INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lifetime upgrades?  (Read 3131 times)

mrlbro616

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Lifetime upgrades?
« on: May 17, 2003, 11:33:52 am »

Ok...I bought MJ7 a while ago.....then I updated to MJ*....now according to everything I am reading I have to buy MC9....however when I originally purchased it I was told that I had lifetime upgrades?? Am I doing something wrong?

Mrlbro616@msn.com

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: upgrading MJ
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2003, 11:36:51 am »

We've never sold or advertised lifetime upgrades.  Maybe you're thinking of another program.

Details on the license are here:

www.mediajukebox.com/license

If you have a V7 license, there is no special upgrade price.

If you have a V8 license, it may be free.

mrlbro616

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Help me please
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2003, 11:49:17 am »

I have an MJ7 rrg liscence and it went into MJ8 fine....but now it's asking me for an mjr liscence or to restore it from the internet. Maybe I was thinking of a different program for the lifetime upgrades.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
Re: Help me please
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2003, 03:59:44 pm »

Maybe I was thinking of a different program for the lifetime upgrades.

Music Match
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

LisaRCT

Re: Lifetime upgrades?
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2003, 08:46:24 pm »

music-match . . .
yup
you bought into that too    :(

maybe we can sell em off cheap   ;D

mrlbro616

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2003, 07:52:43 am »

Yah It probably was Musicmatch....I do have that one also...So what now?....Do I have to pay for MC9...if not how do I upgrade?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2003, 08:51:16 am »

>> Do I have to pay for MC9
thats up to you i feel it is worth it.

there is no upgrade path from a MJ7 license to MJ9
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Mash

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2003, 12:44:25 pm »

I decided to use MJ8 as long as it does the job. Then I will switch to a different product.

It's just 1.5 years ago when I bought MJ7 and with that license fee I supported the further development of the product. Now I'm treated as if I was a new customer - a very unfortunate strategy.
I hope that many customers won't support that and will switch to another vendor.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2003, 01:14:02 pm »

Sorry you feel that way.

If I am not mistaken MJ7 user got a free upgrade to MJ8.

you can't satisfy everyone

=======================================

If you upgrade to MC9 you can use Chart, Lyrics, Cover Art And Artist Bios Finder Plug-In For Free.

I think it is worth it
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Bartabedian

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2003, 01:30:49 pm »

=======================================

If you upgrade to MC9 you can use Chart, Lyrics, Cover Art And Artist Bios Finder Plug-In For Free.

I think it is worth it

Good point!  ;D

mrlbro616

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2003, 05:19:36 pm »

I decided to use MJ8 as long as it does the job. Then I will switch to a different product.

It's just 1.5 years ago when I bought MJ7 and with that license fee I supported the further development of the product. Now I'm treated as if I was a new customer - a very unfortunate strategy.
I hope that many customers won't support that and will switch to another vendor.

I agree there.....I paid what...close to 30 bucks the first time and now a year and a half later I need to pay another 30- 40 bucks? And what happens when 6 months from now version 10 comes out? I think not...yeah maybe free upgrades is a bad idea....but you know what it got me to buy Musicmatch and you know what...now I'm gonna stick with them because I only have to buy it once....not every 10 months that someone decides to change the skin a little bit and add one or two features......thanks but no thanks.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2003, 05:22:36 pm »

Ok, Take Care

Closing This Thread
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2003, 05:27:27 pm »

No, wait.

How much do you spend on hamburgers and french fries every 10 months.  How much pleasure did you get from that compared to what MJ gave you?

Sorry if you're a vegetarian.

Our guys have been working very hard the whole 10 months and they need to eat.

Me, I'm a vegetarian.

mrlbro616

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2003, 06:06:34 pm »

first of all, closing the thread?....why it gets a little hot in the kitchen and somebody posts their opinion so you have to shut it down?...I understand that people have to eat and all but why couldn't an "upgrade" cost maybe 10 bucks everytime you wanted to upgrade....Instead of charging the full price to the same people who paid the full price a year or a year and half ago....I mean let's face it business is business, but greed is something else entirely...That's just my opinion...and if you want to close down the thread just because I want to voice my opinion, then that's your decision to make, after all you guys run the site, but I think that customer satisfaction is a part of every business and ignoring it won't make it go away.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2003, 06:08:54 pm »

It is business.  It isn't greed.

