INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW: Comic support with thumbnailing  (Read 2763 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
NEW: Comic support with thumbnailing
« on: February 18, 2020, 01:29:25 pm »

Media Center 26.0.24 and newer will support CBR and CBZ comics and nicely show a thumbnail for the files.

They're data files, so it will use whatever program you have associated when you play the file.  There are several free readers available.

Instructions
In the import dialog, check the comic checkbox under Data so Media Center will import CBR and CBZ files.  Next import a folder that has these files.  Then you can view, organize, and play your comics.

Enjoy :)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

darichman

• MC Beta Team
Re: NEW: Comic support with thumbnailing
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 04:39:13 am »

Matt this is great!

I've had .cbr files imported for a long time and always wished they looked nice :)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 12:11:42 pm »

Please share what other software you use for reading comics.

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 03:02:48 am »

Hi Jim - nothing fancy, just CDisplay https://www.cdisplayex.com/

And not for library management, only for opening the files in explorer. At times I have had them indexed in MC as documents - it still works as MC will just use the default windows software to play them.

I also have some in Google Books now.

RD James

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 08:34:44 am »

I recommend QuickViewer: https://kanryu.github.io/quickviewer/
Not only for comics/manga, but as a general image viewer too. Nothing else can speed through a folder of images like it does.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 10:27:36 pm »

Thanks for continued work on comics.

For Windows I use Comics++ AKA ComicsPlusPlus. It's in the windows store and is a perfect example of a great app. It is dead simple to use and opens huge files without issue. YAC reader is another fine choice.
On Android I use CDisplay EX. While the app is nice you have to be careful with their desktop version as it bundles junk software with it, and it's never updated.

For those looking for affordable DRM free comics, look at humble bundle from time to time. Image Comics typically has a giant pile on there for around 15 dollars a couple times a year.

pablo_hp

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2020, 09:41:49 am »

it would be interesting if it had a side menu, for books.

We have for Audio, Image, Video.

Now a book menu is missing. E-books.

I always wanted to organize my books within JRiver.

And if, in the future, it is possible to read the books within the application itself, it will be even better.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2020, 09:51:31 am »

There is a Documents media type in MC.

ralphberner

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2020, 02:00:09 am »

I use a Microsoft Surface Book Pro 2 15" to read comics.
My experiences were:

Rejected Readers:
- CDisplay: The pages look terrible on such high resolution screens (i tried all different settings).
- Comic Rack  isn't well prepared for touch screens for me(small menues etc.). But it is very good reader independent of that. It offers plenty of settings if you need that.

My solution:
Honeyview is my best solution in the end.
The rendering is as good as in Comic Rack, it is fast and offers all necessary options i find helpful. In the top left corner you can tap to check the number of pages in the EXIF Infos.

Additional tools i recommend:
GestureSign: It is very helpful to record needed touch gestures (for switching pages back and forth, switch to fullscreen or close Honeyview for example).

CBX Shell: It shows Thumbnails for CBR and CBX in the Explorer Windows.

With those, i am perfectly happy.
I hope i could help, because it took me some experimenting until i got my environment perfect.

alb

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2020, 05:36:16 pm »

IMO, if you have a lot of comics and you like to be organized you've got to use Comic Rack (Windows).  It's awesome for managing a comics library and the comic viewer is pretty sweet too.  There are two plugins that are very highly recommended by longtime users of Comic Rack.  ComicVine Scraper and Library Organizer.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2020, 10:09:57 pm »

IMO, if you have a lot of comics and you like to be organized you've got to use Comic Rack (Windows).  It's awesome for managing a comics library and the comic viewer is pretty sweet too.  There are two plugins that are very highly recommended by longtime users of Comic Rack.  ComicVine Scraper and Library Organizer.

I've often thought of ComicRack as the Media Center of digital comics. Too bad development on it has ceased and the website is down. I still have it but I'm not sure if registering it will work anymore with the site down. MC could easily replace the Library Organizer plugin as long as you want to take the time to create all the library fields you'd need, all we need now is an MC plugin to pull data from ComicVine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up