INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Client locks up server (or so it seems)  (Read 719 times)

jkolker

• Junior Woodchuck
Client locks up server (or so it seems)
« on: May 08, 2019, 07:03:13 am »

Hello!

I am using a PC as a JRiver server.  It hosts the library and it has been given a "code" for remote access.  I access the library (web, network) and for the most part, no problems.

However, I recently switched to a new PC (not the server - a pc accessing the server).  Installed JRiver 25, and added the remote library to my list using the appropriate code.  After doing this, on occasion trying to play a song from the library on my new PC causes JRiver to lock up on the server.  After rebooting each PC, and a little playing around, it starts to work again.  Until it happens again.  I'm not sure if I can recognize a pattern as to when/why it happens.  File access/permissions seem to be OK.  Network is operational. 

So, I've attached 2 logs to this post.  The 6-33-10 log is the remote PC.  The 6-36-19 log is the server.  Each log was created after the latest "incident".   Both machines are on the same network.

Thanks...if more info is needed, please let me know. 

Jeff

ps.  using Win10 with latest updates on both machines

jkolker

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Client locks up server (or so it seems)
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 07:46:02 am »

bump

Anyone look at this or have an idea?

swiv3d

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 04:14:39 pm »

Not a clue personally but I will bump in the hope that RoderickGI sees it when Ozzie time zones permit - he is the man!

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 07:56:45 pm »

I still find reading log files mostly guesswork, and quite time consuming, so I took a pass on this one when I saw it. Eh, no-one pays me to answer questions here.

I looked at you logs though and it appears that you have a network issue. Probably one or both firewalls on your PCs aren't allowing something through. Or maybe some other security software is interfering. Check that your firewalls on both PCs are allowing all MC main exe's, JRWeb.exe, JRWorker.exe, and "Media Center 25.exe".

If the firewalls are okay, then you have an intermittent network issue. Those can be very difficult to tie down.
Are these PCs connected via Ethernet or Wi-Fi? I see the Server has both an Ethernet and a Wi-Fi network connection, but the Client only has Ethernet. But I can't tell which connections are being used.
Have you run Windows Update on your new PC to get the latest network drivers?
Latest/best motherboard drivers? I see you have an Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K based PC running as the Client, so you must have a recent motherboard. Sometimes recent network drivers can be a bit flaky. You have a more recent "Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller" driver than I have. But usually Realtek network drivers are okay.

I also noted that you have run the BuyButton function lots of times, but it seems to fail. I guess you haven't purchased a MC25 licence yet, and something is going wrong?

But as I say, I am using some guesswork here.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

jkolker

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 09:01:08 pm »

Thanks for the replies

I have a license for 25.  Not sure what that buy button is.  I haven't seen or pressed one.  I have installed, uninstalled, and reinstalled a few times.  Maybe that was it?

I use ethernet.  Most everything is wired.  I've checked the firewall/anti-virus stuff.  Ran all the updates.  Always do that before I ask for help, just to make sure. 

Feel like the problem is on the server, but just don't know. 

So far, no luck.

Thanks,
Jeff

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 11:21:16 pm »

The BuyButton is associated with purchases of MC, but you could be right. It may also get invoked when you reinstall and/or apply the licence again.

I used to be able to lock up the Server pretty easily when I was doing a lot of testing and mucking around on the Client. Doing stuff like View modifications on the Client (which don't get synced to the Server), changing Libraries often, generally testing bits of functionality. But I haven't locked up the Server for some time now. Maybe coincidence, maybe not. So if you have been doing lots of testing, rather than just playing audio, that could be a cause. MC, or the Client/Server part of it, seems to sometimes get a bit out of whack, leaving the Server in a hung situation. I have even completely crashed the Server with some of the stuff I do. But I can't define what exactly caused it, because it could have been lots of things.

Aside from that, your logs still looked like a network issue.

