INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SiliconDust Rocks!  (Read 10906 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
SiliconDust Rocks!
« on: September 04, 2020, 06:37:57 pm »

You probably know who SiliconDust is.  They make the great HDHomerun hardware for adding TV to a computer.  We've supported their network tuners for many years.  Both the hardware and the company are terrific.  I use their HDHomerun Quatro at home.

Recently Nick Kelsey, their owner, and I have been talking and learning more about each other's companies,  I think their customers have similar interests with many of ours.

Nick and I have initially discussed what we can do to make our overall TV experience better.  Nick came up with a very nice change that makes setup quicker and easier.

HDHomeRun tuners will now find MC and automatically select it as the software of choice.  This change should be in today's beta software from SiliconDust.

On our side, Yaobing made changes that automatically query the network tuner and get its EPG.  The EPG is great, and included with their DVR service.  Without that service, you can expect the EPG to cost about $35 per year.  Well worth the price.

The JRiver changes are part of JRiver Media Center 27 which is now just starting to be available.

Thanks to Nick and to Yaobing!  I look forward to seeing what else we can dream up.

Jim Hillegass
CEO

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
Re: SiliconDust Rocks!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2020, 07:51:46 pm »

That looks interesting. I was wondering what I would do if my old PCIe Quad TV Tuner died, as there is no longer any support for it, or an equivalent available.

There is hardware that works in Australia, the HDHomeRun CONNECT QUATRO "HDHR5-4DT (AU)" is what I would go for... except there doesn't seem to be any stock anywhere, and pricing is  :o. But I don't need to right now.

The EPG is also supported in Australia and is from Gracenote, so it should be good.

It looks like the free EPG would be enough to support rules based recording in MC. If I wanted the full 14 day EPG then that requires the $35 annual DVR subscription.

I guess that they shall include JRiver in their "3RD PARTY MEDIA CENTER APPLICATIONS" list at some stage.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

DeaneG

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 09:12:23 pm »

? Just trying to understand - why would I use Silicondust's DVR service if I am running Media Center?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2020, 12:32:15 am »

I've been using HDHomeRuns for about 10 years, and I'm onto my second model.  Closer integration with MC is a good thing.  I've been thinking about getting their latest generation but as RoderickGI points out there is no stock in Australia at all for the new model and the previous model is sold out (the one I have).  It is also good news to have another source of the EPG and US$35 (I presume?) is about right as I currently pay A$3.99 pm for an Australian EPG in XML format ( https://www.icetv.com.au/xmltv-subscription/ ).

I just installed the latest HDHomeRun beta with JRiver support (as per their release notes).  I did not see anything different but then again I already had "JRiver Media Center" selected previously in their setup.

@DeaneG - I'm presuming the paid "DVR" Service will gain access to the EPG from Silicon Dust and you would still record/watch etc from JRiver Media Center.
JRiver CEO Elect

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2020, 07:32:46 am »

I just installed the latest HDHomeRun beta with JRiver support (as per their release notes).  I did not see anything different but then again I already had "JRiver Media Center" selected previously in their setup.
Assuming you have MC27 installed.  I was incorrect about the work Yaobing has done.  It should be working next week.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2020, 03:52:47 pm »

Correct - I was not expecting the MC27 EPG changes yet, just commenting on the change in the HDHomeRun Config SW. 
JRiver CEO Elect

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2020, 03:45:47 pm »

*** cough***  Copy Protected Channels   *** cough***
JRiverMC v32 •Windows 10 Pro 64bit •Defender Exclusions •ṈŘ 3rd party AV
•ASUS TUF gaming WiFi z590 •Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600W
•i7-11700k @ 3.6GHz~5GHz •32GB PC4-25600 DDR4
•OS on Crucial P5 Plus M.2 PCIe Gen4 •Tv Recordings on SATA 6TB WD Red Pro
•4 OTA & 6 CableCard SiliconDust Tuners
•nVidia RTX2060 •XBR65Z9D •AVRX3700H •Fluance 7.2.2 [FH]
•SMP1000DSPѫeD A3-300[RSS315HE-22] •SPA300DѫYSTSW215[15-PRX8S4]

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2020, 06:19:10 pm »

Some ability to play those channels might fall out of the work we're doing.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2020, 08:59:05 pm »

MC integration is noted here:
https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=362693#p362693
HDHomeRun Windows (20200905beta1)
* Auto-detect JRiver Media Center.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2020, 11:08:37 pm »

Using the 20200905beta1 version of the HDHR software via:
HDHomeRun DUAL
Model: HDHR3-DT

I was able to achieve a successful EPG scrape using the OTA option in MC27.0.10 when setting up EPG loading - no special tricks required.

