INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Synching issues with Sony Walkman NWA306  (Read 604 times)

Mr Swordfish

• World Citizen
Synching issues with Sony Walkman NWA306
« on: June 30, 2023, 09:30:01 am »

I've obtained a Sony Walkman NWA306 and installed JRiver for Android on it.  I've also installed a 1Tb SD card for extra storage.  I'm running into three issues:

1) I can't get MC to use the SD card for storage so it only "sees" about 18G of storage and complains that it's more than I have available. How do I tell MC to use the SD card? I've tried changing the file path for the handheld, but nothing seems to work.

2) MC won't transfer the .m4a files.  MC will happily play them, and the handheld supports that format, but MC won't transfer them without re-encoding them, which makes the files larger and (probably) makes the sound worse.

3) When I do get something to transfer over, I can't find it in the JRiver for Android app. I can see the files using Windows Explorer or the file manager on the device, but I'm at a loss for where it is hidden in the app.

Any ideas? 

Mr Swordfish

• World Citizen
Re: Synching issues with Sony Walkman NWA306
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2023, 10:04:42 am »

I found what I think is the answer for issue #2. 

Tools -> Options -> Handheld -> Files Paths and More -> Supported formats

The default is supposed to be (according to the documentation) *.* so that all formats may be transferred as-is.  Instead, the default is wav;mp3;mpg;mpeg;jpg;bmp;gif;png;tif;tiff;wma;ogg;aac;mp4;mp2;3gp;flac; 

Adding m4a cures the error notification, but issues 1 and 3 remain.  I can see the files in the file manager, but can't figure out how to make the app find them.

Also, the early version of JRiver for Android did not support reading from SD cards. Has this been fixed?

Mr Swordfish

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2023, 10:46:33 am »

I found some option on the handheld to "Import the library" and after doing that I can see the files in the native player and JRiver.  I'm not sure which app prompted me for the import.

I can play the files using the native app. But it doesn't present the files as playlists (and I didn't expect it to)

Meanwhile, I can't find the playlists in JRiver, all I can do is see the audio files in the file system.  And when I try to play one, there is no audio.

Is there a manual somewhere?  I'm finding it not intuitive at all and I'm happy to read instructions.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2023, 10:48:59 am »

The wiki is the manual.

Mr Swordfish

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2023, 10:59:50 am »

Well, the wiki doesn't cover most of these issues, or when it does it's hard to find - for instance try searching for SD Card:

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php?title=Special%3ASearch&search=sd+card&go=Go

That's why I'm asking here.  Seems like  simple straightforward questions that should have a simple answer, but the docs don't address it.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2023, 11:03:29 am »

You might try using Google to search and adding JRiver.

Mr Swordfish

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2023, 04:44:13 pm »

I've solved issue #1 now.

JRiver treats the default storage and the SD card as separate devices, in my case named "Sony Walkman" and "Sony Walkman 1".  So the answer is to just ignore the default storage (or save it for something else, like podcasts) 

So issues 1,2, and 3 are now solved. Thanks to everyone who helped.
Pages: [1]   Go Up