INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio CD won't play in PC  (Read 1204 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Audio CD won't play in PC
« on: May 20, 2003, 02:29:22 pm »

Someone has reported a problem that has us stumped, so I wonder if anyone else has an idea.

On XP, with 9.0.174, He puts an audio CD in the drive and clicks on the drive letter in the tree.  Nothing happens.

The same CD can be played by Windows Media Player.

The same drive also plays a data CD of MP3 files.

He has another drive, a DVD drive, that also will not play the audio CD in MC.

He tried a second audio CD.

At one point, even Windows Explorer would not read the audio CD.

My guess is that there is another piece of software that is not behaving.  In the past, we have had similar problems with DirectCD (part of Roxio's EZCD) and with INCD (part of Nero).

Any other guesses?

Thanks.

graham131

• Galactic Citizen
  • Yadb (get it?) dabba do.....
Re: Audio CD won't play in PC
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2003, 02:37:33 pm »

Hi Jim,   No solution I am afraid just some sympathy.

Approx 18 months ago, i was using Real Jukebox (sorry) , i did an update (Pc was also running Roxio - or Adaptec as it was then CD Creator Platinum) and Audio CD's would not not play using Real. (They would play in windows media, and CD player)

Tried everything.......to no avail.

searched the web for answers.......found MJ8 (in beta at the time)

Deleted Real - installed MJ and have NEVER looked back.

Thankyou.

Anyway my suggestion to your user would be to try to uninstall all other media apps, clean the registry using something such as AShampoo, then re-install MC and try again.

Regards

Graham

Marko

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2003, 10:37:49 pm »

Is it possible that conflicting autoplay instructions would cause this?

I'm thinking along the lines of windowsXP's autorun popup dialogue having been set to "always play in windows media player" or "always do nothing" or something similar, while MC is also instructed to "aways play audio cd's" from it's internal options.

How would conflicting settings such as those be prioritised? Presumably, windows detects the disc first, and it has instructions to launch media media player and play the CD, but then, MC would spot the disc and try to play it too.

Who wins?

phelt

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2003, 10:39:27 pm »

I've had this same problem intermittently. I don't access CD's through MC frequently, but when I do I get no response - not a crash, not an error, just nothing. If I've accessed the CD/drive through MC first, I will only receive errors from Windows Explorer if I try to access the drive (drive J: is not ready, or some such).

What fixes it: Opening Administrative Tools > Logical Drives. It recognizes that there's an audio disc in the drive and makes everything OK for Explorer and MC to browse and play back.

Sorry that I don't have a more sophisticated or elegant approach - this is the only thing that's worked for me so far.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2003, 04:39:38 am »

Thanks, everyone.  

Phelt, do you use any other burning software, like Nero or Roxio EZCD?  Could the problem occur only after it has been used or installed?

JohnT

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2003, 05:53:21 am »

I've had this same problem intermittently. I don't access CD's through MC frequently, but when I do I get no response - not a crash, not an error, just nothing. If I've accessed the CD/drive through MC first, I will only receive errors from Windows Explorer if I try to access the drive (drive J: is not ready, or some such).

What fixes it: Opening Administrative Tools > Logical Drives. It recognizes that there's an audio disc in the drive and makes everything OK for Explorer and MC to browse and play back.

Sorry that I don't have a more sophisticated or elegant approach - this is the only thing that's worked for me so far.
Do you have time to try troubleshooting the problem? If so, please email me and we can hopefully find the root cause.

Thanks,
johnt @ jriver.com

John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

tbone66

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2003, 06:26:13 am »

Just wanted to add that I'm still experiencing a similar problem, but don't have INCD or DirectCD (or any other packet writer) installed.'

MC9 (.175) will consistently pull the YADB info for any disc inserted (CDRW or DVD drive), but will only cycle through the tracks displaying a "buffering" status without actually starting to play a track.

Again, digital audio playback is enable under the Device Manager and within MC9.  Tracks will play when DA is turned off within MC9, but then they cannot be stopped.

WMP and RP are playing CD's without error.

T

phelt

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2003, 12:29:16 pm »

JimH -
I do have InCD version 3.5.24.0 and Nero, whatever the latest version is. But I've installed multiple MC builds and rebooted many times since the last installation of Nero or InCD. I had not burned a disc in days (possibly weeks) prior to trying to access the CD.

JohnT -
I'll be happy to help out more if I can. You'll have email in a few minutes.

Pages: [1]   Go Up