INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: feature request  (Read 2237 times)

zevele10

feature request
« on: May 26, 2003, 05:41:25 am »

In the left window/tree,anyway to have the alphabet somewhere when you have the Artist/album view ?
The use of it:
If you want to check againts Emusic or other services ,or cds you got from a friend to see if you have it.
Instead of going up and down ,you just click on one of the letter and the tree shows you the artists with the name starting with this letter.
Or group of letters
A-D     E-G ect ect if  a B C D ...takes to much room

Deivit

• Citizen of the Universe
  • I find your interest interesting...
Re: feature request
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2003, 06:10:01 am »

Hi Zev,

This is already implemented... just edit your view scheme, select the "Artist" or "Album" and specify that you want to "group" the information (I'm not at home now and do not recall the exact name of the thing, but it's there). You can set the grouping to 1 (alphabet) to 2 (A-B, C-D), to 3 (A-C, D-F), etc.

zevele10

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2003, 06:43:49 am »

Gratias !!
I found it ,and it is quite usefull

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2003, 08:24:54 am »

Hi Zev,
Try editing the "view scheme" by right clicking.  You can edit each section and add grouping by letter.

zevele10

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2003, 08:30:40 am »

I found it and i love such small things making life much easy
I'am lost with MC ,but slowly i get it.

I got in less than 3 months around +30.000 songs that i am learning to manage.

But so much so fast is quite a task...

gkerber

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2003, 09:34:45 am »

There is always another good idea - already implemented in the program.....

Now, is there a way to get this view scheme to auto expand to the artist level?  Showing A and the A artists, then B and the B artists....

Artist (w/grouping) -> Album

Deivit

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2003, 10:20:32 am »

Not sure if I understood you correctly. If not, just disregard my post.

In the view scheme, I have the "Artist" field twice... the first one grouped "level 3" (i.e. A-C, D-F, G-I) and the second one grouped "level 1" (i.e., A,B,C). After both "Artist" field I have the "Album" field.Therefore, my tree looks like this:

- All Artists
- 0-9
  - A-C
        - A
            - A-Ha
                  - Headlines and Deadlines
                  - How Can I Sleep with Your Voice...
                  - Stay on These Roads
            - A Flock of Seagulls
            - A Man Called Adam
            - Avril Lavigne
            - Azymuth
        - B
            - B.B. King
            - Babel Fish
            - Butch Baldasari
        - C
  - D-F
        - D
            - Dakota Moon
            - Dakota Station
            - Dwight Yoakam

-----
Listening to: 'Paradiso' from 'Orange And Blue' by 'Al Di Meola' on Media Center 9.0  

gkerber

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2003, 10:39:02 am »

I'd like it as:

A
  Allman Brothers
  Allision, Luther
B
  Beatles
  Beck, Jeff
  Benoit, Tab

In other words, to have a default view scheme, with the ability to auto-expand to a default level as shown.  So when I enter the program, to automatically have this view scheme auto expand as shown (but not expand past the artist to the album level).

Question (out of curiousity), - you really store artist names as you show them, first-name, last-name, instead of last-name, first-name as I've shown mine?  

zevele10

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2003, 11:43:19 am »

I'am not Deivit , but yes i have first name -last name.
One of the raisons is that it is the way MusicMatch SuperTags gives the resuts.
But i remove 'The' in bands names

Deivit

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2003, 11:46:24 am »

The auto-expand to a default level view would be a very nice feature. I agree with you.

Question (out of curiousity), - you really store artist names as you show them, first-name, last-name, instead of last-name, first-name as I've shown mine?  

Yes... I have all my artists stored as "first-last" name instead of "last, first" as you do. Further more... all my artists are stored the way that their names appear on the albums... for instance "The Beatles" and "The Rolling Stones" are under letter "T"  ;D.... I don't mean that this is the right way to do it, but works for me.

This way I don't have to think whether "Rilo Kiley", "Diamond Rio" or "Dakota Moon" are groups or soloists... or discovering that I have some albums under "The Wallflowers" and others under "Wallflowers". Any way, this is something that works for me but I understand that may seem weird for others  :)

I have now over 3.000 artists with more than 40.000 tracks... and growing each day, so, at least, sorting is something I have not to worry about  ;)

----
Listening to: 'Sussudio' from 'The Phil Collins Big Band "A Hot Night in Paris"' by 'The Phil Collins Big Band' on Media Center 9.0

gkerber

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2003, 12:22:42 pm »

There is no right or wrong for music tagging and sorting, to each his own....

Maybe it's the programmer in me, that makes me store the tags in sortable fashion.  I think in terms of last-name, first-name, I'd never find anything in first-name, last-name order.

I always remove the "The" from "The Rolling Stones" for sorting reasons, but I already asked for a feature in MC where any leading strings (user definable) are ignored for sorting purposes.

At the office, I can't figure why people ever use a date as mm/dd/yy when YYYYMMDD is always sortable....

Deivit

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2003, 12:43:45 pm »

In fact, my albums are also perfectly sorted...  all my "Bruce Springsteen" albums appear nicely right after my "Bruce Hornsby and the Range" albums so... not that bad  :D

But... as you say, there's no right or wrong way... if it works for you... that is the right way  

By the way... in Continental Europe we use dates as dd/mm/yyyy but Windows is smart enough to sort them that way  ;)

-----
Listening to: 'Fun Fun Fun' from 'Greatest Hits Live' by 'The Beach Boys' on Media Center 9.0 (sorted under "The" Beach Boys... right before "The" Beatles  ... For once we probably have them sorted the same ;D )

gkerber

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2003, 02:20:17 pm »

Dates can be handled in any format, if it's a program doing the sorting and it's smart enough.  For a simple ascii sort, only YYYYMMDD will work right.  Most programs convert the date into some numeric value and then sort numerically.  UNIX converts date/times to the number of seconds since 1/1/1970 (which will become too large for a long int in 2038).

As far as geographic date format is concerned, the Japanese "standard" is best to me, YYYY/MM/DD and the European is next best as DD/MM/YYYY.  The American way of MM/DD/YYYY is out of sequence.
Pages: [1]   Go Up