INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some Albums' Cover Art Keeps Disappearing  (Read 824 times)

seamonster

• Recent member
Some Albums' Cover Art Keeps Disappearing
« on: May 08, 2022, 07:04:56 am »

I have a big library.  Almost all albums have the folder.jpg file in their folders and have their cover arts properly displayed at one time.

From time to time many of the cover arts will suddenly disappear.  I have thousands of albums and sometimes 10-33% lost the cover art.  The folder files are still there in the album folder but the desktop just shows a quarter note icon and not pick up the cover art.  I waited for the JRiver desktop to refresh.  Some do come back but many don't.

- If I do "Cover Art - Add from File", sometimes the Cover Art comes back and sometimes it won't.  Some cover art just won't reappear no matter what.  And because so many are missing I cannot do one by one.
- I can group select and then do a "Library Tool - Update Library (from Tags)".  The cover arts will mostly come back.  Then again, some won't and I have to do individual "Cover Art - Add from File".  Then by luck some will get the cover art back but some just still won't reappear.  Given vast number of the missing cover arts and my library size, this takes a long time.

And then may be a week or a month after, the cover arts will disappear from the desktop again.  The disappearance seems random.

This has been an recurring problem since many versions ago.  It seems there is a bug somewhere and will act up from time to time.  As I grow my library this becomes a bigger and bigger problem.

HELP!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Some Albums' Cover Art Keeps Disappearing
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2022, 09:12:40 am »

Any removable drives?

Check your setting for Location > Cover Art

On the wiki, read about Cover Art Quick Find.

Antivirus. 

seamonster

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2022, 05:23:54 am »

Yes, my music is stored on the Hard Drive connected to my router which acts as a network harddrive.  Computer is connected with a lan cable to the router.

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2022, 06:24:01 am »

Yes, my music is stored on the Hard Drive connected to my router which acts as a network harddrive.  Computer is connected with a lan cable to the router.

Thanks
That's probably not working very well.  Try a Google search for problems with that configuration.

seamonster

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2022, 11:53:26 am »

Jim,

Thanks but I can’t find the answer :(.  Is this a known problem with external drive and currently no solution? My album covers keep disappearing randomly and refuse to stick even when I “add from file” with the Folder.jpg there in the album folder.

capnizzy

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2022, 12:24:40 am »

I have had the same issue, exactly as reported by seamonster.  I too experienced this issue with every version of Media Center, and I've used quite a few. I use a 4TB internal hard drive. All cd's were ripped to the hard drive in .wav (uncompressed) format. I'd work very hard to get every single album jacket and over time, some would be replaced by the generic quarter note icon as described by seamonster. I'd add it back, and as soon as I would click away... the album art would disappear again. One time I deleted the album from Media Center (not from the hard drive).. went to the hard drive and renamed the folder containing the audio tracks for that particular album ... went back to Media Center, ran import again. The album was re-imported and the album cover art/jacket was able to be added, and it remained.  However, over time, other album art work would randomly disappear. I just gave up as the workaround didn't always work ,and was cumbersome even when it did. I consider myself lucky as it only affects approximately 1%  of my 5K albums. I'm willing to test any suggestions for a fix...  Thanks

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2022, 07:43:32 am »

I would suggest several steps to try to narrow this down. For an album that does not display, check the Image tag in the tag editor and see what it shows. You can also check Tag Dump at the bottom of the tag editor to see if there is an image in the file.   A tag editor like Mp3Tag can also be used. If there is an image there, it may be that the thumbnail is missing So, right click on the track on try Cover Art - Rebuild Thumbnail.

seamonster

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2022, 04:49:57 am »

Tag is not the issue.  I have JRiver on my computer in my study and another on my computer in my living room where my main system is.  The album cover of a CD shows up on the JRiver in my living room computer but I can not make it show on my computer in my study no matter what.  Same version of Media Center and same Windows 10.  Why this is so is beyond me.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2022, 06:43:02 am »

Antivirus?  What are you using?

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2022, 07:41:55 am »