INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: More Info about ALBUM ARTIST Please!  (Read 8010 times)

Robert Taylor

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living in a Smokeless Zone...
More Info about ALBUM ARTIST Please!
« on: January 19, 2003, 04:35:24 pm »

Hi Y'all

So I gather in version 9 the ALBUM ARTISTS field is not supported any more?

So now when I rip my compilation albums, I get a new folder for every single artist who is on the album ?

Who thought of this great idea? And what was the reasoning behind it?

I used to have a folder called "Various Artists" with each Compilation album being a folder under this, with all the songs under that folder.

I'm gonna end up with heaps of folders with one song in 'em.

What really peeves me is that I DON"T SEEM TO BE ABLE TO CHANGE THIS BEHAVIOUR.

Can anyone enlighten me a bit more on this subject, please?

Media Jukebox PLUS 9.0.97 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 1399 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 277 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive F:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive G:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive G: HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8400B    Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:40  MaxSpeed:40  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None
Cheers
Rob

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
Re: More Info about ALBUM ARTIST Please!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2003, 04:42:33 pm »

You Do know you can Add An Album Artist Field Don't You?

the option is under Settings

there are somethings you can't do yet, and maybe this will come soon, but you can add it and store your info in there.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Polonio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2003, 04:51:16 pm »

You Do know you can Add An Album Artist Field Don't You?

But I thoght the great thing about automatic "album artist" info was to liberate the user to input that information.

However, it seems now you can not organize your media like [ALBUM ARTIST] - [ALBUM]/[TITLE].mp3 without manually enter this field.

I don't see your point, sorry. I may be missing something, so any further info would be greatly welcomed.

Regards,

Polonio

Robert Taylor

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2003, 04:59:40 pm »

Spart,

I'm in the dark here...

There is already an "Album Artist" field shown under a track's properties.

So are you saying my solution is to add ANOTHER "Album Artist" field, and then use that?

Sounds a bit wierd to me...
Cheers
Rob

rocketsauce

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2003, 09:06:25 pm »

Sounds a bit wierd to me, too.

I've  been playing around with it and I don't really get how it's supposed to be making my life easier or my music files more organized.   ?

Rob

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2003, 01:40:44 am »

All I Am Saying Is "Album Artist" Field Is Not Standard in MC, If You Had "Album Artist" In the Database\Files When You Upgraded To MC, It Was Added Automaticly.

But It Is Not Directly Suported It Seems

Personaly I Don't see what the big deal is. The Artist For All My Songs Are In "Artist"
Fayetteville, NC, USA

V-Man

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2003, 03:57:39 am »

All I Am Saying Is "Album Artist" Field Is Not Standard in MC, If You Had "Album Artist" In the Database\Files When You Upgraded To MC, It Was Added Automaticly.

But It Is Not Directly Suported It Seems

Personaly I Don't see what the big deal is. The Artist For All My Songs Are In "Artist"

Hmm, you don't quite seem to be getting the point of what is being asked, Sparta!

You gave me a similar response in my thread, about there not being any concept of an Album Artist in MC9 - BUT THERE IS! It's just that in MJ8 it was a field just like any other, and in MC9 it's an auto-calculated property of a file that equates to:

"(multiple artists)" if any other file in the same folder with the same Album property has a differing Artist.

or:

A value equal to that of the Artist property if the above condition does not apply.

It's a feature that works quite nicely and is available already for View Schemes, Smartlists and searches, but for seemingly no particular reason is not available in the Rename From Properties function. I'm hoping this is merely a "Not yet implemented" rather than a "Can/Will not implement". It's obviously not just me who wants it.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2003, 09:23:21 am »

>> Hmm, you don't quite seem to be getting the point >> of what is being asked
Your Prob Right

I still don't see a point with all this album artist stuff you and others talk about all the time.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Polonio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2003, 10:37:07 am »

I still don't see a point with all this album artist stuff you and others talk about all the time.

I don'see how you don't see it.  ::)

What you mean when you say that <<The Artist For All My Songs Are In "Artist" >>? Do you mean that you type "Various artists" in the "Artists" tag, if it is necessary?

