INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: really need help with burning audio cd  (Read 2057 times)

lise

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
really need help with burning audio cd
« on: December 10, 2002, 12:58:20 pm »

I have 7 cds to burn for a Xmas party coming up real soon... Help!

Basically, I can't burn.  I've searched here, and there aren't that many messages about not being able to burn audio cds, so I'm guessing it works for most people.

1. I Select files from a playlist, and click on Burn CD.
2. I've tried:  Internal ASPI Layer (Default) and internal burning engine.
3. I have set my write speed to 2x
4. When I do a test mode only, I get the following after it's gone through the songs:  "Couldn't start DAO Recording Session" in the CD Burning Progress Dialog box.
5.  I have tried with and without "decode files directly to cd" (which does what, exactly?)

In all cases, I have "apply current playback settings to the cd" enabled (I need this feature; assuming this is the one that will record with replay gain, which I have set to automatic).

MC also crashes on me when I click the "start button" (but not when I am in test mode).  Similar error to the one described here, except that his crashes *after* burning, whereas mine won't let me burn at all.
http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=beta;action=display;num=1039548124

If anyone can help, I'd sure appreciate it, as would the 50 odd people expecting me to show up with music for the party!

Microsoft Windows 2000  Workstation 5.0 Service Pack 2 (Build 2195)
Intel Pentium III 996 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 391 MB, Free - 168 MB

Internet Explorer: 5.50.4807.2300 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.50.4807.2300 / Shlwapi.dll: 5.50.4807.2300
Shell32.dll: 5.00.3315.2902wnaspi32.dll: 4.70 , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-2001 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.70

Ripping /   Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:IDE   Read speed:4
 Drive F:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive E: IDE-CD R/RW 8X4X32   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:4  MaxSpeed:8  Lib:3  GHS:1  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: Yes /  Eject after writing: No /  Direct decoding: No /  Two second gap: No /  Write CD-Text: No
 Use playback settings: Yes /  Normalization: None

A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
Re: really need help with burning audio cd
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2002, 01:13:05 pm »

>> I have tried with and without "decode files
>> directly to cd" (which does what, exactly?)
If not mistaken this is for the goldenhawk burner, where it will go from format to directly to CD where before or unchecked it would go from format to wav to CD.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

MachineHead

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2002, 02:10:26 pm »

4. When I do a test mode only, I get the following after it's gone through the songs:  "Couldn't start DAO Recording Session" in the CD Burning Progress Dialog box.
5.  I have tried with and without "decode files directly to cd" (which does what, exactly?)

In all cases, I have "apply current playback settings to the cd" enabled (I need this feature; assuming this is the one that will record with replay gain, which I have set to automatic).

MC also crashes on me when I click the "start button" (but not when I am in test mode).  Similar error to the one described here, except that his crashes *after* burning, whereas mine won't let me burn at all.
http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=beta;action=display;num=1039548124

4) During a 'test only' you probably wouldn't be able to burn. It's only checking at this time if a burn is possible.

5) This, I think, takes a formated file (mp3-ape-etc.) and decodes directly to a wav file during an audio burn.

The current playback settings are for an 'audio' type of burn as well. I have a feeling this just replaces disk writer. And if that is the case, it would only be for wav files.

Have you tried unchecking the Internal Burning Engine and using an ASPI layer that is not included with MC?

Another possible work around would be to convert format to wav without deleting the originals. Assuming they are mp3, ape, etc. Sending them to a playlist and trying to burn them. Risk: another coaster.

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2002, 05:42:15 pm »

Thanks King, and MachineHead.

Have you tried unchecking the Internal Burning Engine and using an ASPI layer that is not included with MC?

I didn't think I had to go that route with Win2K.  I thought by checking MC's "Aspi" option, that would do the trick.  I'll try as you suggest.

Another possible work around would be to convert format to wav without deleting the originals. Assuming they are mp3, ape, etc. Sending them to a playlist and trying to burn them. Risk: another coaster.

