INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hairstyle - will it ever happens?  (Read 2768 times)

ugilt

• Junior Woodchuck
  • a picture says more than a thousand words...
Hairstyle - will it ever happens?
« on: October 15, 2003, 03:19:48 pm »

First of all congrats for getting 9.1 out.
I do however miss an updated Haristyle

I have a RF based remote I can use across my house and enough TV's to look at.

I just miss a haistyle that's capable of beeing modified not to mention beeing controled by ie. mjextman.exe in order to use my remote.

So Dear JRiver - are you planning for any future for this ??

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re:Hairstyle - will it ever happens?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2003, 03:30:39 pm »

Hairstyle had a major overhaul in version 9.1.

And it should be very remote friendly -- just make your remote fire keyboard keys  (Girder, etc.), or use MC's built in remote support.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

lOth

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2003, 03:37:57 pm »

Hairstyle had a major overhaul in version 9.1.

Did I miss something? Could you detail the changes from 9.0 to 9.1?

sraymond

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2003, 09:29:45 pm »

I just miss a haistyle that's capable of beeing modified not to mention beeing controled by ie. mjextman.exe in order to use my remote.

edit:  I looked quick at the avatar and thought you were Nila!Nila,

I can't think of any holes in the remote control functionality.  There are MCC_COMMANDS for just about everything you can think of - certainly anything I can think of that would relate to Hairstyle use.  And you can create keyboard accelerators for all MCC_COMMANDS (I think).

The only thing that I think is missing is the "menu" key - to toggle between hairstyle and full-screen - but that's a minor annoyance.

Scott-

ugilt

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2003, 12:48:40 am »

My point is that I'm
using a RF remote that's not currently supported. Only remotes your list are IR based

So
- how to configure the hairstyle display with my OWN content ?
- How to enable harstyle mode via mjextman.exe ?

sraymond

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2003, 02:11:26 am »

My point is that I'm
using a RF remote that's not currently supported. Only remotes your list are IR based

So
- how to configure the hairstyle display with my OWN content ?
- How to enable harstyle mode via mjextman.exe ?

For your first question, you're SOL for the time being...  if it's vitally important to you, I suggest you look at other applications as a "front-end" to MC.  I use myHTPC for this purpose, as I just can't live without weather feeds (though I'm sure this borders on a mania!).  What I do is use myHTPC to launch MC in Hairstyle.  I'd rather avoid having to use two different interfaces - but until MC improves on the Hairstyle, it's the best of both worlds.  I can also throw games for my son on myHTPC as well.

For your second question, you need to download and install Girder (www.girder.nl).  I use it with my ATI Remote Wonder (RF) and it's great - I don't even need to be in the same room to control MC.  If you have any trouble getting Girder to work, don't hesitate to ask - many of us here are using it.  There is an MCC parameter (to mjextman.exe) that toggles between mega-me, full-screen, and hairstyle.  You can also use the "app" key on the keyboard to toggle between just hairstyle and full-screen.

Scott-

ugilt

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2003, 08:25:26 am »

Scott-
thx a lot for your valuabale direction - I had a look at your suggestions and I will go for myHTPC (at least as long MC does't do it)

The girder might not be needed as I'm using the palmbutler remote ...

I might get back to you for some help if I doesn't succeed

thx

ugilt

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2003, 03:51:10 am »

ok Scott.
Think I will ask for some help.

Got MyHTPC running and installed the MC plugin. Looking at the doc this surely assumes you'd been installed pluginns for a decade .."as any other plugin"...

Hmm, can you possible guide me trough the setup.
I got it working switching to MC Hairstyle but that wasn't the purpose
thx

sraymond

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2003, 11:28:36 am »

I just add a program to the list - I didn't see the benefit of hassling with the plugin.

<Programs Caption="myMediaCenter" ItemID="8">
    <Permissions Enabled="True" PIN="" Everyone="True">
        <Grants/>
    </Permissions>
    <Commands>
        <Command CmdLine="C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\Media Jukebox.exe" Parameters="" Dir="" Delay="0" Show="normal"/>
    </Commands>
</Programs>

And I have MC set to start in Hairstyle mode.

Scott-

ugilt

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2003, 02:07:46 am »

ok,
reading my last post again I can see it wasn't that clear (at all).

