INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 9.0.138 beta  (Read 2830 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Media Center 9.0.138 beta
« on: March 31, 2003, 09:33:35 am »

Media Center 9.0.138 beta is available.        

Some things may not work.  If that worries you, please wait until Media Center is out of beta.

ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/MediaCenter90138.exe

1. Changed: MC won't display a "Confirm Library Changes" dialog unless 100 or more files are changed.
2. Changed: MC menus wouldn't allow items to be selected with the right mouse button.
3. Fixed: Right-click MRU tracking was adding all items to the MRU list, not just right-click items.
4. Changed: Property pane always shows "no files selected" instead of the display if no files are selected.
5. Fixed: Right-click -> Send To on the player window was affecting the selected files, not the playing file.
6. Fixed: MC wasn't using the search wizard for playlist ID searches.
7. Fixed: MC dragged smartlists did not take into account the filter view.
8. Fixed: MC skip duplicate conversion feature.
9. Fixed: Media Center was not importing files from some directories even after user agreed to import from the directories.
10. Fixed: Media Center would show multiple error messages if it failed to connect to Media Server.
11. Fixed: Some flakiness in CD labeler handling cover art files.
12. NEW: Right click option on playlist selection tree to select or deselect all group subitems.
13. Changed: Several art updates.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
Re: Media Center 9.0.138 beta
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2003, 10:14:13 am »

I don't know why this is happening, but for the last couple of builds, MC has been scrolling very slowly and in large "chunks". This is in List Style, so it's not thumbnails causing it.

I've also noticed that the scrollbar seems to have a down state. No other Windows program has this. Just wondering why MC does, and if it could possibly be related to the slowdown I mentioned above.

The installer is still using the old MJ icon.

I love the new icons. Are you planning on making seperate icons for audio, video, & images?

Synesthesiatic

• Recent member
  • If anybody needs me, I'll be in my room
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2003, 10:18:05 am »

I can't seem to find the back and forward buttons  :o.

~ Adam ~

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2003, 10:21:22 am »

On any of the "system" playlists (Top Hits, Recently Played, Recently Imported), if you move the mouse cursor over the second column header (whichever that may be - for me it's Name) and then try to move left on to the first column header (Seq), it doesn't highlight. It will if you move onto it from below or the top or whatever. Just not if you move to it from the column to the right of it.

</nitpick>

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2003, 10:22:34 am »

Did MC go back to backwards sorting? I thought it was reversed so that you would click on the columns in the order you wanted them sorted by. Now you have to do it in the opposite order, like you used to. Did this get changed back? Or is it a bug?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2003, 10:23:06 am »

I don't know why this is happening, but for the last couple of builds, MC has been scrolling very slowly and in large "chunks". This is in List Style, so it's not thumbnails causing it.

Can't reproduce it.  Anyone else?

I've also noticed that the scrollbar seems to have a down state. No other Windows program has this. Just wondering why MC does, and if it could possibly be related to the slowdown I mentioned above.

We're just that much cooler.

The installer is still using the old MJ icon.

Where in the installer?

I love the new icons. Are you planning on making seperate icons for audio, video, & images?

Thanks -- Jim and I worked hard on them.  As for separate images, next version...

Did MC go back to backwards sorting? I thought it was reversed so that you would click on the columns in the order you wanted them sorted by. Now you have to do it in the opposite order, like you used to. Did this get changed back? Or is it a bug?

The timing thing was a failed experiment.  If you want forward sorting, just hold down [Shift] while you pick columns.

Jonas

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2003, 10:24:37 am »

Are there any changes planned to the BPM detection algorithms?

For a lot of my music MC calculates a BPM value which is one half of the correct value (82 instead of 164, or 91 instead of 182, and so on).  This happens for at least 50% of the songs.  Actually, of 2140 songs analyzed so far the greatest value calculated is 157, and there are only about 50 songs with values above 140.

I have no idea how the BPM calculation is implemented, but if it's a matter of tuning the sensitivity of the algorithm using some kind of threshold (so that depending on how you set the threshold, you either get underestimates at one end of the spectrum or overestimates at the other end), maybe it would be possible to expose this threshold to the user so that we can adapt the setting to a particular music style/genre?

Another possibility might be to specify some kind of expected range, so that I can say "this music is 120-190 BPM" and if the analysis suggests 82 BPM this would automatically be doubled.

Yet another possibility which I have seen in another BPM-calculating program would be to allow us to select a set of files and apply "Multiply BMP by 2" or "Multiply BPM by 0.5" -- or is this already possible?  But then it would be better if MC calculated BPM values with one decimal, so that we don't sacrifice too much precision when values are multiplied by 2.

(Or can anyone suggest another BPM calculator which can save values in ID3 fields that MC can understand?)

Cmagic

• Enjoying life with a little music....
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2003, 10:30:52 am »

Hi Matt,

artwork is getting nice, good job !

Some probs with visualization studio :
Editing a text element with embedded text editor does not produce any change in visulaization.
Custom fields and composer still not displayed in either visualization or track info.

No problem here with scrolling.

Christian.

Listening to: 'Seven String' from 'Strange Beautiful Music' by 'Joe Satriani' on Media Center 9.0
Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2003, 10:31:52 am »

BPM

BPM analysis is a toy feature -- it works pretty well, but it's not an exact science.

To be honest, I'm never even sure if I'm tapping my foot half or twice as fast as I should...

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2003, 10:33:33 am »

Where in the installer?

The taskbar icon during install.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2003, 10:35:47 am »

Ok, I figured out the slow scrolling. It appears to be caused by using gridlines. I disabled them and the problem went away.

But that leads me to my next question.

