INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Metadata  (Read 244 times)

Michael S.

• Recent member
Metadata
« on: May 26, 2024, 02:46:13 pm »

I've spent close to a month and a lot more hours that I hoped to changing and improving Metadata tags for my CD files, renaming composers, artists (which I define as performers), album names, genres, and standardizing language and naming conventions used in my classical library so that everything is comparable.  I notice that Metadata usually comes up short and there seems to be no consistency with naming conventions and how tags are used.

There is probably no answer to this but just wondering why there can't be common conventions for Metadata that would help reduce the need for this?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Metadata
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2024, 02:49:48 pm »

There's no general agreement on how to tag music, especially classical music.

When you look up a CD, there are often several choices.

eve

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Metadata
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2024, 02:37:07 pm »

I've spent close to a month and a lot more hours that I hoped to changing and improving Metadata tags for my CD files, renaming composers, artists (which I define as performers), album names, genres, and standardizing language and naming conventions used in my classical library so that everything is comparable.  I notice that Metadata usually comes up short and there seems to be no consistency with naming conventions and how tags are used.

There is probably no answer to this but just wondering why there can't be common conventions for Metadata that would help reduce the need for this?

This is an age old question without a solid answer to be perfectly honest. One of the places I started when I really started thinking about this seriously was by looking at the DDEX standards and how they've laid stuff out.

I mean, if we want to get really into the weeds, even something as simple as the catch all term "Album" is semantically, f*cking useless. Why we're still using it, I have no clue.
Pages: [1]   Go Up