INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Radio stations.. not evolving  (Read 2175 times)

yannl

• Junior Woodchuck
  • :-)
Radio stations.. not evolving
« on: November 06, 2003, 02:08:31 am »

The radio station page never changed since it has been created. It's still impossible to add personnal stations without going thru the submission, that not always works, and... it's still linked to a web page... causing a "my stations" lost at each IE cache cleaning. I'm sure I could find a way for this not to happen, but it's not a really good storing solution anyway.

Should'nt it evolve a little ? ITunes radio page is very convenient for instance. Limited use, but nice to see (and very very fast, no buffering or almost none) and nice to use. The browsing part is not perfect either.

Is that planned ?
Yann L<br>________________________<br><br>Dans la vie, il faut faire comme le canard;<br>Etre calme en surface et pédaler comme un fou en profondeur (

skidoo

• World Citizen
Re:Radio stations.. not evolving
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2003, 12:57:06 pm »

Just skip it and use ShoutCast. You can configure Media Center to actually play the streams.

But I hear what you're saying. Audio streaming has become so popular here, I would think a better UI for managing this would be rather high on the priority list.

You guys should charge more for this software and hire more developers.

sraymond

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2003, 02:20:42 pm »

You guys should charge more for this software and hire more developers.

Hey, these days isn't it "do more with less"?  You know...  more, better, cheaper, faster:  the American way.

Scott-

Skeet

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2003, 02:43:47 pm »

Just skip it and use ShoutCast. You can configure Media Center to actually play the streams.

But I hear what you're saying. Audio streaming has become so popular here, I would think a better UI for managing this would be rather high on the priority list.

The whole advantage of Media Center over other software (and why I'll pay for it and not the others) is that it's all inclusive. It should be serving all our media needs. The radio stations look like a half-hearted add on. I may be stupid, but it took me hours to work out how to record streaming radio at a preset time. I'd like this to be more intuitive too.

sraymond

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2003, 02:58:46 pm »

The whole advantage of Media Center over other software (and why I'll pay for it and not the others) is that it's all inclusive. It should be serving all our media needs. The radio stations look like a half-hearted add on. I may be stupid, but it took me hours to work out how to record streaming radio at a preset time. I'd like this to be more intuitive too.

Right.  Remember:  JRiver's claim to fame is "All Media - One Interface".

Scott-

yannl

• Junior Woodchuck
  • :-)
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2003, 01:56:36 am »

Yep. And it's buggy too. I tried once to search for a swiss station: option music. Search found nothing. Then I tried to add it, and it said it exists already :-( Then I submited it again, changing a few fields, succeeded but never got feedback and never found it in the list.

And I agree: MC is the almost perfect ALL IN ONE application. I'd rather wait for improvment than using 10 other softs, but thanks for the alternative anyway.

BTW: The image tagging do not exists either :-D (IPTC, EXIF) Somebody posted something about that the other day: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=16666
We can view image, but not manage them.
Yann L<br>________________________<br><br>Dans la vie, il faut faire comme le canard;<br>Etre calme en surface et pédaler comme un fou en profondeur (

sraymond

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2003, 09:35:23 am »

BTW: The image tagging do not exists either :-D (IPTC, EXIF) Somebody posted something about that the other day: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=16666
We can view image, but not manage them.

Image tagging works fairly well with MC.  It is able to read EXIF tags automatically and you can create your own fields for use with Tagging Mode.

Scott-

Thunderbird1

• Recent member
  • Hello breakfast!
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2003, 10:17:38 am »

Here, here...add my vote as I definitely agree with this. This is one of the (few, rare...errr...only) things iTunes has over MC...and the fact it can read m4* tags.  ;)
Upon my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness...which is nice.

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2003, 11:13:19 am »

I'll take a look at this when I get a chance...

j

Marc

• World Citizen
  • Filthy Monkey
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2003, 11:37:01 am »

I still use Total Recorder Pro to record internet radio streams (Art Bell, etc.).  It allows you to schedule recording time and source fairly easy and sports a browser interface which allows you to easily select where your audio is coming from.  I keep hoping MC-9 will grow some similar features so I can standardize on one (this) product.

You didn't ask, but here's my wish list anyways:
  • Easy method of selecting source regardless of type
  • A straightforward scheduler (by day, week, month, hour, etc.)
  • Easy file naming / MP3 tagging based on source criteria and other important standard variables (date, time, etc.)
  • Selectable output (OGG, MP3, APE, etc.) format
So, there you have it.  If you do this, my life would be complete...  well - almost. ;)

Thanks!

Marc
THAT's what I'm talking about.
Pages: [1]   Go Up