INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW: Movie Trailers  (Read 14444 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
NEW: Movie Trailers
« on: January 07, 2019, 10:59:23 am »

Now when Media Center looks up a movie from TheMovieDB, it puts the trailer for the movie in the "Trailer" field (a new field).

Then in Theater View if you pick the movie, there is an option "Trailer" available from the top roller.  When you view a details list with the column "Trailer" showing, there is a play icon to start the trailer.

Right now all the trailers come from YouTube, but the system should allow the trailer to be anywhere.

Feel free to post questions or comments here.  Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: NEW: Movie Trailers
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 01:58:17 pm »

Just to follow suit with the other thread, this is an MC25 feature that will come to beta in the next few days.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 02:27:19 pm »

Mmmm could this be used to browse (and watch) trailers for movies you don't have? (with say a default sort order from newest to oldest)?
JRiver CEO Elect

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 02:35:03 pm »

Well I just named one of my movies "Replica" (the name of a new movie), did a lookup and got a trailer.

So I guess we might be able to build on something like that?

Not quite sure how the database values would work though.

Help brainstorm :)

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 02:50:55 pm »

Will the Trailer file be downloaded from YouTube, and then played using the MC engine?

Or will the trailer be streamed from YouTube and require the WDM Driver to be installed and configured?

EDIT: Maybe I shouldn't associate streaming the WDM, as I guess you could stream and play in the MC engine.

So the question is will the trailer be played in the MC engine, or in a browser requiring the WDM Driver?
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 02:53:47 pm »

Will the Trailer file be downloaded from YouTube, and then played using the MC engine?

Or will the trailer be streamed from YouTube and require the WDM Driver to be installed and configured?

It will play from the website through our video engine.  The same as if you click a YouTube video and pick to watch.  No need for the WDM driver.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 02:54:37 pm »

Too quick Matt!

Okay. That is good.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 03:01:32 pm »

Actually, what I was thinking on is pretty much already there in Theater View--> On Line--> YouTube--> Movie Trailers.  You could add a couple of options like Download / Import and maybe a tag called "To Buy"?
JRiver CEO Elect

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 04:14:28 pm »

Mmmm could this be used to browse (and watch) trailers for movies you don't have? (with say a default sort order from newest to oldest)?
Where would that list come from?  Could you make a playlist of names?

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 05:14:11 pm »

Could this be expanded to also download "backdrops" for movies to be used in Theater View and other places via MCWS?
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2019, 05:51:47 pm »

The backdrops Theater View uses are loaded on demand and never stored anywhere, but its a simple query against TheMovieDB with the movies name to get them, so instead of asking MCWS you could just ask their service - which MCWS would be doing anyway.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2019, 06:23:24 am »

The difference would be that MCWS would not be calling their service.  MC could (optionally) download and centrally store the backdrops like it does the poster in the initial Get Movie & TV Info lookup.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2019, 07:13:01 am »

This entire feature doesn't download anything, it also just plays a trailer video "on demand" straight from YouTube, so I'm not seeing the relation anyhow.
Storing a lot of binary data has a bunch of headaches attached to it, which is why we try to avoid it. I don't see that moving away from dynamic loading on demand. Any other client that also wants such data can just do the same on-demand lookup.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2019, 07:37:13 am »

The only relation is that you are now getting extra information from TheMovieDB (apparently a trailer URL) so I was requesting you consider adding an optional backdrop download.  I guess that is a definite NO :).  Sorry to derail the trailer discussion.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2019, 06:50:55 pm »

If the [Trailer] field has been populated in MC, surely MCWS could be used by any external App (MO 4Media  8)) to read that data and then initiate its own streaming of the trailer from YouTube.

So it would just mean any users who wanted trailers on their device would need to update Movies in MC using the "Get Movie & TV Info" function, so that the trailer field was populated.

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2019, 05:58:51 pm »

Working good in theater view.
Would also like a PLAY link in standard view when hovering over a movie in thumbnails or tiles mode.
Add along with the PLAY, TAG, and MENU links that appear as shown under Infinity War in my screen shot.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2019, 08:15:45 pm »

Interesting.

Using the "Details" List Style in Standard View, the trailer field has a link arrow to the left of the field contents regardless of the field setting "Show link in checkbox".

Has this been hardcoded rather than using the Library field settings?

Not that I would want the link removed. It just doesn't seem standard practice.  :o

BTW Zxsix, that is one way to launch the trailer from within Standard View, but it isn't available using the Thumbnail List Style. Maybe the solution to launch the trailer in Standard View using the Thumbnails List Style would be to put a small arrow in one corner of the Thumbnail, which wouldn't use much space, unlike adding the word "Trailer" or similar.

PS: Good choice of movies, though "Ant-Man and the Wasp" was a little weak.  ;)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2019, 08:03:56 am »

Working good in theater view.
Would also like a PLAY link in standard view when hovering over a movie in thumbnails or tiles mode.
Add along with the PLAY, TAG, and MENU links that appear as shown under Infinity War in my screen shot.

