INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there a way to import Winamp .m3u playlists?  (Read 2928 times)

xsfo

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Is there a way to import Winamp .m3u playlists?
« on: April 21, 2003, 08:08:03 pm »

Is there a way to import a .m3u playlist into MC9 so that it becomes a new playlist or replaces the Playing Now? I've tried importing media and dragging .m3u into MC9 but it does not read the playlist as a playlist or anything. I see that you can export a MC9 playlist to a .m3u file. It would seem to makes sense that you should be able to import a .m3u file. I have a few .m3u files from my winamp using days. I currently have MC 9.0.154

Cmagic

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Enjoying life with a little music....
Re: Is there a way to import Winamp .m3u playlists
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2003, 10:09:42 pm »

Hi,

1- Tools / Import Media....

2- Click on [Advanced>>]

3- Check the [Audio Playlist (m3u, pls, xpl, bpl)] box

You should then be able to import your m3u's in MC9 BUT, it seems that Winamp saves the relative path to the filenames inside the m3u playlist and MC9 prefers absolute path to files !
You can edit your m3u files with notepad and manually add the missing part to get the absolute path to your files.

Hope this helps,

have a nice day,

C.

Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)

xsfo

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Is there a way to import Winamp .m3u playlists
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2003, 11:46:52 pm »

Thanks for the suggestion. The key turns out to be that MC9 is finicky about playlists. The Import Playlist function doesn't work the way one might think.

Lines in the playlist which are not absolute paths are ignored.
Paths need to be like C:\mp3s\mp3file.mp3 instead of \mp3s\mp3file.mp3

I really think that the Import Playlist feature needs to be tweaked. The Import .m3u Playlist should handle relative paths (do not ignore them). Take the current path of the .m3u playlist being imported and apply it to the relative path. If the .m3u playlist is C:\playlists\myplaylist.m3u and each mp3 is specified as \mp3s\mp3file.mp3, make the corresponding path C:\mp3s\mp3file.mp3

Handling relative paths should be easy to add. There's no reason it shouldn't be there.

Pages: [1]   Go Up