---------------
Try this. On one of the PCs open a Command Window in Windows. The run the ping command continuously against the other PC for some time. You shouldn't see any dropped packets. The ping command to use would be;

ping -t <the other PC IP Address>

Help for ping using command. Note the use of Ctrl+Break and Ctrl+C;

ping /?

I get less than 1ms response time on my wired network, as should you.

If you don't get any lost packets in five minutes, reverse the process so you ping from the other PC back to the first you tried on.
--------------------

There is a lot of DLNA broadcast activity on your Server, which is normal. But if you don't connect to the Server using DLNA, or push media to a DLNA Renderer, you could turn off the DLNA functions in Media Network. Of course leave Media Network running, and continue to use the Access Key method to connect.
------------------------

I can't see in any of the logs that you are actually playing, or starting to play, any file. What is the full path to the audio files you were playing when the Server crashed? Just the base path if you don't know the file being played. I'm not sure the logs actually caught the crash. There is no Crash Dump in the zip, which there usually would be for the Server. The network errors I'm seeing are just URL, HTTP, and Socket errors, not file errors.

Well, there are a bunch of Sharing Plugins Read failures. If you have additional, non-default plugins installed on the Server, perhaps remove them and see if the problem goes away.
--------------------

Other than that, perhaps capture a new set of logs when it happens next time, and note the full path and filename that the Client was trying to play. It should be visible on the Client, since it hasn't crashed.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

jkolker

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2019, 04:13:53 am »

Hello again!  Thanks for your reply!

Pings work fine.  Woke up, went to the client, loaded JRiver, tried to play a song, JRiver on the server died.  The file I tried to play is: \\TS3410D1F6\Music3\MyMusic3\HDTracks\The Beach Boys\Pet Sounds (Mono & Stereo)\07-Sloop John B (Mono).flac.  It will crash regardless of which file is tried.

Attachment 03-21-26 is the client log

I don't have any third party plugins installed.  I only have installed whatever comes with the JRiver installer.  Nothing additional, either on the server or client. 

I do use DNLA

Attachment 03-38-23 (server) is right after a crash.  Not sure the log captures anything because MC is unresponsive and must be forced closed and the log can only be created after reloading the program.

Attachment 03-47-50 (server) is right after it played a song correctly

The problem seems to arise after the server has been sitting unused for a while.  I've check the settings on the server, and nothing appears to go to sleep after a period of time. 

Interesting note.  I went to the server, closed MC itself, but the server (icon in system tray) was still running.  Went to the client and playing the above-mentioned file actually worked.   So it worked after the program crashed and was closed without a reboot. Once the file is able to be played from the client, I can then load MC back and it will still play correctly. 

The server is also attached to the living room TV/AV receiver and is used to play music and movies in the living room.  I leave MC running (in Theater view mode) on the PC all the time, so we can just turn it on and it's right there to play what we want.  Maybe this isn't a good idea?  Thought it has worked well (until recently) for the last few years.

Once the server pc is working like it should, I don't have any problem until it goes unused for a period of time (hours?).  This recent incident the server went unused for about 4 or 5 hours.  I'm beginning to believe the problem lies on the server PC.

Summary so far:  The server dies if the client attempts a play after the server sits for a period of time unused. 

Curious.  Can I have MC24 run as a server and have it be accessed by MC25 clients? 

Thanks for your help!
Jeff

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2019, 04:15:53 am »

If MC is unresponsive,  that's a freeze,  not a crash.  Something may be preventing MC from reading the file.

What happens if you play the same file on the server?

If you have MC on both sides, just load the library of the server without using DLNA.

jkolker

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2019, 08:09:52 am »

Acutally, I get the non-stop cursor and then when i click on MC, it gives me the message that MC is not responding.  That's a "freeze"?

Sorry for the incorrect term. 

I tried first from the server this morning.  No problem.  Then No problem with the client.

I'll see what happens...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2019, 08:25:37 am »

Acutally, I get the non-stop cursor and then when i click on MC, it gives me the message that MC is not responding.  That's a "freeze"?
Yes.  The OS can't get a response from MC, but MC may be running.
Pages: [1]   Go Up