"Artists" and "Album Artists" are two very different concepts, and so have to ve treated. Imagine you have a disc called "The best of 2002", and it is a compilation of multiple artists songs. How do you store it in your HD? Don't you create a folder to put it in?

What we are trying to do is to organize data in this VERY VERY VERY normal way:

[ALBUM ARTISTS]/[ALBUM]/[TITLE].mp3

However, if you let MJ do that, it will mess your files all around multiple folders, very of them with just one or two songs. Same things occurs if you rip a CD.

I don't understand how you guys organize your media.

Hope you see our point. I really belive we are not asking for any weird feature.

Polonio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2003, 10:57:04 am »

about there not being any concept of an Album Artist in MC9 - BUT THERE IS! It's just that in MJ8 it was a field just like any other, and in MC9 it's an auto-calculated

Actually, I think this is not completely right. I think "Album Artist" was not like any other field. I remember having trouble with it. For instace, it was not available in the MJ8 SDK. I think it was not exported eighter.

I don't know why, but I think there is something weird in the "Artist Album" implementation. I dont want to be rude, not to explain JRiver how to do their job, not to teach them anything.

But I can't understand this pointless limitations, and I can't understand why this petition has been repeatly ignored one time after another. And I don't understand other missing, and quite basic, features. For instance,  why there is not a view like "Album/Total time/Nb tracks"?. This is a view every major jukebox has, and it is very useful (please, don't talk me about the statistics view, that's seems a joke, and does not even allow you to sort by a column, or to modify a tag...).  

Sorry if I seem rude. But consider that if I'am typing here it is due I think MC9 as a great product.

Polonio

phelt

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2003, 12:06:09 pm »

Ah, the Album Artist debate... my favorite  :P

For background: MJ8 has a predefined tag name "Album Artist". You do not have to create it, and you can put whatever text you want in it. This allows you to give a name to albums with multiple or various artists, like Classical moods, New Age samplers, mixed Dance albums, etc.

AFAICT, MC9 attempts to sort these things automatically (Various Artists, etc). For some folks this is fine. For others it's a problem - I don't want my files arranged that way, but the way it worked in MJ8.

A partial solution was implemented by Matt and the JRiver guys: if you're installing MC9, and importing from MJ8, and there are filled Album Artist tags, they get migrated to the new database. But if you want to use Album Artist as part of a view scheme you have to manually enter Album Artist for all tracks that do not currently contain them.

There doesn't seem to be the facility or a plugin to copy a tag field (Artist) to another tag field (Album Artist) in MJ8 or MC9. That would potentially speed up the process for those inclined to keep using Album Artist for their views. Also, I dont' know what happens to the custom Album Artist data once it's converted into MC9 - is it deleted or just inaccessible?

I know I've repeated a lot of what has been said in this thread - it's mainly in the hope that someone with suggestions or corrections will have a single source to edit and discredit or suggest ;D

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2003, 01:17:48 pm »

Well I Use Artist Field, I Don't See A Need For Album Artist.

Who Sang The Song?

Thats In The Artist Tag.

Why would there be a need for another tag.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2003, 01:25:47 pm »

There doesn't seem to be the facility or a plugin to copy a tag field (Artist) to another tag field (Album Artist) in MJ8 or MC9.

there would be if and when they release an SDK for MC9 that will allow a plugin to do this.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

phelt

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2003, 03:39:28 pm »

Why would there be a need for another tag.

It depends on one's preferences. I have many albums that I use Album Artist for. Some are DJ-mixed compilations made up of songs from different artists - they are deliberately mixed into one album 'experience'. In that case I like to retain the Artist who performed each song, but to put the DJ into Album Artist as the mix is 'their' work and I like to keep their work together in my view scheme. Same scenario, sometimes I put the record label or the series name into Album Artist.

Some of my albums are tributes - different performers playing  different songs, all originally recorded by The Cocteau Twins, for example. The Cocteau Twins are not the artists, but I might like to group that album with The Cocteau Twins in my view scheme, so they go into the Album Artist field. Or perhaps the name of the album goes into the Album Artist field.

There are other examples, such as classical samplers with works from multiple composers. So that's how I use Album Artist. Your mileage may vary  :)

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2003, 03:58:17 pm »

phelt

Now that makes sence to me.