When was it decided to organize all the options screens alphabetically? Not a big deal, I just have to relearn the layout (along with the new menus :P ).

ZRocker

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2003, 10:37:06 am »

Bugs:
1. After using a menu item via the keyboard only (like [Alt-E] then I (invert selection), the top-level menu item is left enabled/highlighted (in this case Edit).  That's not right.

Comment:
1. Still dislike the new Org tree feature where you must press [Ctrl-A] (select all) to highlight everything in Content view to see it in File Properties views.  It gets very confusing with sticky logic saving selections too...cuz if you select all, then import and return to some view that had all items selected (but not now because of importing or smartlist criteria), it's hard to notice that you really don't have everything selected (if 100s or 1000s of items are/were selected prior and 'stuck').

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2003, 10:37:30 am »

The only "problem" I've noticed with the down state on the scroll bar is that it doesn't line up right when it's down. It shifts to the left when you click on it.

Also, it tends to not come back "up" sometimes until you select a file in the list.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2003, 10:46:26 am »

Gridlines

They're slow because of special handling to go around Microsoft bugs.

We tried removing the gridline option in version 8, and it wasn't pretty.  We'll leave them there -- even if they are really slow.

Comment:
1. Still dislike the new Org tree feature where you must press [Ctrl-A] (select all) to highlight everything in Content view to see it in File Properties views.  It gets very confusing with sticky logic saving selections too...cuz if you select all, then import and return to some view that had all items selected (but not now because of importing or smartlist criteria), it's hard to notice that you really don't have everything selected (if 100s or 1000s of items are/were selected prior and 'stuck').

I'm with you -- but the majority still votes for "none on none" instead of "all on none".  Maybe our "Are you sure you want to change 10,000 files?" dialog makes it safe to go back to "all on none".  Opinions?

Cmagic

• Enjoying life with a little music....
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2003, 10:50:37 am »

Hi Matt,

I'm also a "all on none" supporter.

I'm of the lazy type, you know, where pressing Ctrl-A is a bit much at the end of a tiring day :)

Listening to: 'Cross My Heart' from 'Human Touch' by 'Bruce Springsteen' on Media Center 9.0
Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2003, 11:01:48 am »

Add to Playing Now doesn't honor MC's Shuffle status.

I realize that there is Add to Playing Now (shuffled) and (shuffle all), but wouldn't it be more intuitive if Add to Playing Now honored the Shuffle mode?

The reason this has come up is because I just noticed that if you Play files from Quick Play, the shuffle the way they should, but if you Add to Playing Now from Quick Play, it doesn't.

Play and AtPN are the only two options you get through Quick Play. So if you're using Quick Play, how do you AtPN and have it shuffled?

WolfWalker

• Galactic Citizen
bug report
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2003, 11:07:16 am »

2 things

I can not import new song using import on the menu but if I go to windows explore I can import from there.

download manger does not import downloaded files

work pc
Media Center Registered 9.0.138 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

Microsoft Windows 2000  Workstation 5.0 Service Pack 3 (Build 2195)
Intel Pentium III 992 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 324 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.81 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
Shell32.dll: 5.00.3502.6144 / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  No burners found.
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

So much music so little time!

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2003, 11:09:24 am »

I'm with you -- but the majority still votes for "none on none" instead of "all on none".  Maybe our "Are you sure you want to change 10,000 files?" dialog makes it safe to go back to "all on none".  Opinions?

I'm staying out of it this time. I've said my piece. :P

With that said, I'd be willing to give it a test run with the new confirmation box. Although I'd still hate to have to fix 99 files if I accidentally set them all to the same album or something and didn't notice in time to use Undo. :P

wickamo

• Recent member
  • I know what I like, and I like what I know.
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2003, 11:20:33 am »

Still no Ripping  -- Any update on when the drive access layer will work again?  

rocketsauce

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2003, 11:47:09 am »

Installing update resets customized menu bar to the default icons.

Still having problems with sorting. Clicking on a column heading appears to stick in some view schemes, but not in others. In the cases where it doesn't stick, it seems to sort the tracks by album name, but in some kind of random order, not chronological or alphabetical.

Rob

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2003, 11:53:30 am »

Installing update resets customized menu bar to the default icons.

They said a couple of builds ago that because of the work they're doing on menus and such that any customization to the toolbar and menus would be lost from build to build.

10sne1

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2003, 11:57:13 am »

When I try to play TV station I get message that TV failed to open (unknown error).  When I click ok MC closes.  I have an ATI video card and recently installed DirectX9 if that helps but I am able to play tv tuner through the ATI program (without MC).

Media Center Registered 9.0.138 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 1993 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1309 MB, Free - 798 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1145 (xpsp2.021108-1929) / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive F:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive H:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: Yes  Soundfile:   chord.wav

Burning /  Drive F: _NEC     NR-7800A           Addr: 2:1:0  Speed:16  MaxSpeed:16  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

schwaa

• Junior Woodchuck
  • and then...
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2003, 11:59:24 am »

on builds .137 and .138 the toolbar customizations were not recalled from previous build selections.  I had to re-customize again.  

I have seen this issue come and go over the last while

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2003, 12:05:49 pm »

?

They said a couple of builds ago that because of the work they're doing on menus and such that any customization to the toolbar and menus would be lost from build to build.

Marko

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2003, 12:33:51 pm »

mc is still crashing after installing the mp3 plugin.

and....

toolbar customizations are lost after installing each new build....

:D;)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2003, 12:38:48 pm »

Marko,
Please start a new thread on the encoder plug-in problem and provide the details.  I can't duplicate it if I install it from the web page I get from the plug-in manager.

Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up