INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Customize left toolbar, duplicate "Player" widget  (Read 346 times)

MaxA

• Junior Woodchuck
Customize left toolbar, duplicate "Player" widget
« on: March 17, 2024, 06:42:44 am »

I listen to music, radio, podcasts. I'm forced to append them to the main list or overwrite it to get the list to play, that's not too comfortable. Can I clone the "Player"? See the image

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Hoisted by his own petard - Lock him up!
Re: Customize left toolbar, duplicate "Player" widget
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2024, 10:54:41 am »

You created (appended) the Radio and Podcasts underneath the Playing Now tree node using zones, correct?  Zones actually are "clones" (in a way) of Player.

Having independent zones dedicated for different source material is one of MC's greatest features. The part you may have missed is applying zone switch rules. When done correctly, each zone can maintain a playlist that won't get overwritten when you choose a different source. Instead, switch rules will automatically move a specified source to the desired zone. Take a look here: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=76605.0

That said, it may take a fair bit of experimenting to get everything working as desired (at least it certainly did for me), especially if you create 3 or more zones.  Zone switch rule order is vital, and that is what I struggled to get right with when I initially set up my five zones.  But once it is all set... Utopia.

MaxA

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2024, 01:08:33 pm »

No, that's the mockup of what I want, looks like too good photoshop happened ), but no idea how to implement this

MaxA

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2024, 01:18:22 pm »

I understood, I created the zone, working well, but how to copy the player options setup to the new "Radio" or just clone "Player"?

That's the real screenshot now

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2024, 02:44:04 pm »

FYI… Player is a zone - It is MC's default zone. You can rename it if you wish (right-click, and choose rename from the context menu). So from your screenshot, you now have 3 zones: Player; Radio; APlayer Media Renderer

Right-click on any of them, and at the bottom of the context menu you will see Zone Switch… which opens the Zone Switch dialog box.  From there, you add/name your zone rules and apply various filters (like when using search wizard) to create the switch rules. I personally name the rules exactly the same as the zone, but you do not have to if you find it beneficial to give it a different name.

This is where the switch rule order matters a great deal (read the note at the bottom of the Zone Switch dialog), and experimentation to achieve the desired results begins. Adjust the rule filters and use the Move Up/Down buttons to reorder them as needed.

I highly recommend thoroughly reading the post I previously linked to in my initial post.

MaxA

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2024, 04:23:48 pm »

I found exactly what I need in more simple way: I can copy options at the point of zone creation

MaxA

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2024, 04:33:08 pm »

Can I stop playing in other zones if I play in this? I  tried to search forum but too many not related info. Just want to stop other zones. I turned off zone switch

Such experiments didn't bring any success

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2024, 05:01:37 pm »

The wiki is the best source of information on zones.

You might be able to use the Divert feature to change playback to a different zone.

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2024, 06:20:28 pm »

The wiki is the best source of information on zones.
Actually, the wiki is pretty bare regarding zones. The link I posted is directly from the Zones wiki page, where it points users to the same thread I did for more information.

You might be able to use the Divert feature to change playback to a different zone.
That is true - if you want to move whatever you're playing from one zone to another you can use Divert To/Here (via tab menu or right-click menu).

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2024, 06:38:53 pm »

I found exactly what I need in more simple way: I can copy options at the point of zone creatio,
What you found is a way to set up a new rule using an existing one so you don't have to begin from scratch. If you don't create specific rules for specific zones, then zone switch is of no use.  Will it automatically stop playback in other zones? Yes and no. It doesn't stop playback for radio stations, or if it does, I've never figured out how to make it happen. It does work well for stopping playback for non-Internet zones.

To be clear, if zone switch rules are not used the active zone will be overwritten every time you launch something new (e.g., a radio station, cloud play, movie, etc.), which for me personally is the primary utility of zone switch (to prevent wiping out a playlist in a given zone).  In the attached picture, the audio/images/video are always directed to the corresponding labeled zone. For example, JRiver's CloudPlay is always directed automatically to my JR cloud zone, thereby it never wipes out my local music playlist under headphones (which I designate via a headphone character), or whatever I may have queued up in Movies/TV Shows zone.

You can also use zone switch to direct audio through specific components for specific purposes. For example, music would maybe go to a 2.1 speaker set up, while movies could be sent through an audio chain that drives a 7.1 set up.

Note that while zone switch automatically starts playback in a specific zone for correctly applied rules, Divert To/Here will override the rules and play to whatever zone you manually designate.

MaxA

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2024, 06:53:35 pm »

That's not what I tried to find. I tried to use divert and played a little with this feature, that's just linking one zone to another with the replacement of the list.
Everything is too simple: I want to have 3 lists and stop to play actual if I start to play another one like stop to play others checkbox

Looks like it's more simple to stop it manually, not too great problem, just the small benefit
Pages: [1]   Go Up