INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bought New PC and Would Like to Upgrade on New PC  (Read 396 times)

thebame

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Bought New PC and Would Like to Upgrade on New PC
« on: August 05, 2023, 08:38:53 pm »

I've been limping along on an old Windows 7 laptop.  Yeah, I already know what you are going to say.  I should have upgraded a long time ago.  There are security issues.  I'm being foolish.  Well, I hear ya.  I just bought a new PC which will be running Windows 11.  On my old laptop I have JRiver Media Center v27.  I'll be purchasing the latest version (31).  Could someone point me in the right direction for the best way to go about this.

Step one, I figure I should ensure I have a current Library backup (https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Backup).  I can put the backup on my NAS.
Step two, get my new PC up and running.
Step three, upgrade from JRiver Media Center v27 to v31.  Do I need to do this on my old laptop or can I pull this off on my new PC?
Step four, install Media Center v31 on my new PC.
Step five, import my Library backup.
Done? - My video, audio, and image files reside on my NAS.

I know the information may already be out there.  My apologies if I'm making you guys repeat yourselves.  Many thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Bought New PC and Would Like to Upgrade on New PC
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2023, 02:12:30 am »

There's a topic called Moving Files on the wiki.

You can install MC31 on your new machine and restore your MC31 license there.  Then restore your MC27 backup.

Preserving your drive letters and directory structure will help.

If you put both machines on your network, you can copy and paste entire directories.  If your files are on the NAS, then that might not be needed.

Here's how to purchase an upgrade license:  https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,135680.0.html

lepa

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2023, 04:57:19 am »

As your library media files are in NAS your plan looks solid if you map the NAS drive the same way in the new PC as with was with old one. Before nukeing anything from old laptop ensure that all your settings was imported with the library restore

thebame

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2023, 12:53:09 pm »

JimH and lepa, thank you for your time and sharing the information.  I greatly appreciate it.  I'll share my progress as I hope to get to this on Tuesday this week. 

David M.

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2023, 02:51:16 am »

Good Morning,
I reported my findings to Bitdefender.  I had to send them logs created by a download from Bitdefender.  I have yet to receive a reply, but today, when i started to use JRiver I am no longer getting the nag screens blocking my clear use of the program.

I note the comments from other users regarding Windows Defender.  Through no fault of my own, (no dodgy downloads) my computer became seriously infected, when using Defender about three years or so ago.  I had to use the experts at the computer supplier to sort the matter out.  The only way out was to wipe the computer and start again!

In the end, I invested in a new computer and on the advice of the makers of the computer I went third party security.  They advised that two were head and shoulders above the rest; Bitdefender and Eset.  I chose Bitdefender and this is the first time I've had a problem and I've never had a problem with JRiver downloads.

I paid for Bitdefender and that contracted time runs out over the next few months when I will consider future antivirus protection.

I thank everyone for their comments and I will consider my options at the apprpriate time.  I won't give up on JRiver though.  There's nothing close!
Pages: [1]   Go Up