It would be something I would never use however.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Robert Taylor

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2003, 04:23:50 pm »

The usefulness of this feature depends on whether you prefer to see your collection as Album-centric or Artist-centric I guess.

It just seems to be a shame that the feature fell by the wayside, and the functionality which is now included is nowehere near as useful.

Cheers
Rob

MachineHead

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2003, 08:53:14 am »

I used to have a folder called "Various Artists" with each Compilation album being a folder under this, with all the songs under that folder.

Oh yeah, I'm starting to really dislike this. zevele sent me a cd with 14 different bands on it. Trying to rename the artists on this from properties is like wrestling with a nest of angry hornets. If I do the rename from properties with directories checked I get fourteen folders with one track. Not happening. Another album that I know will give me as much grief is Nativity In Black II. Especially if I try and enter the aritsts' names anywhere in the tags.

One funny thing I noticed with the cd zev sent, it always renames the first track because of a "/" in the track name. Example: Caterpillar / Ghost Nation. Basically it's two tracks that are mixed as one. So I end up with Caterpillar as the artist. No. It should be 'Lehavoth' as the artist. But, I can't even get MC to obey for that one. Or any of them for that matter.

Also tried renaming the tags outside of MC with  two different tagging utilites. No luck. MJ8 didn't seem to mind doing what I wanted. MC is another story altogether. You cannot get rid of (Multiple Artists) without a major rethink on a view scheme that works for all the files. Right now it doesn't. This should be changed. MJ-MC are supposed to do any kind of scheme I want. MC is having a hard time letting me do what I want. Power struggle with program...sheeeesh.  :-/

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2003, 09:01:16 am »

>> Caterpillar / Ghost Nation
this would not be a valid file name

"/" is not legal

how ever MC should have converted the "/" to "_"
Fayetteville, NC, USA

MachineHead

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2003, 09:20:11 am »

After looking at this. The actual files can't be changed because of conventions in naming and heirarchy. Correct?

But, MCs database can save this internally, even if it isn't exactly the way we would like for folder arrangement. So changes can be made, just not with files themselves. I guess I can give a little as long as the view inside of MC-MJ is correct. I think...

So confused... :o

zevele10

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2003, 09:59:46 am »

I just riped around 20 'various artists' and had a look.
I REALLY DO NOT LIKE THIS MESS!!!!!!
And YES i would like the  Album Artists back

mcphzgig

• Recent member
  • From the Land Down Under
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2003, 10:29:45 am »

If I can weigh in briefly, I much prefer the MC8 Album Artist paradigm and have been trying to get over it ever since it was replaced by Album Artist (Auto).

But then maybe that is because my view is generally 'album centric' rather than  'artist centric'
Media Center - Whatta concept! Wow!

fex

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2003, 02:00:06 pm »

I just riped around 20 'various artists' and had a look.
I REALLY DO NOT LIKE THIS MESS!!!!!!
And YES i would like the  Album Artists back

I absolutely agree. Only with "Album Artist" you can organize "Various Artists" in a logical way without hundreds of folders with just one or two song. And I like to listen my (over years wellknown) compilations as an album (without creating a playlist for each). I understand if the one or other don't need it this way, but why to cancel it for this reason? Pleas add it, would be just perfect.

Fex

zevele10

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2003, 03:19:43 pm »

I must have around 100+ various artists cds  of psy garage ,so you can imagine if ,as i want ,i rip them...

rocketsauce

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2003, 03:45:20 pm »

All you have to do to prevent this from happening is just change the naming from (for example) Artist - Album - Track - Name to Album - Track - Artist - Name.  You can type in any naming scheme you want, you don't have to only use the options already in the list.   It would be nice if MJ/MC had separate scheme for artist/various artist, like EAC, though.

Rob

graham131

• Galactic Citizen
  • Yadb (get it?) dabba do.....
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2003, 09:06:40 am »

If I can weigh in briefly, I much prefer the MC8 Album Artist paradigm and have been trying to get over it ever since it was replaced by Album Artist (Auto).

But then maybe that is because my view is generally 'album centric' rather than  'artist centric'

I agree, please can you register my vote to have this "feature" returned.