Next build we'll try this:
Changed: Added the right-click menu command "Play Trailer" to any video that has a trailer (also shows when you click "Menu" on a thumbnail).

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2019, 08:34:00 pm »

TheaterView:  Looks good but the the Arrow Keys don't work as with a "real" file.  I presume this is because it is a stream?
JRiver CEO Elect

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2019, 08:55:38 pm »

Changed: Added the right-click menu command "Play Trailer" to any video that has a trailer (also shows when you click "Menu" on a thumbnail).

Works!
 :D

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2019, 08:59:54 pm »

TheaterView:  Looks good but the the Arrow Keys don't work as with a "real" file.  I presume this is because it is a stream?

I may not be understanding you correctly, but via theater view, I select a movie and use keyboard to click on 'play trailer' on the roller menu.   Trailer starts streaming in full screen.
Left and right arrow keys are seeking within the trailer video.
Up and down arrow keys bring up a settings menu.
Space bar toggles pause/play.
Esc key backs out of the trailer back to theater view.
Keyboard still works in navigating through the theater view menus.
I'm on 64-bit version 25.0.3

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2019, 09:23:05 pm »

I take it back!  Nav Keys are working as normal.  Don't know what happened before (as it was doing nothing).
JRiver CEO Elect

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2019, 08:15:54 am »

Extremely positive feedback from the girls on this one. They like it, a lot. Happy girls... Happy marko ;)

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2019, 10:23:44 am »

Still a couple of issues/requests for me:

1) I have a movie called "$50K and a Call Girl"
The trailer address is given as: webmedia://YouTube/UJChXXJiKwU

This one continues to play the movie and not the trailer when I try to launch the trailer from Standard View

2) Can we get "Trailer" as a choice when we right click on a movie in Theater View? Currently, you have to go into the movie info, but not having to do so for each one would make it a bit less time consuming when using trailers to decide which movie to watch.

I'm on 25.0.4 as a client, served by the same build on another system. The same thing happens on the server itself.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2019, 04:35:33 am »

Still loving  this feature. It has a small user experience problem though...
At the movie list, you drill into a title and choose the trailer, when the trailer ends, it kicks you back to the file list.
I feel it ought to drop you back where you came from.
Anyone have an opinion about this?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2019, 11:19:06 am »

I agree.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2019, 03:46:56 pm »

Good. That's settled then.  8)

Temeryx

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2019, 09:51:15 pm »

I really like the new ability to play trailers!  The highest quality it streams a trailer though is 720p.  Is it possible to stream them at 1080p?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2019, 06:57:42 am »

I really like the new ability to play trailers!  The highest quality it streams a trailer though is 720p.  Is it possible to stream them at 1080p?

Possible yes, but it'll require some more work, so not quite right now.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jorsan

• World Citizen
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2019, 06:31:55 am »

I have 25 version, but in the top menu in Theater view, when I select  a movie only have: back / watch / select / tag / delete / add to palylist / sop after playing track ... thats all, no "trailer' option, am I doing something worng? .
By the way, can this list be configurable? there are optionsthat I never use and want to delete them
thanks in adnvance

MGD_King

• It's not easy being me, but it sure is fun!
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2019, 07:34:26 am »

How did you get "Avenger Series" on your thumbnails, or this what you're wanting to do?

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2019, 09:01:00 am »

Little Off Topic but could that thumbnail's "Play" command be changed to concern only selected item. It would then also be in line with right click menu "Play" which plays only selected. Currently "thumbnail play" puts everything in group(?) to the playlist which is not so intuitive as every other thumbnail commands only deals with current item.

klay

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2019, 11:20:40 am »

Now when Media Center looks up a movie from TheMovieDB, it puts the trailer for the movie in the "Trailer" field (a new field).

Then in Theater View if you pick the movie, there is an option "Trailer" available from the top roller.  When you view a details list with the column "Trailer" showing, there is a play icon to start the trailer.

Here's a shot of my MC25v14. I don't see "Trailers"...?
Yours truly,
Mr. Klay Anderson, D.A.,Q.B.E.

justsomeguy

« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2019, 03:26:45 pm »

I have 25 version, but in the top menu in Theater view, when I select  a movie only have: back / watch / select / tag / delete / add to palylist / sop after playing track ... thats all, no "trailer' option, am I doing something worng? .
By the way, can this list be configurable? there are optionsthat I never use and want to delete them
thanks in adnvance

You need to run "Get Movie & TV Info" on all your pre-existing movies. New movie imports it will happen automatically.

The "Trailer" option only shows if the trailer tag is populated. I'd prefer that the "Trailer" option in the roller always shows up and if you attempt to play a trailer for a movie that doesn't have that field set it will offer to get it for you at that time all without leaving theater view.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2019, 05:15:51 pm »

I'd prefer that the "Trailer" option in the roller always shows up and if you attempt to play a trailer for a movie that doesn't have that field set it will offer to get it for you at that time all without leaving theater view.

I'd prefer that as well. As long as it only got the trailer URL, and didn't update everything else for the movie. That should mean it was quick, and if multiple trailers were available, you could select the one you want to use.

