INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Preview of JRVR in MC29  (Read 3328 times)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Preview of JRVR in MC29
« on: February 13, 2022, 02:24:29 am »

I think the value proposition of JRVR and madVR are a bit different.  I've a few different setups:
- JVC N7 to a perforated 16:9 125" Screen driven by a 1660Ti that is the main HT (7.2.4)
- Sony 65" OLED driven by a 1660Ti that is the main TV
- Epson 9300 to a 16:9 100" screen driven by a NUC8 (rumpus room)
- LG 65" OLED NUC7 driving a 60" LG OLED in a guest quarters
- Pair of Philips 436M6 driven by a 3090 on my "Main PC" that I use for grading

Here is why I'm now using JRVR vs madVR on my various setups:

- JRVR is vastly more efficient, and even the NUCs can output HDR passthough on content up to and including UHD HDR 59.94 without dropping frames.  madVR cannot do this.  It is worth noting, that both these setups are more for casual viewing where I'm more interested in getting smooth playback than squeezing that last bit of image quality.  Works well.

- I also use Passthrough on the Sony 65" even though it has a 1660Ti as it is main TV.  I let the TV do any tonemapping as it too is more casual TV viewing.  Works Well

- I also use Passthrough on the Philips 436M6s with the 3090 but this is the work PC and when grading the output is actually from the BlackMagic UltraStudio 4K, and then previewed using JRVR in Passthrough mode to check it all looks correct.  Works well.

- Now the more contentious is the dedicated HT setup.  madVR vs JRVR.  That is the question.  It needs tonemapping.  I've run madVR on this for years (including the development versions).  Currently I'm running JRVR and I'm very happy with it and in real time viewing I see no difference.  I'm not sure I particularly care about what exact shade the explosions in MadMax are, or Voldemort's energy bolts, or the tip of the spear that gets endlessly discussed in the madVR thread.  I more care that the playback is smooth without dropping frames or that there is no brightness pulsing, blown highlights, crushed blacks... or other artefacts that pull you out of the story.  I think this is where JRVR shines.  It just works. 

The extra efficiency means that you are not running on the edge all the time.  It is easy to setup to get a great looking picture without needing 1,000 tweaks..... you know the ones that look great on one scene then no so good on another?  I'm soooo over knob twiddling, bit polishing, and pixel peeping.... I just want to watch some movies not sit their evaluating the image. 

That said, there is a strong case for madVR and its inclusion in MC.  It has all sorts of flexibility and customising to suit a particular setup that I don't see JRVR ever having.  If you want to squeeze the absolute best image quality out of MC, then madVR is your option. 

Now... what movie should I watch?
JRiver CEO Elect

lello

• MC Beta Team
Re: Preview of JRVR in MC29
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2022, 02:44:32 am »

I have a 143 inch 21: 9 screen and project with an Epson TW9400.

I ditched madvr mainly for one reason: I was tired of crashes despite using Asmodian's low profile with an RX580. Also, you can't spend your time configuring madvr, which sometimes gave me the impression of being too short a blanket (if I solved one problem, another would arise).
However, this does not mean wanting to despise madvr, on the contrary it remains an excellent solution for those who demand the most and can afford the maximum in terms of video cards.

I too hardly distinguish a BD from a BDUHD and have a good view.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2022, 03:03:17 am »

FYI - Here is an example of the performance of JRVR.  These are all from Gemini Man, UHD HDR HFR (59.94fps).  The 3090 can hardly keep itself awake, the 1660Ti is working a bit harder (it is also tonemapping), and beyond belief the lowly NUC is keeping up without dropping frames even when the peak is exceeding 16.67ms when Subs are being displayed.  The 3090 and 1660Ti have all the JRVR goodies turned ON, and the NUC is in basic settings.  I can't wait to see what else Hendrik has planned as while JRVR will run on very basic iGPU's it also has plenty of untapped potential for discrete GPUs. 

Note:  These are all with a pre released MC29 version where there has been additional performance improvements with Subtitle rendering that I was testing.
JRiver CEO Elect

bluescale

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2022, 03:33:10 am »

I think this is where JRVR shines.  It just works.  The extra efficiency means that you are not running on the edge all the time.  It is easy to setup to get a great looking picture without needing 1,000 tweaks..... you know the ones that look great on one scene then no so good on another?  I'm soooo over knob twiddling, bit polishing, and pixel peeping.... I just want to watch some movies not sit their evaluating the image.  That said, there is a strong case for madVR and it's inclusion in MC.  It has all sorts of flexibility and customising to suit a particular setup that I don't see JRVR ever having.  If you want to squeeze the absolute best image quality out of MC, then madVR is your option. 

Now... what movie should I watch?