J River is this something that is going to be available?

Can we have a "straw poll" with everyone to see if it is something a lot of people would like returned.

Thanks

Graham

Polonio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2003, 09:45:54 am »

I much prefer the MC8 Album Artist paradigm and have been trying to get over it ever since it was replaced by Album Artist (Auto).

I agree, please can you register my vote to have this "feature" returned.

So do I. Anything better than the actual messy mix.

MJ8 assumes the "Artist" value to the "Album Artist" tag if nothing is manually asigned into it. MC9 ignores "Album artist" and uses "Album Artist (auto)",  but it is used just for a very few features. I wonder if 3rd solution is possible:

- If something is manually typed into "Album Artist", that value should be the one MC9 use (for instance, "Compilation", "Soundtrack". "Varios Artistas")

- If nothing is manually typed into the "Album Artist" tag, "Album Artist (auto)" should be assumed. So "Multiple artist" would be returned using the very same algorithm which is now implemented.

Obviously, full functionality should be available for the "Album Artist" tag. I mean: "Artist Album" should be just like any other "standart" tag, so renaming, riping, exporting, accesing it from then DOM model, sorting, creating playlists, scheming, etc. should be available.

If this approach is not clear, or I did not express it clearly, please, ignore my comment and return to MJ8 paradigm or, at least, provide MC9 with extra "Album Artist" functionality.

J River is this something that is going to be available?

Many people is asking that, I don't understand why they don't want to answer. Now, a "Yes" or a "No" would be fine, but I thing we deserve an answer.

¡¡ More Info about ALBUM ARTIST Please!!

V-Man

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2003, 10:30:58 am »

OK, we've probably done this to death now, but anyways. I've never really used MJ8 in anger, so can't comment much on the Album Artist implementation therein. I've only been using MJ9/MC9 for the past couple of months. FWIW I actually DO like the MC9 Album Artist (Auto) field, and I think I understand it and don't think it's pointless or mysterious. All I think it needs is for that property to be useable from the Rename function. That would solve the many folders with few files problem.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2003, 10:36:47 am »

>> OK, we've probably done this to death now
Yes
Fayetteville, NC, USA

graham131

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2003, 12:04:54 pm »

>> OK, we've probably done this to death now
Yes

Only in your opinion King.  

Just coz you dont use it does not mean that it was a well liked and very valuable feature for many many others.

Come on Jim pls give us and answer.

Cheers

Graham

Polonio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2003, 12:52:58 pm »

All I think it needs is for that property to be useable from the Rename function. That would solve the many folders with few files problem.

I agree with you. But what is unbeliveble to me is that nobody from JRiver recognise a problem on that. Everything is fine to them. At most, a point of view question, where each one can have his own criteria.

That's why I was asking if they really use MC9...

But it's ok to me. I don't want to bother anymore.

Have fun!

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2003, 01:17:50 pm »

>> Only in your opinion King.
not just mine

maybe they should put it back in just so everyone aint talking about how they miss it.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

rocketsauce

« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2003, 03:20:16 pm »

But what is unbeliveble to me is that nobody from JRiver recognise a problem on that. Everything is fine to them.

Maybe they haven't commented because, for the moment, they are concentrating their time on other issues/features of MC (like bug fixing or restoring MPC functionality, hopefully) that they consider to be of a higher priority.  :)

Rob

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2003, 03:23:10 pm »

maybe they are bored
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2003, 03:51:29 pm »

Rob's right.  We're busy.

And I did comment a few days ago, saying if there is any agreement on what should be done, we'll probably do it.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2003, 03:59:21 pm »

There you go

Glad i could be of some help
Fayetteville, NC, USA

zevele10

« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2003, 04:16:35 pm »

First KingSparts is not part of JRiver staff . Just a pillar of our soul here.
Second ,YOU CANNOT SAY THAT JRiver STAFF DOES NOT LISTEN TO US.
Yes .as many i would like the  Album Artist  back
As much people as us may think no need for it.
Just let ask JRiver about it .
For MJ 8 ,i asked "last  imported "- who was in MJ7 - to be back.
Many people said that they would like it back .
We got this back.
So just give them some time .and post about it.

