comes through with a Coaster no matter what.

Error Message details are as follows

"AppName: media jukebox.exe       AppVer: 9.0.177.0       ModName: cdwriter.ocx
ModVer: 1.0.0.70       Offset: 00010080

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?>
<DATABASE>
<EXE NAME="Media Jukebox.exe" FILTER="GRABMI_FILTER_PRIVACY">
   <MATCHING_FILE NAME="CDManager.dll" SIZE="487424" CHECKSUM="0xB859D42C" BIN_FILE_VERSION="2.0.51.0" BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="2.0.51.0" PRODUCT_VERSION="2.0.51" FILE_DESCRIPTION="CDManager Module" COMPANY_NAME="JRiver, Inc." PRODUCT_NAME="CDManager Module" FILE_VERSION="2.0.51" ORIGINAL_FILENAME="CDManager.DLL" INTERNAL_NAME="CDManager" LEGAL_COPYRIGHT="Copyright (C) 1999-2003, JRiver, Inc." VERFILEDATEHI="0x0" VERFILEDATELO="0x0" VERFILEOS="0x4" VERFILETYPE="0x2" MODULE_TYPE="WIN32" PE_CHECKSUM="0x0" LINKER_VERSION="0x0" UPTO_BIN_FILE_VERSION="2.0.51.0" UPTO_BIN_PRODUCT_VERSION="2.0."

From the looks of  it the error message is hinting to an ACTIVEX control problem
If I can only go back to my(Visual) basics I could probably tackle it but I am neither the J. RIVER company
to resign it, if it wasn't properly written nor do I have the time or the patience for it

Currently I am using the MIXMEISTER PRO4,CDRWin 5.05 and even the all powerful and unfriendly EXACT AUDIO COPY on both
machines without a glitch and just wanted to give a try to a program made in my Country, but looks like we are not quite there yet.
Because forget Roxio, MC9 still seems to be the best we have to offer despite the crawling bugs in it

My friendly advice to J. RIVER techies is do not label a program final until it's really is final and more or less bug free
Because once you do your reputation and that of  your Company's is riding on it

Anyways here are a couple of useful and FREE links
This first two will display the capabilities(be it CD TEXT or Multi session)of all the CD/RW drives installed
http://www.bustrace.com/downloads/CDIdentifier.exe

http://www.cdspeed2000.com/files/NeroInfoTool_1032.zip

And this second one will display your system info including all the hardware and even your win key#
http://www.aida32.hu/download/aida32ee_350.exe
Pages: [1]   Go Up