INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lindemann Limetree Network and DSD  (Read 979 times)

Wybe

• World Citizen
Lindemann Limetree Network and DSD
« on: March 13, 2020, 05:16:24 am »

A friend brought me his Lindemann Limetree Network, because DSD files did not play. All PCM files played fine. I installed a Linux Debian computer with MC23. At first I checked the box “Bitstream DSD (requires DoPE compliant renderer)”. I was under the assumption that MC does not output native DSD via UPnP/DLNA. The result was: no sound. To make a long story short: I did again a clean install of MC23 and made no changes whatsoever in the configuration. The Limetree showed up in the JRiver application and DSD files played fine via the network. The led on the Limetree Network and also the Lindemann app showed that I was playing DSD files (and that they were not converted to PCM). So, does JRiver output native DSD via UPnP/DLNA? What’s the exact story behind JRiver and DSD via the network? According to the JRiverWiki you have to check the box “Bitstream DSD” and you need a DoPE compliant renderer.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Lindemann Limetree Network and DSD
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2020, 06:05:23 am »

MC can convert DSD to PCM.

Wybe

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2020, 06:41:41 am »

Yes, I know, but you have to configure that and I didn't configure anything. Also, why does the led on the Limetree indicate that the incoming signal is DSD?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2020, 08:06:48 am »

Compare your settings, including the DLNA Server under Media Network settings.

thecrow

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2020, 08:10:01 am »

There seems to be a lot of confusion on how MC handles DSD over DLNA.
Like yourself I found that it works with native DSD if you do NOT tick the box "Bitstream DSD".
I assume this box actually streams DSD as DoPE, a way of "hiding" the DSD signal in a PCM stream, but you need a receiver that understands DoPE and how to unpack it back into DSD for this to work.
I assume leaving this box un-ticked means that DSD is being streamed as a native DSD stream (not DoPE) which works on devices that know how to handle it.
Personally I have four devices in my home that support native DSD over DLNA and non that support DoPE so always stream without the "Bitstream DSD" box ticked.
I just think it is a little confusing how that box is labeled and what happens when it is not ticked.

Wybe

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 08:47:49 am »

@JimH: I did not configure any DSP settings or other settings. I left the media network settings unchanged, so only box "DLNA" and "DLNAextra" are checked.

@thecrow: I'm very happy with your response. I had an PS Audio DirectStream DAC with Bridge II and this streamer only supported  DoPE. If JRiver does output native DSD via DLNA, shouldn't the JRiverWiki be updated? At least it should be more clear that native DSD via DLNA is supported. So, I can assume there is nothing wrong with my way of thinking?
Pages: [1]   Go Up