Markeau

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2003, 06:44:19 am »

I have been using Album Artist since MJ8 and hope it will continue to be fully supported.

phelt

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2003, 09:10:02 am »

If there were a utility within MC that would allow one to mass-set a custom field, using another tag as input, that would solve my issues with regard to Album Artist.

I would be able to take all files that do not currently have Album Artist tags and copy their Artist or Album data into them. And new rips could quickly be modified to fit my view scheme.

Some cleanup utility for old Album Artist data would also be welcome. I thought that one of the reasons for moving away from Album Artist was to discontinue using non-standard tagging practices, partially for the sake of MP3 portable compatibility. But if the data is left in the files, it only helps new rips.

rocketsauce

« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2003, 11:40:37 am »

All I think it needs is for that property to be useable from the Rename function. That would solve the many folders with few files problem.

Maybe this is a temporary solution to this part of the problem. I found out by accident, maybe some of you already know this, that you aren't limited to just the predefined field names (like [ALBUM], etc) when ripping or renaming. You can put in the actual text that you want use, without the [ ].

For mix CDs, I generally name the files Album - Track# - Artist - Name.  On my hardrive I want all my mix CDs stored as C:\Music\DJ Mixes\Album Artist\Album\Album - Track# - Artist - Name, but the Album Artist field isn't available as a Rename field.  To achieve the desired result, I set the Renaming options as:

Directories
 Base Path:  C:\Music
 Rule:  DJ Mixes\John Digweed\[ALBUM]

Filename
 Rule:  [ALBUM] - [TRACK #] - [ARTIST] - [NAME]

This can be done when ripping new discs or renaming. I know it involves a little extra typing, but if I rip all four of my John Digweed mixes at the same time, I only have to set the scheme up once for that group of discs.

Rob

Listening to: 'Providence' from 'Everything Must Perish (Maxi Single)' by 'Front Line Assembly' on Media Center

mcphzgig

• Recent member
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2003, 04:02:30 pm »

If there were a utility within MC that would allow one to mass-set a custom field, using another tag as input, that would solve my issues with regard to Album Artist.

I would be able to take all files that do not currently have Album Artist tags and copy their Artist or Album data into them.

This can be done in MC9 with a little ingenuity.

If your library is set up in Artist\Album directories, simply use the Tool 'Fill Properties from Filename' on one or more tracks and lie to MC that your directory structure is [Album Artist]\[Album], where Album Artist is your new custom field. Bingo, the Artist value will be copied into the Album Artist tag.

I am sure you can use the 'Fill Properties from Filename' and 'Rename Files from Properties' tools in various sequences to solve almost any tag to tag transfers using folder and file names as an intermediate. And then put the filenames back how they were if necessary.

To get to the Tools menu, right-click on one or more tracks in the Content Pane.

Just be aware that your custom tags will all be ID3v2 [COMM] frames (i.e. comments) and not specific ID3v2 frames from the standard.

Not that I advocate dummying the old Album Artist field - actually I would like to have it back as in MC8.

Polonio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2003, 02:36:11 am »

Second ,YOU CANNOT SAY THAT JRiver STAFF DOES NOT LISTEN TO US.

Well, I do not know if they listen to us or not. But I feel they do not inform us conveniently about their plans or thinkings. They get a feedback from betatesters and users. Users and betatester do not.

Another week has past. An we still do not know nothing about future Album Artists support. If you want, you can look interact archive, and you'll realize this question (Album Artist related questions) has been on the board since first releases.

JimH says if there is any agreement on what should be done, they'll probably do it. That will never happen. Each one has his own criteria, an each one makes his own suggestions. JRiver should someday rethink album artist functionality and offer to us the basic functionality actually missing (renaming, and riping multiple artist albums, for instance).

When? How? Better do not ask. We'll see.

Regards,

Polonio  

graham131

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2003, 03:03:06 am »

JimH says if there is any agreement on what should be done, they'll probably do it. That will never happen. Each one has his own criteria, an each one makes his own suggestions. JRiver should someday rethink album artist functionality and offer to us the basic functionality actually missing (renaming, and riping multiple artist albums, for instance).

