INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What happened to the Graphical Ratings?  (Read 4732 times)

IDSmoker

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
What happened to the Graphical Ratings?
« on: October 11, 2003, 03:33:58 pm »

Just upgraded to 9.1.274 (using the internal "Check for Updates" function).  My first upgrade in a couple of months, and now I can't find the graphical ratings, only numbers.  I've even tried searching the help files, with no results.

Sorry if this question has been asked before, but since the "search message subject" functionality doesn't seem to be working in this new forum software, and I don't feel like doing a manual search of 115 pages of messages....

So, what's going on with the graphical ratings?

jleerigby

Re:What happened to the Graphical Ratings?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2003, 04:22:54 pm »

I think this is an issue with the skin.  What skin are you using?  Do you have a file in the skin directory called List_Rating?

Try searching the forum.  I saw a post from someone recently asking for the opposite - they wanted the number not the graphics.  That post might answer your question.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2003, 04:36:08 pm »

It's graphical in MC 9.1.  Does the rating column show?  Right click on the title bar above the track list and take a look at which items are checked.  Ratings should have a check mark next to it.

IDSmoker

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2003, 04:56:41 pm »

OK, after a little research, here's more info on the problem...

I'm currently using the "Blue Steel" skin, but I've tried a couple of the others and they have the same problem.  I also have the "Rating" column displayed (it's the first column in several of my views).

The "main.xml" file has a <LIST> section that has the following line:

Code: [Select]
   <Entry Name="Rating" Bitmap="List_Rating.png" NumberImages="3" />
The file "List_Rating.png" contains the correct graphical ratings, but I'm still getting numbers for the rating.  I've also tried other files, changing the filename to point to other file, without results.

Any suggestions?

jleerigby

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2003, 05:25:24 pm »

Got me.  Sorry.  Just been searching the forum 'cos I'm sure I've seen this reported before but can't find it.

Post your system info while I scratch my balding head a bit more (hoping for a clever person to jump in!)

IDSmoker

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2003, 05:48:05 pm »

I found information on changing the graphics used for ratings in this thread.

Here's my system info:

Media Center Registered 9.1.274 -- E:\Tools\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 1993 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 272 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1226 / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1233 (xpsp2.030604-1804) / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive I:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Drive T:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Drive U:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Drive Y:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive I: HP       DVD Writer 200j    Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:12  MaxSpeed:12  BurnProof:No
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: No
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

jleerigby

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2003, 06:12:10 pm »

Was MC installed on the E drive previously when it worked Ok?

Maybe you could back up your library and data directory then uninstall / reinstall.

IDSmoker

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2003, 06:23:23 pm »

I did a simple upgrade using the same settings I've used every other time I've upgraded MC9.

I'm really hoping to find a solution that doesn't require me to re-install.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2003, 09:31:05 pm »

It would probably quicker to reinstall than it would to find a simple solution for this.

jleerigby

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2003, 04:35:37 am »

Before you reinstall you could wait until Monday to give Matt a chance to chip in.  I'm sure he'll know the answer.

IDSmoker

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2003, 10:24:07 am »

Maybe you could back up your library and data directory then uninstall / reinstall.

I'm familiar with backing up the library... sometimes I've even been able to restore across various versions of MC9... but by backing up the data directory, are you talking about the Media directory where all my MP3s and AVIs are stored?  Why would a reinstall of MC9 put my data files at risk?

Considering I have nearly 30gb in music alone, data backups are non-trivial.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2003, 10:40:28 am »

i thought this depended on the skin your using

Since i Am using PixOs I See Graphical Ratings other skins may not
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

jleerigby

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2003, 04:17:47 pm »

I'm familiar with backing up the library... sometimes I've even been able to restore across various versions of MC9... but by backing up the data directory, are you talking about the Media directory where all my MP3s and AVIs are stored?  Why would a reinstall of MC9 put my data files at risk?

Considering I have nearly 30gb in music alone, data backups are non-trivial.
Your audio files are safe as long as you don't select the option to delete them during the uninstall.  I mean the directory: C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\Data which would contain covert art (unless you have it stored inside files).  In fact it also contains your library so if you take a copy of this directory and paste it back afterwards you won't even need to use the backup library feature.

Valissystem

• World Citizen
  • Muso on ice...
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2003, 05:38:03 pm »

I've seen this problem once with previous betas, however I could never reproduce the problem as stopping and starting MC cleared it for me.

RandyP

• World Citizen
  • Notre Dame
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2003, 12:17:51 am »

Does this imply there is a way for me to have numeric ratings back? The numbers were fine for me and take up lots less column space to present the same info.

If anyone knows how to modify something and make them show up numeric, please tell me!  Thanks!

jleerigby

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2003, 01:04:38 am »

Does this imply there is a way for me to have numeric ratings back? The numbers were fine for me and take up lots less column space to present the same info.

