INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dragging and changing track order  (Read 589 times)

Trdat

• Recent member
Dragging and changing track order
« on: March 14, 2024, 06:59:47 am »

Hello, I just realised changing track order in a playlist was as simple as drag and drop however upon entering JRiver after closing it the night before the order had gone back to the original. How do set the order for it not to revert back to what it was?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Draging and changing track order
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2024, 09:56:23 am »

Edit the actual playlist, not just Playing Now.  Or save the playlist again.

marko

• MC Beta Team
Re: Dragging and changing track order
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2024, 01:34:37 pm »

and... when you're done dragging and dropping, remember to click that "Update Order" button else you'll lose your changes :)

Trdat

• Recent member
Re: Draging and changing track order
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2024, 02:15:25 am »

Edit the actual playlist, not just Playing Now.  Or save the playlist again.

Well, in the playlist the drag and drop doesnt work. It does only in the playing now....

And how do I save playlist i cant see it in the right click drop down menu?

Trdat

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2024, 02:16:00 am »

and... when you're done dragging and dropping, remember to click that "Update Order" button else you'll lose your changes :)

I cant seem to find the update order? Where can I find it?

Regards

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2024, 03:01:53 am »

It sounds as though you're trying to edit the order of a smartlist rather than a playlist. These are two very different things...

A Playlist is a manual list of things. You create the list and add things to it. You can then move the things up or down and 'update order' to save the changes. See the buttons across the top of the list...

A smartlist is basically a saved search. You set the rules where matching files are returned, and you can also, optionally, set sorting rules too. If you don't, the default sort rules are applied. As the list is generated from the search rules, moving items up or down is not possible because the list is dynamic, changing dependant upon which files match the search at that time. As such, you get a different set of buttons at the top.

If you like to preserve the set of files returned from a smartlist in a playlist, press F8 to create a new playlist, and name it. Note that it opens in the bottom left corner of the program. Select the files you want from the smartlist and drag them to that currently empty list in the bottom left corner and drop them there. Now select that list in the tree and you will find that you can now order them as you wish, and the 'update order' button is there for you to save those changes.

Hopefully that helps a tad... :)

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2024, 03:38:55 am »

Thinking about this further...

Firstly, remember that the playing now list and the originating smart/playlist are not linked. Changes in playing now will never be reflected in the originating list.

So, working in playing now only...
The left-most column is the sequence column.
If you drag and drop within the list, note that the sequence also updates so, nothing else is needed. That will be the order of play once you drop.

Now, click on one of the column headers, say, "Name" for example, to sort by that column. Note that the sequence column is now jumbled. The files will still play in the order they were in before you sorted, as per their sequence number. Right click on "Player" and there, you will see the "Update Order" option. Click that and you will see the sequence column update to reflect the current order.

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2024, 11:18:42 am »

So, working in playing now only...
The left-most column is the sequence column.
If you drag and drop within the list, note that the sequence also updates so, nothing else is needed. That will be the order of play once you drop.
Small Note:  If the Sequence Column does not show up, RMB click on any Playing Now (PN) column header, scroll down and select "Seq".  The Sequence Column now appears as first column to the left of the header you clicked on, and it can be LMB dragged across PN like any other column.  The most common and "default" location is first column on the left.

To hide it, deselect "Seq" in RMB header menu.

Same holds for a Playlist.

Trdat

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2024, 03:30:04 am »

It sounds as though you're trying to edit the order of a smartlist rather than a playlist. These are two very different things...

Great, thanks so much. This helped, but I will read the rest to see what else i can learn about the other lists.
Pages: [1]   Go Up