Jim as a starting point can you not just have the same functionality as was available in MJ8 in relation Album Artist.  I think this would be a start and keep a lot of people happy (and quiet).  It just seems odd that it was removed without warning, surely it must be easy to put it back?

Thanks

Graham

fex

« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2003, 03:04:26 am »

Well, I do not know if they listen to us or not. But I feel they do not inform us conveniently about their plans or thinkings. They get a feedback from betatesters and users. Users and betatester do not.

Another week has past. An we still do not know nothing about future Album Artists support. If you want, you can look interact archive, and you'll realize this question (Album Artist related questions) has been on the board since first releases. ....

Regards,

Polonio  

Well, I think, "they" have a few other thins to do right now. I demand absolutely "album/artists", but I understand, that there is a reason to discuss it ;). But it's not true, that "they do not inform us conveniently about their plan". If you go trough this forum, you will notice this over and over.

Hope, "album/artist" will be integrated :)....

Fex

zevele10

« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2003, 09:01:13 am »

Jim as a starting point can you not just have the same functionality as was available in MJ8 in relation Album Artist.  I think this would be a start and keep a lot of people happy (and quiet).  It just seems odd that it was removed without warning, surely it must be easy to put it back

YES i am with you.
And part of those who would be happy and quiet concerning  this fonction

phelt

« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2003, 12:49:20 pm »

mcphzgig: thanks for the tip. A note: to get this to work I had to put ALBUMARTIST (no spaces) as a field.

zevele: there was actually warning from JRiver about removing v8 Album Artist functionality. A forum search for "Album Artist" should turn up many lengthy threads on the topic, most containing rants and b*tch*ng from me  ;)

JRiver folks: It seems pretty clear to me that there's an interest, on the part of many users, in the return of Album Artist in some incarnation. I understand the points that Matt made (long ago) re. default behavior and elegance of implementation, but I don't think the current MC9 method is enough for many users. I'm sure that one goal of MC development is to expand the audience, but please don't forsake your earlier adopters and their lust for godlike power over organization  ;D

mcphzgig

• Recent member
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2003, 06:28:17 pm »

It's comforting to see from this thread that my desire to have MC8 'Album Artist' back is not just singular insanity - with 45 replies, the level of response makes this one of the verrrry few 'Very Hot Topics' in this part of Interact.

Tis a pity our wish seems about as popular with the Admins as fire ants at a nudists' picnic.  They stayed away in their droves.

Long live MC9, anyway.  ;D

Robert Taylor

« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2003, 10:13:23 pm »

Crikey! I did stir up a bit of a hornet's nest, eh?

I'd better weigh in with my vote to have the same functionality as MJ8 returned if and when possible.

Thanks for all the replies, I feel better that I'm not the only one who misses this stuff.

Cheers
Rob
Cheers
Rob

Wile E. One

• World Citizen
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2003, 10:17:27 pm »

with 45 replies, the level of response makes this one of the verrrry few 'Very Hot Topics' in this part of Interact.

45 replies (oh..wait... 47 now), by what... 13 people.. including myself... and hmm... 11 of those 45 are by KingSparta.

It makes me wonder how much "consensus" there really is on this topic. But then, I am biased because I never used "Album Artist", and don't forsee any reason to in the future.

You may be correct in that MC doesn't handle multiple artist albums very elegantly. But how elegant is having multiple solutions for one problem? Consistency? I don't think so.
Now isn't this just typical of whereever this is?

MachineHead

« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2003, 02:30:31 am »

Right now I'm just using a custom tag for all the artists. Keeps everything in one folder and I can still see who it is if I want to. Still not the handiest, but it works in a pinch.

I never used "Album Artist", and don't forsee any reason to in the future.

To each their own...

11 of those 45 are by KingSparta.

I think he's shooting for 10,000 by years end.  ;D

zevele10

« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2003, 03:47:02 am »

I think he's shooting for 10,000 by years end

Yes ,he can do it ..
And JRiver will put out a Various Artists cd to celebrate ..........

I am still sure than they listen to you/us/me.
Not getting an answer on the spot does not mind much.

Look like they are cooking bigger meat right now...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up