I'm sorry you think so.

We want customers to be satisfied, but it isn't always possible.

misheast

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2003, 08:11:21 pm »

I've seen this complaint leveled against so many companies, and it's always struck me as a dumb complaint.

When you bought MJ7, you bought exactly that: MJ7. You did not also buy MJ8, 9, 10, etc.. If anything, be thankful you get a free liscence to MJ8.

By releasing a newer version of the program, JRiver is not making you stop using the older version. If the older version worked for you in the past, it will continue working for you in the future. I always hear this same complaint leveled against Microsoft for their steep prices on the newer versions of Office - don't worry, just keep using the older version that worked so well for you. Office '97 will still do everything it did when it was released in '97. MJ7 or 8 will still work just as well as it worked when released a year and a half ago. Nobody is forcing you to give them more money.

However, a slightly reduced upgrade price wouldn't hurt either. Following my Office example, you can get the upgrade for a little less..

sraymond

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2003, 08:33:05 pm »

misheast,

Well said!  When next year's Mustang comes out, am I entitled to a discount because I bought the 1970 version?  Or if I bought the 2003 version?  I think not.  My 1970 continues to work as designed (with lots of maintenance!)

My only complaint is when software manufacturers use "tricks" to force upgrades.  Like, for instance, the fact that to get video with XP's Messenger, you need to be dealing with another XP Messenger client.  This single "feature" has forced at least three upgrades that I personally know of.

Scott-

AZ_JazzyJ

• Recent member
  • Is there anything cooler than baseball?
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2003, 09:26:34 pm »

When next year's Mustang comes out, am I entitled to a discount because I bought the 1970 version?  

Personally I believe that Media Center 9 is worth the price they are asking given the feature sets.  

But as to the point that Scott made with his analogy to automobiles, most of the major manufacturers are now instituting loyalty rebates where they give between $1,000 and $2,000 off the purchase price of a new car if you currently own the same brand.  They have come to the realization that customer loyalty comes with a price.  In today's economy there is only so much disposable income that a person has to spend.  If they can offer a discount (even if it is only minor) to an existing customer, it is better to receive a smaller profit margin rather than completely lose a sale.

Pricing intellectual property is always a difficult proposition.  On one hand there is a tremendous amount of research and development that goes into a software program.  On the other hand, the R&D costs associated with the current version are for the most part sunk costs.  I understand that there are business expenses and customer service costs associated with maintaining the product.  There is always a fine line between covering costs while making a resonable profit and being perceived as taking advantage of the customer (I am not suggesting that this is the case, just observing the comments that are being presented in this thread).

I do not envy Jim in trying to manage everyone's expectations while trying to make a well deserved profit from this fine program.

Jeff

mrlbro616

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2003, 11:09:45 am »

I never said it was a bad program.....if it was a bad program I wouldn't be trying to figure out how to upgrade it. It's a great program and the price really isn't that bad, however I don't feel that it is worth paying full retail value for it twice in a year to a year and a half. As was mentioned earlier in the thread there are alot of people who bought the original program and made it possible to pay those employees who developed more recent versions. I believe that some loyalty to those people who have been around for a year or a year and a half, would probably go along way towards customer satisfaction.

No, Jim, you can't please all of the customers all of the time, you're right, however, trying to sure wouldn't hurt.

Yes, lower cost upgrades, for people who have already been supporting the company, wouldn't hurt. Would I pay a 10 or 15 Upgrade fee everytime that a new version came out? Probably. But would I pay $30 or $40 everytime, I don't think so. And personally I don't think I am alone in this theory. Think about it, If you came out with say a different upgrade for $30 every year, and kept a good amount of previous customers by charging $10 or $15, and at the same time kept those customers happy (which would go a long way towards word of mouth advertising). Isn't that better than charging the $30 to everyone and losing the people who bought it the first time and the potential customers that they refer also? Yeah, new features are great and all, but how much are you really going to pay for a program that you are just going to throw away and buy again in a year. At what point does it get too expensive? After you pay $90- $100 for a program to manage your music? Well according to current trends that's only going to be one more version away. Like I said, It's not a bad program, it's worth the $30 or $40 that you're charging, heck, it's even worth a 10-15 buck upgrade every year or so, but when I start looking at paying full retail upgrades every year or so, it tends to scare me away. Again, that's just my opinion, however, I have a feeling I am not alone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up