How do you handle/choose playlist. The only way I can get it to work is by going fullscreen thus not using myHTPC any more

Any sugestions ?

thx

sraymond

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2003, 11:14:02 am »

Yeah, I see what you're saying...  and I guess I wasn't clear, either, in my description.

To keep things *extremely* simple, I decided to just use myHTPC for everything *but* MC.  I then added an MC item to the list of myHTPC programs.  When I execute it (MC), it opens MC in hairstyle mode - so I'm no longer seeing the myHTPC interface.  As I mentioned, I wish I didn't have to deal with two different interfaces - but at least I get the option of adding content to myHTPC and still using Hairstyle (even though it's far from perfect - it does let me capitalize on the strongpoints of MC:  the database).

The only alternative seems to be MusicLobby (expensive!) or one of the webremote type of apps (NetRemote?).  I'm hoping the the next version of myHTPC (called H2) might let us integrate MC better - but I'm not holding my breath.  It should be out in the next few months, though.

You're trying to open MC within the myHTPC interface, right?  I wonder if anyone else here has done that (sucessfully!)?

Scott-

NoCodeUK

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2003, 06:53:25 pm »

Eifell wrote a plug in that allowed MC to be run inside myHTPC in the same way that you can run WMP...it is availbale from the plug ins page in the myHTPC forums...
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

sraymond

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2003, 08:09:08 pm »

Adam,

What's the benefit of using the plugin vice running MC as a program?

Scott-

Skillsadam

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2003, 09:11:07 pm »

It gives you the ability to control some functions of MC within MyHTPC, but it lacks (to my mind) some core functionality in terms of playlists. I requested a mod to the plugin allowing you to select a playlist on startup or having the ability to launch playlists with different instances of MC but Eiffel hasn't done it yet.

It's a great plugin and you should at least check it out, for lots of folks it does exactly what they want and need....

skills

sraymond

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2003, 09:52:18 pm »

skills,

You mean the plugin presents a full-screen interface?  That would be pretty cool - I'll check it out.

Scott-

sraymond

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2003, 11:20:55 pm »

I took a look at the plugin...  it's nice, but the functionality seems to be limited to Playing Now controls.  For example, I don't see any way to browse the MC library from within the myHTPC interface (vice going Full Screen and doing it from within MC)

It will be great if H2 allows an easier and full customizaiton - at that point, it might make sense to drop the Hairstyle all-together.

Eiffel (the write of the plugin) seems like a great guy - does he post here?

Scott-

ugilt

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2003, 01:54:48 am »

I ended up with same conclusion - playing now works great, but very limited way of choosing another playlist (read wasn't able to do it!)

thx for all your input

Eiffel

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2003, 10:02:58 am »

Yes, Eiffel does post here from time to time  ;)

The limitations of the myHTPC plugin you describe are due to the myHTPC plugin interface. These limitations exist with all the other myHPTC plugins (winamp and wmp, to name a few).

When myHTPC2 will be released this should change (I understand that, then, myHTPC will also include a significantly beefed up music player, which may make the current plugin redundant)... This being said, the best way to gain access to all the MC9 functionality would be to improve on hairstyle, and make it look and behave like myHTPC, and eliminate the plugin altogether.

sraymond

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2003, 11:22:01 am »

Eiffel...  now I remember:  you're the Girder Guru, too!

When myHTPC2 will be released this should change (I understand that, then, myHTPC will also include a significantly beefed up music player, which may make the current plugin redundant)... This being said, the best way to gain access to all the MC9 functionality would be to improve on hairstyle, and make it look and behave like myHTPC, and eliminate the plugin altogether.

You'll get no disagreement from me about the "best way", but as I've mentioned a few times in the past, I'm of the mind that JRiver knows what needs to be done - but for some reason it must not make business sense for them to do it (or do it now).

I'm hoping H2 will allow the development of a plugin that accesses playlists - that would probably be enough for me.  But I might even decide to go back to HTPC browsing for media via a directory structure (ugh!) - and myHTPC does that just fine now.

Scott-

ugilt

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2003, 01:18:32 am »

Yahh, totally agree Scott.
The reason for this thread is that MC is a lovely product, but the haistyle.... let's just say it lack some features :-)

MyHTPC gives the needed interface but lack the possibility to access playlist which really is needed.

So back to the drawing board again...
Pages: [1]   Go Up