If anyone knows how to modify something and make them show up numeric, please tell me!  Thanks!
Open up the directory containing the Mega-me skin you are using and rename the List_Rating pic to something like List_ratingOLD

RandyP

• World Citizen
  • Notre Dame
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2003, 02:20:30 am »

Open up the directory containing the Mega-me skin you are using and rename the List_Rating pic to something like List_ratingOLD

Thank you, JLee!!!    :D

Not only does this give me my numeric ratings, MC9 lets me edit them in the List View again. That's thoughtful programming.

IDSmoker

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2003, 09:27:05 am »

i thought this depended on the skin your using

Since i Am using PixOs I See Graphical Ratings other skins may not
Actually, I'm seeing this problem in several different skins... although I'm not sure if PixOS is one of them.  After researching this problem, I've found how each skin defines the graphic to use for the ratings, but that definition is not working correctly for my installation.

Your audio files are safe as long as you don't select the option to delete them during the uninstall.  I mean the directory: C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\Data which would contain covert art (unless you have it stored inside files).  

Ahhh, I hadn't thought about backing up that directory.  Thanks for the info.

jleerigby

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2003, 11:55:33 am »

Before you reinstall you could wait until Monday to give Matt a chance to chip in.  I'm sure he'll know the answer.
Any chance you can put us out of our misery Matt?  (Or prove me wrong and say you don't know!) ?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2003, 12:44:03 pm »

Does it draw the up / down sort arrows on the column headers?

Does graphical rating work in any view? (Playing Now, Media Library, etc.)

We haven't seen this one before, so we're guessing.  Any other clues would be great.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

IDSmoker

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2003, 02:17:42 pm »

Does it draw the up / down sort arrows on the column headers?

Yes, the sort indicators all look fine.

Does graphical rating work in any view? (Playing Now, Media Library, etc.)

No, I haven't seen any graphical ratings (just numbers) in any view/playlist/smartlist, since I upgraded from 9.0 to 9.1.

We haven't seen this one before, so we're guessing.  Any other clues would be great.

I would imagine that the code defaults to the numeric rating if it can't find the file with the appropiate graphics.  Could it be something related to the way that "main.xml" references the file location?  I've tried putting the file in several locations (main MC9 dir, root skin directory, as well as it's normal location in the same directory with the skin.

I've tried other "ratings" graphics (from the thread referenced in one of my earlier posts), so I doubt if it's a graphics format problem.  And since I've seen the same problem in the other skins....

I'll try installing a new skin next, to see if the "install skin" function sets a value that got corrupted when I upgraded to MC9.1.

Any other suggestions, beyond doing a full uninstall?

jleerigby

IDSmoker

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2003, 07:11:27 pm »

Installing the Media Player skin didn't change the ratings... they are still numeric.  It also doesn't seem to matter whether the "Rating" column is the first in the display or not (I saw something about that being a problem for some people).

I've now verified that this problem occurs with every skin that gets installed by default (the Media Player is the first other skin I've ever installed in MC).

Any other suggestions?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2003, 07:14:44 pm »

Where do you see them as numeric?  In the content window?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2003, 08:04:00 pm »

this looks like this is going no place

if IDSmoker posted a picture of what he is seeing maybe it may be easyer to figure out what is the problem.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

jleerigby

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2003, 01:19:43 am »

I know what he's seeing and if you rename the List_Rating file for one of your mega-me skins so will you.  I just have no idea why it's happening.  Looks like reinstall is the only answer.

IDSmoker

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2003, 03:52:38 pm »

Where do you see them as numeric?  In the content window?

It's the regular main pane (not sure what the proper name for it is) that takes up most of the screen when you have selected a view scheme or play/smartlist.

As an aside, my MC9x installation is pretty generic.  At the moment I'm only using MC to manage my library of music and ebooks and to sync with my iPod.

Other than a large number of smartlists (20 or so), a few of them with custom column arrangements, there really shouldn't be much difference between my setup and a clean install of MC... unless there are some legacy default settings from one of the older versions I've used.

I just have no idea why it's happening.  Looks like reinstall is the only answer.

Yeah, I'm coming to the same conclusion.  :-[

The reason I'm so hesitant to do a clean install, is because the last time I did (over 6 months ago), I lost all of my smartlists.  At the time, the only "Export" function I could find exported them as playlists.  It was a lot of trouble to re-create all of them, and that was 6 months of expanding/tweaking ago!

Is there a working method for backing up/restoring smartlists?  Or is this information also being stored in the "Data" directory you mentioned earlier?  

dragyn

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2003, 04:26:09 pm »

I would just make a library backup. This will keep everything, including smartlists. Uninstall MC (include registry). Reinstall MC. Restore Library.

This is what I would do. Make sure you're library is backed up and in a safe spot.
Pages: [1]   Go Up