INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting Dolby and DTS to my Denon x4000  (Read 1132 times)

juddcbrown

• Recent member
Getting Dolby and DTS to my Denon x4000
« on: March 18, 2020, 05:16:34 pm »

Greetings.

I am a seat of the pants user hoping to finally do this right.

I'm running MC26. It is working great for my music, but I got an OLED65LG and want to stream some digital movies from MC to it.

The OLED65C9PUA shows up in Playing Now. I select it, then drag the movie onto the bottom of the tabbed screen. I hit play, and the movie starts to play. It won't deliver surround sound of any sort though - only a stereo signal that doesn't cut it for 4K film watching.

Can someone please point me to the setting that will send the sound untouched into the Denon for surround processing?

Many thanks!

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Getting Dolby and DTS to my Denon x4000
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 05:49:25 pm »

Take an HDMI cable from the MC PC to an input on the Denon, and then another HDMI from the output of the Denon to the TV.
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

wer

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2020, 07:17:26 pm »

As Andrew says, you should be using the TV on the monitor output of the Denon.  You should not attempt to pass signals through the TV to the Denon, nor should you try to "stream" directly to the TV over the network as you've been trying.

The reason for this is that the TV does not support many of the audio formats your Denon does, and will mangle or block them.  Likewise many video formats need to be converted into something digestible by the LG.

Best practice is to route everything directly to the Denon, and it will then pass the video through to the TV while outputting the sound itself.

If you cannot run HDMI from the PC to the Denon (perhaps it's in another room or something) then if you have to fall back to using the network you will have to get DLNA working and get used to the idea that you will not get "untouched" audio from your movies as you were hoping for.

I just responded to another thread recently with a user trying to stream DLNA to their LG C9 OLED, and I gave them the lowdown on that.  You might want to read it.

Good luck...

rec head

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 06:40:27 am »

There are a number of streaming boxes (Nvidia Sheild is the first that comes to mind) that can be used to stream movies from a server that can be hooked up to the AVR like the above posts mention.

juddcbrown

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2020, 10:03:09 am »

Thanks to all who responded.

I have connected an HDMI cable from my video card to the Denon, and can see my desktop on the TV.

What steps should I use to play the movie then? The Denon and the OLED show up as DLNA devices on MC, but I'm not using DLNA anymore. Where should I put the .mkv file for example on the MC interface to play it?

So close I can hear it.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2020, 10:06:28 am »

Try using MC to play directly now.  Start with audio.  Then video.

Make sure you import files.  The wiki has a topic.

juddcbrown

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2020, 11:47:14 am »

Hi Jim.

Started with Audio. That still works fine going to a USB DAC.

Tried imported Video. That only plays locally on my desktop.

I do see the wallpaper of my desktop on the OLED via HDMI but the movie doesn't play there.

Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2020, 11:57:41 am »

I think you have a dual monitor setup.  You could drag the video window to the second monitor (your TV).  If that works, automate it in Tools > Options > General > Behavior.
Pages: [1]   Go Up