The metadata in terms of programme name and description looks pretty good. For my part of Australia, Season and Episode numbers were missing. As per https://www.freeview.com.au/tv-guide the S/E data is published (depending on the programme and detail offered by the broadcaster), so for some reason the scrape is not finding the data.

Don't know where to from here. This probably deserves its own thread for the Ozzie contingent at least.

Thanks to Yaobing and Jim for getting this together. It's a big positive making it easy for new users to get on the bus.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2020, 11:23:52 pm »

Astromo, if you used the OTA EPG scraping in MC, that would be getting the EIT data, which is very poor and does not include Season and Episode numbers.

Freeview data comes from the internet these days, and is only available when using Freeview devices. The broadcasters have even discontinued the OTA MHEG-5 data which used to provide Season and Episode data. That could have been a cost-cutting exercise when Freeview stopped using MHEG-5 data and moved to internet data.

The choices in Australia are still:
Poor quality OTA EIT data.
Excellent quality IceTV data.
Apparently there is a HTML source that works with MC at  http://xmltv.net/, but I still haven't tried that.

Now possibly the EPG via a HDHomeRun tuner and the DVR service. But that is only supported by a few HDHomerun models. It would be interesting to know what data Gracenote provide for Australia, via this service.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2020, 12:08:52 am »

Yup they killed off the perfectly acceptable MHEG-5 EPG as part of the licencing to go from "Freeview" to "Freeview Plus" which also stop certified devices from skipping adds, ffw, region locking catchup TV etc.  "Freeview Plus" uses HbbTV and one of the Channels/Apps is the combined EPG.  I don't know of anyone scraping this data.

OIT data is not to be relied on as the prog can start earlier or run later than what the EPG says.  Also spotty meta data.

IceTV thankfully won a High Court ruling that said they could compile and sell 3rd party EPG Data.

Gracenote is the other big option.... but till now, there was no way for an end users to get access to it.  Looks like that open will change when a HDHomeRun subscription for those that want it.

I too know nothing about the quality of xmltv.net so can not comment.
JRiver CEO Elect

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2020, 09:48:54 pm »

I've got the HDHR5-4DT and it's awesome.

Don't know exactly what data is being pulled. but the EPG data seems to be pretty good.

bellbuoy

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2020, 12:55:40 am »

So how does one get the Silicon Dust EPG data to load?  I have the latest MC27.0.11,and the latest Silicon Dust  20200907.  When setting up the EPG in MC 27, there is no difference from MC 26 in the "Method for loading Electronic Program Guide" page.  Previously I have been struggling with trying to get EPG123 to do it via the XMLTV option, but with very limited success.   I have also been struggling with getting my HD Homerun Quattro to make good quality recordings in JR.     I have always enabled James River in the BDA Compatability mode in HD Homerun set up.  That option has been available for many years, but my recordings have always been far superior in HD Homerun's DVR.  I hope this new version will fix that

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2020, 01:06:01 am »

FYI - The new integration with HDHomeRun is not yet live in MC27, it will be in a latter version (soonish).
JRiver CEO Elect

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2020, 06:06:35 pm »

NEW: Auto-load TV channels from HDHomeRun devices

NEW: Auto-load EPG from SiliconDust

Both features require MC27.0.16 or higher.

bellbuoy

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2020, 06:44:47 pm »

Is there a place to download that version?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2020, 06:47:09 pm »

Very soon.  Probably tomorrow.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2020, 02:46:55 pm »

Some ability to play those channels might fall out of the work we're doing.

This would be amazing. I actually ended up cancelling my cable service over a year ago and giving up largely on running my own DVRs mostly because of this. Running and managing the "analog hole" recording options using my HD-PVRs became more trouble than it was worth, but switching to a digital turner would have meant I couldn't watch half of the crap I paid for.

My answer was to chuck the whole thing, which seems like a pretty dumb way for companies bleeding customers to do things.

