INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver as a client on an htpc connected to a receiver  (Read 589 times)

kritike24

• Junior Woodchuck
JRiver as a client on an htpc connected to a receiver
« on: July 08, 2023, 07:44:39 pm »

Hi all,

I am fairly new to jriver and i love it. For the most i have everything working as it should, except i ran into a bump in the road.

I have an nuc hooked up to my denon receiver via hdmi. I use the nuc as a jriver client to playback from jriver server. The nuc is plugged into one input on the receiver and i have the two receiver outputs going to a tv and a philips hue sync box. I use the nuc two ways, one to play to my main zone speakers 11 ch and then to zone 2 to my 2 ch speakers. Sometimes i will play to both zones simultaneously and other times i will play to either main zone or zone 2. The issue here is that when the receiever is off or the nuc input is not selected my nuc shows no audio device. I have jriver set to launch at startup and basically it is always running. The issue is that once i either switch input on denon or shut the denon and jriver is opened, basically the next time or if i vnc in to the nuc jriver is frozen and has to be closed and restarted. i know the issue is related to edid, so i bought 2 boxes to test. That is issue number one.

Second issue is being i have two different zones of speakers, the nuc is supposed to pick that up. say for main zone, the properties of the audio should be max 8 ch. where zone 2, max ch is 2. Using the edid box i tricked the system, i put my main zone on with the nuc input selected and it shows in the properties denon avr with 8 ch max and all the bit rates etc. and i copied that to the device. So basically if i put zone 2 on the nuc thinks there are 8 chs, which is fine because i am jriver as wasapi so any 2 ch files will play through those 2 speakers. i tried 5.1 and 7.1 flac while on zone 2 and it did not play which is fine, but what i did was put on main zone at the same time and the main played the 7ch....also if i play 2 ch file both main and zone 2 work this way.

I have gotten this far, it's been a long day.....what ideally i am looking for now is this. The one box that i did not get these results never dropped the signal, whether anything was on/off etc.

This box seems to drop the signal for a second and comes back regardless of what input or power state receiver is in. the problem here now is that if an audio track was playing in order for me to not have jriver freeze i have to hit stop and then i am good to go. where as the other box when the receiver was off or input switched the song kept playing and playist kept going, which was good if i wanted to turn system on and then use my phone to control jriver. where as this way, if i goto use my phone most likely sending the tracks will freeze the progrma and then i will have to vnc in or goto nuc itself and restart/

Is there anyway that if there is a signal drop, i can have jriver stop playing? i already checked off dont put display to sleep for hdmi audio no good.

The next question is was all the above necessary could i achieve this an other way?

Thank you! There is alot of good info above it may help people as well!

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Is this NUC running Windows? If yes, you are experiencing Windows "display detection" at work. In your case it's "audio device" detection, basically anything HDMI. You can blame EDID / Windows hotplug "feature". Your best option is to get a hardware EDID emulation device between the NUC and the AVR. The one that worked best for me was:
https://atlona.com/product/at-etu-sync/

Some other links for background on the topic, although "display" related still apply to your issue:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,136452.0.html
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,136035.msg943477.html#msg943477
JRiverMC v32 •Windows 10 Pro 64bit •Defender Exclusions •ṈŘ 3rd party AV
•ASUS TUF gaming WiFi z590 •Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600W
•i7-11700k @ 3.6GHz~5GHz •32GB PC4-25600 DDR4
•OS on Crucial P5 Plus M.2 PCIe Gen4 •Tv Recordings on SATA 6TB WD Red Pro
•4 OTA & 6 CableCard SiliconDust Tuners
•nVidia RTX2060 •XBR65Z9D •AVRX3700H •Fluance 7.2.2 [FH]
•SMP1000DSPѫeD A3-300[RSS315HE-22] •SPA300DѫYSTSW215[15-PRX8S4]

kritike24

• Junior Woodchuck

I got an edid emulator that i put in play the issue now is that if a file was playing and i switched in put or powered off receiver then the next time i turn on unit or input if i goto play a file without first stopping what was playing jriver freezes up. I am looking for a way to either resovle that or have jriver stop the file if it detects a cut out

tzr916

• MC Beta Team

Specifically what EDID device(s) have you tried? If you go into the Windows Display Settings when the AVR is off, does windows still show it has a device connected?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

You don't mention what NUC you have, but there is a great feature in the NUC12 BIOS - that fixed such issues for me. 

================

I've been having EDID issues on this NUC (connected as a device via an AVR to the TV) where MC will be minimised, or the display resolution is wrong after some time of the AVR being on another source or after the AVR/TV being powered on/off.  I see there is a BIOS setting documented in an Intel Support Note that this NUC supports "Display Emulation" including "Persistent display emulation" that:

The system is trained with the EDID1 (Extended Display Identification Data) information provided by each display connected upon first starting with this option selected. It then retains these parameters regardless of display power or connectivity interruptions. The EDID information from each display will remain programmed through S3, S4, and S5 power states until the feature is disabled.
JRiver CEO Elect

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

There's a similar setting in Win 11.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

There's a similar setting in Win 11.

Do tell!?!?
JRiver CEO Elect

tzr916

• MC Beta Team

Someone else tried the win11 setting, but it didn't work for him... "System > Display > remember window locations based on monitor connection"... Sounds to me like that would not actually keep displays "alive", rather just prevents active windows from moving around when a display is "disconnected".
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,136452.0.html

kritike24

• Junior Woodchuck

You don't mention what NUC you have, but there is a great feature in the NUC12 BIOS - that fixed such issues for me. 

================

I've been having EDID issues on this NUC (connected as a device via an AVR to the TV) where MC will be minimised, or the display resolution is wrong after some time of the AVR being on another source or after the AVR/TV being powered on/off.  I see there is a BIOS setting documented in an Intel Support Note that this NUC supports "Display Emulation" including "Persistent display emulation" that:

Intel Nuc 11 NUC11ATKC4 is the model looking it up now!

kritike24

• Junior Woodchuck

================

so i got a new nuc that has this feature i turned it and same issue... it looks like when i am in main zone it shows 8ch which is correct...if i put zone 2 then it switches to 2 ch which is also correct, but that breaks the whole idea of this.

any idea? do you run yours in in 2 zones?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

Sorry - I only run 1 zone.  It was worth a try.  The idea of this setting is to stop the issue of devices "disappearing" when things get turned off, rather than devices advertising new EDIDs. 
JRiver CEO Elect

kritike24

• Junior Woodchuck

no worries i got a good deal on the nuc so for the price it was worth trying out. tbh it looks like even with the main zone, it refreshes almost, like i am on vnc i shut the main zone off and when i turn main zone on it almost looks like on vnc it refreshes. appreciate the help tho!
Pages: [1]   Go Up