INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Streaming performance outside the home  (Read 999 times)

KeekUras

• Recent member
Streaming performance outside the home
« on: August 11, 2022, 03:33:00 pm »

Hey there! Here's a little info on my setup:

Home:
Shiomax JRiver 29 Docker
Firewalla Gold firewall
AT&T 1GB fiber service

Work
500M dedicated fiber

I am pretty well versed in networking, as that's what I do for a living. However, I can't seem to get MC to stream consistently outside my home. I've used Airsonic with D-Sub for a player for quite some time and have zero issues with it streaming to my phone or to my office over Wi-Fi, 4G or wired connections. I came back to JRiver again because I'd really like one app for music period, whether I'm at home or on the go, plus for sound quality playback, nothing come close except Roon, IMO. I think I've tried just about every media server from Twonky to Plex for managing music and all have lacked in one way or another, so I end up managing multiple copies of the same playlists in different apps, which gets really old.

But anyway, streaming with MC outside my home, I'm lucky to get 3-5 songs to play before a problem occurs. I'm using Media Center 29 at work for my player and I constantly run into "Something went wrong with playback". I have to try once or twice to get it to start playing again. This is over a 1GB wired LAN connection.

On my cellphone, I've tried JRiver for Android, Gizmo and M04Media and they all perform about the same, unless I'm on my home Wi-Fi, then it works great. I've tried all the conversion settings and I can't really seem to get any consistent performance.

On my Firewalla, I have uPNP enabled and I have 52101, 52100 & 52199 forwarded. Any thing else you folks might recommend I look into?

Thanks,
K

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Streaming performance outside the home
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2022, 04:16:52 pm »

The wiki has a topic called Network Access.

You may be streaming high bandwidth files.  Try converting.

Or your employer may be limiting the bandwidth.  Does it also happen in other locations?

You could use your phone at home to test by using its data rather than your home network.  Just disconnect from your network.

Anything in the middle that could slow down disk access?  Antivirus?

zybex

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2022, 04:33:22 pm »

Try doing a wireshark capture at both ends to figure out what's causing the connection to drop.
1Gb (not GB! :D) --> 500Mb connection is more than enough for any kind of music/video streaming... assuming the 1Gb is symmetric.

KeekUras

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2022, 02:42:04 pm »

Technically, its 940Mb symmetrical but it's advertised as 1Gb  ::) Marketing ftw.

No music streaming is currently blocked here at the office, I'm the network admin so I am positive about that one. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to Wireshark my end properly at home because it's a JRiver MC 29 Docker running in unRAID. I guess I could if I got a device that supports port mirroring.

I'm not using any WiFi when streaming on my phone. As mentioned, I've also tried the conversion settings with no luck. My collection is FLAC so I figured I'd need some conversion, especially streaming to cell :)

As a test, I simultaneously streamed from MC & Airsonic and only MC doesn't perform as it should. Even though its not optimal, I think I'll just stick with Airsonic for streaming outside the home for now since it simply works and only needs port 4040 forwarded. Luckily I can still use M04Media with my Sonos system in my house and JRiver for Android on my Shield for playing multichannel audio.

Thank you for your responses.

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2022, 09:04:14 pm »

I used port forwarding with MC for a while and it generally worked ok with the odd hiccup, but recently I have turned off port forwarding and moved onto using a VPN to access my home network and have found that it is extremely reliable.

If your routing setup supports it maybe give that a try.
Pages: [1]   Go Up