I've been okay with my setup now and living off of streaming and downloads, but... I'd consider signing back up for cable if I could do it in a way that wasn't super-dumb and run my own DVR again. And my friends would be happy to have access to their sportsball games when they come over to hang out and play pool, once that is possible again of course.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

BigCat

• World Citizen
  • Believe...
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2020, 11:33:27 pm »

This sounds cool. I have been lightly following SiliconDust for years. They seem like a good company. Is it true they still support their original models with firmware updates? If true, that is impressive!

I will probably get the new HDHomeRun ATSC 3.0 model once it is available (and maybe gets its bugs worked out). It is on Kickstarter now. I think they are getting delivered soon (I wouldn't use Kickstarter again after using it a couple times in the past got me on multiple email spammer's lists).

Glad to hear JRiver will integrate well with it when I get one.

CZ Eddie

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2020, 08:54:23 am »

I have been lightly following SiliconDust for years. They seem like a good company. Is it true they still support their original models with firmware updates?

I'm not sure?
If you go to their website, then there is a single install file for all models, old or new. 
So you're not selecting which model you have and then downloading based on that. 

As for after you have the software installed and it occasionally tells you there is an update available, I'm not sure if *that* update is model specific or not.
I suspect even that may be the same file for all models. 

So it's probably an OS update instead of a firmware update.  That's my guess.
And all old or new models run the same OS.

S. Pupp

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2020, 10:01:07 am »

This sounds cool. I have been lightly following SiliconDust for years. They seem like a good company. Is it true they still support their original models with firmware updates?

Although I turned it off while experimenting with MC27, I still use my first generation HDHR, which must be over 10 years old by now.  Its firmware is 20200225 (February 2020).  It still works just fine with JRiver MC26.

digitaldude

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2020, 09:56:19 am »

I think its a bit of an Expense to be honest,especially in the uk. I use Android box with IPTV every Channel from around the world for nothing.(cough).

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2020, 10:55:24 am »

This sounds cool. I have been lightly following SiliconDust for years. They seem like a good company. Is it true they still support their original models with firmware updates? If true, that is impressive!

FWIW, I have an HD Homerun Prime model that was launched in 2011.  It's still receiving firmware updates (including one last month).

BigCat

• World Citizen
  • Believe...
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2020, 09:18:07 pm »

Thanks y'all for confirming about the firmware updating. That speaks volumes to me about SiliconDust's commitment to customer equity, at least in that one area. I know nothing about their commitment to privacy or other issues, but it sounds promising.

The HDHomeRun Quatro 4K ATSC 3.0 on Kickstarter looks like it has arrived at their headquarters today, and is about to be shipped out to backers. I am curious how it pans out. I have never used such a device.

stevemac

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2020, 07:56:21 pm »

can JRiver suggest to SiliconDust to review Australian stockists / stock availability?  I would give the Quatro and MC integration a go, but cannot get the AU version [HDHR5-4DT(AU)]

thx,

Steve

Dantos

• World Citizen
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2021, 10:47:33 pm »

I've got the HDHR5-4DT and it's awesome.

Don't know exactly what data is being pulled. but the EPG data seems to be pretty good.

Hi, is this the free 24hr or full US$35 subscription version of HDHR EPG? Does it provide series and episode data like iceTV? I wonder if anyone in Oz has compared the two?

in Australia I have HDHR5-4DT(AU) HDHomeRun CONNECT QUATRO Gen5 together with Windows MC 27.0.43. I use IceTV for EPG and under “schedule guide recording” I only have XMLTV ticked pointing to IceTV data file. I do have Media Network ticked and DLNA enabled and "DLNA Controller (control other DLNA devices)" is checked. I am a bit reluctant to mess with ditching the ICETV settings (to try and get HDHR EPG) unless it is free or better than IceTV

CHaun

• World Citizen
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2021, 07:59:04 am »

Is the HDHomerun Prime with CableCard supported?

I need to ditch my ancient Ceton boxes and Windows 7 ASAP!  =)

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2021, 08:08:24 am »

Is the HDHomerun Prime with CableCard supported?

I need to ditch my ancient Ceton boxes and Windows 7 ASAP!  =)

Yes, except channels with DRM protection.  Check with your cable provider first.  Ceton devices are supported too.  So you can try using it in MC now and test how many channels you can watch.  If MC works with your Ceton, it should work with HDHomerun Prime better.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2021, 07:28:57 am »

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2021, 04:35:01 pm »