Yes, I could do this.  But from what I understand, I couldn't use replay gain or crossfading, either when converting to wav from my mp3 playlists, or when burning the wavs to audio cd.  Am I right?  
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2002, 03:43:45 am »

>> I couldn't use replay gain or crossfading, either
>> when converting to wav from my mp3 playlists, or
>> when burning the wavs to audio cd.  Am I right?
i think this changed in MC9 where you can write with realplay gain. i don't have MC with me right now but it think it can be done.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2002, 04:07:53 am »

King,

Yes, MC9 will burn with playback settings (Xfade, gain); and i've checked that setting.  

I thought
  • it only worked when burning (rather than converting) a playlist; and
  • it couldn't work with wavs (rather than mp3s or some other file types).

I hope I'm wrong on both counts.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2002, 04:29:58 am »

From what I've read, MC currently will only burn with playback settings (crossfade, gapless) and doesn't handle DSP settings (replay gain) yet.

But if it could do replay gain, I don't see why it wouldn't work with wav's. According to JohnT, when it DOES handle replay gain, it's going to have to create an intermediate wave file anyway, so that seems to suggest it will handle wav.

But in any case, it doesn't handle replay gain yet. Unless they slipped that in and didn't tell us. Because I burned an audio cd with that checked and it was NOT replay gained, and when I asked about it, that's what I was told. It's coming, but it's not here yet.

Here are the posts:

Doof
I actually have a question. Is the option to use Playback Settings supposed to include DSP settings? Because it doesn't seem to be honoring the Replay Gain setting when I burn CD's, and the volume per track winds up all over the place.

JohnT
Currently, the "use playback settings" option does just that, it uses the crossfade settings but not DSP (and not replay gain). I will be adding a mode to accomodate the DSP's, but in some cases it will necessitate creating an intermediate wave file before writing the CD. This is because the burner needs to know track lengths before beginning the burn and some DSP settings change track lengths on the fly.

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2002, 05:06:32 am »

Doof,

Oh my... that's really too bad for me.  I was relying on replay gain with these 7 playlists I have.  I guess I'll go back and redo some of them to elimiate 'louder' songs.

I'm just got the latest aspi driver, and will be installing them shortly.  I hope that gets v9 working with my burner.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2002, 06:00:23 am »

Well what is "Apply Current Playback Settings To CD" Do?

Does that not Include Realplay Gain?
Fayetteville, NC, USA

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2002, 06:14:42 am »

King, my understanding of Doof's post is that that feature should include replay gain, but doesn't yet.

I've installed the newest aspi.  MJ creates the wave files, but when it comes to write, I still get "Couldn't start DAO recording session".

I have no clue what that means.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2002, 06:26:06 am »

Apply Current Playback Settings To CD currently will apply playback settings like crossfade and gapless playback.

Eventually it will also use Replay Gain.

Lise> If you do get CD burning working at all, you can always use Diskwriter to get the replay gain stuff done. It's not as elegant  a solution, but it should work.

Just change your output to Diskwriter, play the playlist you want with the settings you want, then burn the resulting wave files to your CD.

JohnT

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2002, 08:23:10 am »

Lise-
It looks like you have a Phillips burner which our internal burning engine seems to have problems with (I've had one other report with an IDE-CD R/RW 12X8X32). I need to get hold of one of these to fix it. In the meantime, you're best off disabling "use internal burning engine" and disabling "use internal aspi". Then install Adaptec's aspi 4.72 (let me know if you need a link).
It's true that replay gain isn't implemented yet (just crossfading, gapless playback). For now, do as Doof suggested and use the Diskwriter output to create wave files which you can then burn to disk.
Sorry for the hassle, hopefully we'll soon have these issues ironed out.

- John T.

UPDATE: I found your drive and have ordered it. Hopefully we can get our internal burning engine working with it (and other older Philips drives) shortly.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2002, 08:35:08 am »

Doof: Thanks for the tip.  I'll try it soon and see what happens.

JohnT:  Thanks for the info.  It's good to know that it's my burner, and not any of the settings I've been noodling with.

BTW, I just got a new aspi at http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/drivers_by_product.html?cat=%2fProduct%2fASPI-4.70&prodkey=ASPI-4.70#Microsoft%20Windows%202000 and it's v. 4.71.2   If it's not too much hassle, can you give me the link to 4.72?