Actually, I would like to be able to store multiple trailers for each movie, and any time I chose to play a trailer, I should be allowed to select the one I want to play. Most big movies have multiple trailers these days.

InsaneRC

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2019, 08:48:59 pm »

I'd prefer that the "Trailer" option in the roller always shows up and if you attempt to play a trailer for a movie that doesn't have that field set it will offer to get it for you at that time all without leaving theater view.

Was thinking the same thing
Licensed User:
JRiver Media Center 12-->27

jorsan

• World Citizen
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2019, 04:46:09 am »

Thanks justsomeguy, problem solved.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2019, 01:51:27 pm »

I just want to say that I really like this new feature!
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2019, 07:55:48 pm »

I'd prefer that as well. As long as it only got the trailer URL, and didn't update everything else for the movie. That should mean it was quick, and if multiple trailers were available, you could select the one you want to use.

Actually, I would like to be able to store multiple trailers for each movie, and any time I chose to play a trailer, I should be allowed to select the one I want to play. Most big movies have multiple trailers these days.

I like the idea of having access to multiple trailers, however I do not know if our data source provides such information. I'm inclined to think not right now.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2019, 09:39:38 pm »

I like the idea of having access to multiple trailers, however I do not know if our data source provides such information. I'm inclined to think not right now.

Probably true, but if [Trailer] was a list field, and I could add trailer URLs for videos I find on YouTube (maybe elsewhere?), and if MC recognised the list of URLs and presented them for me to select from, but also allowed me to delete a URL (okay, I could do that manually as well), and if the "Get Movie & TV Info" function didn't clobber the URLs I added, but perhaps just added a URL... then we could have multiple Trailers now!  ;D

Of course you might need some way to identify the different trailers, such as a name, First, Major, Cinematic, whatever.

Having all the Deadpool trailers on MC would be cool.

moobox

• Recent member
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2019, 01:54:25 pm »

Okay I'm trying this cool option.

I put
Code: [Select]
webmedia://YouTube/UsjdRsrR6cs
in Trailer tag.

It works in theater view, but it's a bit slow, taking 25 seconds to start. A bit too long, is'nt it ?

My main suggestion is : In theater view, when you select a movie, the picture on the right will be replace by the trailer (if exist). 

saltanar

• Recent member
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2019, 01:45:09 am »

I have only english trailers, can we have different language trailer ? Like the same language settings on JRiver? Italian, French.. I think that JRiver needs to search on Youtube for this as Kodi

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2019, 10:07:07 am »

I'm not bumping into many of these, and I'm not sure if anything can be done about it or not... but...

The movie, Fracture, from 2007, returns with the following trailer...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAar1EYxloQ

"Sign in to confirm your age" from YouTube, MC comes back with "There is nothing to play"

Now, play a different trailer, then go back and try Fracture again...

Now, instead of reporting "there is nothing to play" it kicks right off with the previous trailer, leaving the viewers all looking at each other, scratching their heads wondering what they did wrong.

-marko

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2019, 11:40:42 am »

I'm not bumping into many of these, and I'm not sure if anything can be done about it or not... but...

The movie, Fracture, from 2007, returns with the following trailer...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAar1EYxloQ

"Sign in to confirm your age" from YouTube, MC comes back with "There is nothing to play"

Now, play a different trailer, then go back and try Fracture again...

Now, instead of reporting "there is nothing to play" it kicks right off with the previous trailer, leaving the viewers all looking at each other, scratching their heads wondering what they did wrong.

-marko

I set a movie to the name Fracture, did a lookup, and it came back with the same trailer as your post.

But it played just fine, so I'm not sure.

audunth

« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2019, 11:43:00 am »

I'm experiencing this with several movies, either "Nothing to play" or it plays the previously played file (if one exists in Playing Now). Even if the link in the Trailer field works in a browser, playing the correct trailer.
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
ASUS  P8Z68 V-PRO/GEN3, 8GB RAM, Core i5-2500K
EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 SSC, 4GB RAM
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Sony VPL-HW30ES 3D projector
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers
Klipsch Reference/SVS 7.1 speaker system
Always running the latest available version of MC

thezone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2019, 07:00:29 am »

Awesome feature but I really would like to watch the trailers in 4k, they are available on you tube?

thezone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2019, 05:49:32 am »

Question:

When you delete a movie permanent in theatre view does it also delete the artwork, trailer etc?

23Anonymous

• Recent member
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2019, 04:50:17 pm »

Been thinking about this for awhile.....Can you create a media sub type "preview" that would allow you to point at preview files in "disc" folders? allowing you to have previews locally? Maybe an option to pull one, to whatever number, previews at start of "show", throw in a cartoon (from local file) or two ……. retro theater experience?

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2019, 12:28:44 pm »

can [Trailer] field point to file on NAS?

while ripping i do rip trailers with main title (if its available) in hopes that someday MC will able to integrate them into Theatre View ... is it possible now?
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

dwalme

• Recent member
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2019, 05:09:02 pm »

Trailers no longer play for me.   When I select play trailer the movie starts playing.

What's the best way to start troubleshooting this?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up