This is why I’m so interested in JRVR’s value proposition. My wife no longer has patience for the invariable futzing every time we want to watch something in the theater. She’d rather watch it streamed on the AppleTV in the living loom. Now that we have a 73” OLED out there, it’s taken the sting out of it a bit, but I miss watching movies on a 120” screen from my JVC. If I can get MC with JRVR to be set it and forget it levels of easy, and still get the quality tone mapping I need, I’m in. I hope to give it a shot next weekend, but I don’t know if I can deal with the lack of 3dlut capabilities. Any word on when that’s coming?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2022, 03:50:13 am »

Hendrik is doing a whole bunch of plumbing work related to JRVR.  Completely redoing Subtitle presentation, making it cross compatible with Linux/OSX, improving performance etc.  I'm sure we will see plenty of features added during MC29.

Edit: in the mean time just give it a go.  It won't change any of your madVR settings.
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2022, 04:53:01 am »

This why I’m so interested in JRVR’s value proposition. My wife no longer has patience for the invariable futzing every time we want to watch something in the theater. She’d rather watch it streamed on the AppleTV in the living loom. Now that we have a 73” OLED out there, it’s taken the sting out of it a bit, but I miss watching movies on a 120” screen from my JVC. If I can get MC with JRVR to be set it and forget it levels of easy, and still get the quality tone mapping I need, I’m in. I hope to give it a shot next weekend, but I don’t know if I can deal with the lack of 3dlut capabilities. Any word on when that’s coming?

I just watched "Reacher" on Prime and.... the quality was terrible.  I tried to take a screen shot but it was blank (copy protection).  The blacks were so crushed you could see big black squares all over the dark scenes.  Streaming might be "easy" but it leaves a lot to be desired. 
JRiver CEO Elect

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2022, 07:45:48 am »

RC23,
I'm going to move your post to the Video board.

Smack

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2022, 08:49:26 am »

Ia an amd APU also useable with JRVR? I really don’t want to buy an 3060ti to use madvr to get a descent picture (upscale 1080p ->2160p) and dynamic Tonemapping (does JRVR do dynamic tonemapping?)!

I wanted to buy this mainboard CPU bundle and run JRVR

https://www.csl-computer.com/mainboard-cpu-bundles/amd-ryzen-3-4300ge-asus-prime-a520m-k-mainboard-bundle.html

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2022, 02:50:57 pm »

Here is another side by side comparison test, this time on a "normal" Blu ray (which Subtitles are Showing) being upscaled to UHD on a 3090, 1660Ti, and NUC7 (iGPU) respectively.  Both the 3090 and 1660Ti are able to do this with the highest quality settings in JRVR.  The NUC7 is in the basic settings.  All 3 GPU's can handle this without dropping frames with rendering time under the 41.7ms required for 23.976fps content.
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2022, 02:59:15 pm »

...and another one, playing back interlaced 1080/50i BD (with Subtitles showing) being deinterlaced and upscaled to UHD on a 3090, 1660Ti, and NUC7 (iGPU) respectively.  The 3090 has no issues at the highest settings.  The 1660Ti had to be dropped from FSRCNNX16 to FSRCNNX8 (red line) else it would start dropping frames, and the NUC7 is in the basic settings.  All 3 GPU's can handle this without dropping frames with rendering time under the 20ms required for 50fps.
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2022, 03:05:05 pm »

So for GPU recommendations:
- If you have an iGPU then that is what you have.  JRVR will work using the basic settings over a full range of content.  But it will push the iGPU and for some the fan noise may be an issue as it is whirring at max.
- Dedicated GPUs have much more performance head room giving you the flexibility to employ a range of JRVR "high quality" features.  An older mid range card like the 1660Ti performs very well, but on some content (like the interlaced HD BD being upscaled and deinterlaced) you may need to turn down some settings.  High end GPUs like a 3090 can easily handle all of JRVR's "high quality" features.
JRiver CEO Elect

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2022, 03:34:55 pm »

With upcoming improvements to subtitles, you could probably even push upscaling a tiny bit on the NUC for those 1080p video. There seems to be quite some room still!
Maybe a Cubic would work - or at the very least FastCubic.

The high peaks are probably being caused by memory contention while its uploading subtitles. That'll improve further in the coming updates.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2022, 04:03:27 pm »

;D
JRiver CEO Elect

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2022, 07:02:09 am »

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2022, 07:27:50 am »

Please use this thread for video hardware discussion:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,132091.0.html

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2022, 03:17:36 pm »

Here are some screen shots of JRVR doing DV --> HDR10 Passthrough and Tonemapping on a 3090 (Passthrough), 1660Ti (Tonemapping), and NUC7 (Passthrough).  Looks pretty efficient as even the NUC can keep up on the DV Profile 5 sample (also tested a Profile 8 ).  More importantly, the resultant image looked good.

JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up