JohnT

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2002, 09:00:34 am »

Sorry, that was a typo. The latest version is 4.71.2

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2002, 10:57:24 am »

Here's the latest, just incase someone is interested...

I played the playlist using Smooth Crossfade and replay gain (fixed: +6).  Output was set to Diskwriter (where I also unchecked "make several files" or whatever the option is; ie I made on long wave file, thinking this was the only way to get crossfade).

It worked.  I was able to copy that wav file onto a disc using Easy CD Creator 4.

However, there was no crossfading, and definitely no replay gain (one of my songs was WAY loud).

So... I followed JohnT's adivice, and unchecked both "use generic drive" and "aspi", and was able to burn.  This too, however, did not allow for any of the playback settings.

I guess my remaining option now is to forget about playback settings, and just record using normalize first.

If anyone else has suggestions, let me know asap.  I have to have these 7 cds done by tomorrow evening, and I still haven't even created 2 of the playlists yet!

Ah... the joys of company Christmas parties.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2002, 11:04:44 am »

Xstatic

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2002, 12:11:44 pm »

Ah... the joys of company Christmas parties.

my words exactly

Knowing my own persistance, and having a good feeling of your persistance, I am confident we will both get it done - somehow ;-)

Jesper.

MachineHead

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2002, 02:07:01 pm »

If anyone else has suggestions, let me know asap.  I have to have these 7 cds done by tomorrow evening, and I still haven't even created 2 of the playlists yet!

Just read the last few posts. You could switch back to v8 and use diskwriter with that.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2002, 02:14:49 pm »

Good idea.

JohnT

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2002, 05:25:02 am »

I played the playlist using Smooth Crossfade and replay gain (fixed: +6).  Output was set to Diskwriter (where I also unchecked "make several files" or whatever the option is; ie I made on long wave file, thinking this was the only way to get crossfade).

It worked.  I was able to copy that wav file onto a disc using Easy CD Creator 4.

However, there was no crossfading, and definitely no replay gain (one of my songs was WAY loud).
Did you ever have any luck with this? I just tried using diskwriter with V9 and the crossfading worked. I created a single wave file with crossfading set to agressive and 16 seconds, then switched playback back to gapless and "wave out" and played back the resultant wave file and the cross-fading was definitely there. Try it again and listen to the wave file before burning to make sure it's what you want. To save time, test with just a couple of tracks first.

If you set diskwriter to make separate tracks, it will also do the cross-fading, you just have to make sure you burn in DAO (disk at once) mode which is the default with MJ and probably EZ CD creator as well. The advantage of separate tracks of course is that you can seek to the various tracks on your player.

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2002, 08:05:53 am »

Hi John,

I very much appreciate the time you are taking to help me out.  Thank you.
If you set diskwriter to make separate tracks, it will also do the cross-fading

Perfect!  I just created a cd, and it's beautiful :)

As for the lack of crossfading on my previous cd, I don't know... I guess I must have forgotten a setting somewhere, because I've burned successfully since then.
you just have to make sure you burn in DAO (disk at once) mode

Could that be the problem with my Phillips CDRW and the internal MJ engine?  In my original post, I wrote:
When I do a test mode only, I get the following after it's gone through the songs:  "Couldn't start DAO Recording Session" in the CD Burning Progress Dialog box.

One last question... until replay gain works, can I normalize using the playback to diskwriter option?  Or did I misunderstand, and replay gain does work after all, but only when playing back to diskwriter (automatic gain certainly seems to do it's work on that playback mode).

JohnT

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2002, 08:44:16 am »

Hi John,
One last question... until replay gain works, can I normalize using the playback to diskwriter option?  Or did I misunderstand, and replay gain does work after all, but only when playing back to diskwriter (automatic gain certainly seems to do it's work on that playback mode).
Replay gain should work fine using the diskwriter option. I haven't used it myself, but maybe someone else can verify this. Disk writer should create files that sound exactly like what you hear when you play them in MJ.
As to the DAO problem with your Philips burner, mine is due to arrive here tomorrow (got it on Ebay for $35.00) so I can probably get it fixed quickly. It's probably a minor setting that the Philips requires that other burners don't need.
Pages: [1]   Go Up