INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Malformed command  (Read 3367 times)

srogers22

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Malformed command
« on: December 10, 2002, 04:58:31 pm »

When I attempt to get tag information I always get the error message 'Malformed command sent from server to client'.  Why is this?

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
Re: Malformed command
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2002, 07:10:06 pm »

cddb is no longer supported. Please use yadb instead.

j

Diane

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2002, 11:12:13 am »

In the FAQ's, it says to ensure in Settings/Options - that CDDB lookup is checked for this purpose. Can you explain further before I try this for the first time, please?

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2002, 12:31:53 pm »

The CDDB option is there for legacy purposes. I registered with CDDB way back when MJ v7 came out. So I'm still able to use it. Bottom line...it depends when you registered both MJ and CDDB. So YADB is your only option.

10-27

Diane

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2002, 01:28:31 pm »

Have checked out MJ 8's features, and now see how YADB works.  Or rather, doesn't work all that well.

CDDB lookup is very important for a lot of folk - and it's surprising that MJ  is lacking in this respect.

srogers22

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2002, 04:02:33 pm »

OK, I just registered for Media Jukebox and I cannot get YADB to work either.  Not at all.  The only place I have been able to find where one selects to update or download id3 tag information is in performing a left click on the file and then selecting Properties.  A menu item under Tools says 'Get information from CDDB' this wording does not change if I select YADB as the id3 tag source.  So, how do I get ID3 tag information for a song?
Also, I've found that when I Update Database fields it gets rid of the information I have manually entered like artist name and album title.  The help on this says it will 'This will re-create your database fields based on the files' tag information.'  So, isn't the artist name and album title I have entered in the Media File Properties tag information?  Or is this tag information stored somewhere else?  Stored for those lucky users who are able to retrieve it that is.

xen-uno

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2002, 04:20:06 pm »

You must be running v9. Some of your specifics don't jive with v8. Post it over in the MC9 forum where you will get a quicker response.

In v8, selection of YADB/CDDB is made in Settings>Options>Device Settings

10-27

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2002, 05:17:33 pm »

Have checked out MJ 8's features, and now see how YADB works.  Or rather, doesn't work all that well.

CDDB lookup is very important for a lot of folk - and it's surprising that MJ  is lacking in this respect.

The phrasing here sounds strangely familiar to me. In any case, some details would be nice instead of the generic "doesn't work that well".

j

srogers22

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2002, 05:23:47 pm »

I selected Help/About Media Jukebox and the screen showed Media Jukebox Plus 8.0.393.  I have selected YADB under Settings/Options/Device Settings.

I definitely still see the menu item 'Get Information from CDDB when I right click on the file and select Properties/Tools.

Is there some other way to download the id3 tag information in version 8?  In your copy of version 8 do you not see 'Get Information from CDDB' under Properties/Tools?

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2002, 07:00:41 pm »

srogers22 - place a CD in the drive. Click on the CD device on the left of the screen. Then right click on it, and from the menu choose the option to get the info (sorry, can't remember it right now). It should happen any time you read a CD in the drive, but the above steps will make sure it is or is not working. For individual track lookip, you'll have to try version 9.

j

Diane

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2002, 07:05:08 pm »

It failed to get track,artist for some easy ones, exile on main st, Patti Smith's Horses, Taj Mahal's blue light boogie, and no classical ones yet,  Beethoven Violin Concerto/Menuhin etc, or not mine anyway.
That's what I meant by not too well.  Then it did get six or 7 in a row, that was good.  Now it won't get any but don't think its yadb.  The r h pane now shows no files at all for Audio CD and it keeps saying select files to play.
Maybe a reboot will fix it then I'll have a better idea of its lookup.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2002, 07:35:15 pm »

Things like Exile on Main Street should hit.
For these, please post the name/artist of the CD, the time you did the lookup, your IP address if you know it, and whether the CD is store-bought or home-burned.

j

Diane

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2002, 08:09:10 pm »

Come again? -  is there a topic for this to be posted to, I'd feel lame starting one for this.  But I will if it'll help somehow.  All my CD's store-bought, don't have a car CD player. hoping for a car mp3 player soon.
But I won't be posting any of this until I figure out where the audio CD files have gone, they're still not showing in M Jukebox's r h pane, just when the yadb was having success too.

xen-uno

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2002, 04:49:50 am »

..rog...

I am using 393 also. What I see is CD Disk Info which DOES use CDDB. It may be hardcoded for this (because I have YADB set as the default lookup). It works for me for reasons stated in my first post.

10-27

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2002, 07:17:55 am »

Hi DIane,

What I meant was: try a lookup on "Exile on Main Street" or any other CD that you think should be found. Note the exact time (with time zone). If you know your IP address, note that as well. Post all info here, and I'll see what went wrong.

j

Diane

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2002, 11:04:51 am »

The audio CD tracks now appear again on rhs after re-boot.  exile on main street - 8 am Sydney [GMT + 10 i think], IP 210.50.132.168 yadb didn't get info on this one

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2002, 05:34:08 pm »

Hi Diane, I don't show any hits for you at all from that IP address.
Take a CD you know YADB worked with, do a lookup, and then try the exile cd.

Make sure the other one works, and let me know the time/ip here.

Thanks,

j

srogers22

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2002, 06:59:35 pm »

I tried this with Tapesty by Carole King and it worked great!  Thanks.  So I got a CD I made yesterday from a cassette tape, Storms of Life by Randy Travis.  I put it in the drive and did not get a download if tag information.  Is this because the songs are named like '01 - No Place Like Home' that is with a number in front?  Or does the lookup query even use song titles?

I have a more basic question.  Where is the Text in a Text CD stored?  Is that information related in any way to the ID3 tag information?  Can I pull it up and edit it directly?  Also, when I look in the directory where the files for the Storms of Life are kept I see a file with a song name 'No Place Like Home.pk'.  What is this?  Does the extension stand for Primary Key?

OK, one more question.  I downloaded what I thought was the latest version of Media Jukebox in response to a newspaper article saying how a new version was out and how great it was.  It seems though that I'm already behind with version 9 being out there.  Is version 8 a new release or not?  Will I have to pay 19.98 to upgrade to version 9?

Diane

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2002, 06:59:45 pm »

OK it identified Jimi Henrix's "Blues" CD just then. Now I've put in exile on main street, also bought version, & it's not identifird.  I'm not behind a proxy & the IP is wait for it  210.50.135.197
It's 4pm sat 14th dec in Sydney, don't know what time that is for you

srogers22

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2002, 07:14:07 pm »

When I manually fill in Artist/Album infomation say by selecting a group of files then properities and type this information in and save it does it go somewhere other than where ID3 Tag information is stored?  I think it must because if I 'Update all database fields' which I belive is described in Help as an update from id3 Tag information, the information I have typed and saved disappears.

rocketsauce

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2002, 11:56:20 pm »

I tried this with Tapesty by Carole King and it worked great!  Thanks.  So I got a CD I made yesterday from a cassette tape, Storms of Life by Randy Travis.  I put it in the drive and did not get a download if tag information.  Is this because the songs are named like '01 - No Place Like Home' that is with a number in front?

From what you are saying here there might be a little confusion about the types of cds that you are trying to "look up".  AFAIK, CDDB/YADB will only look up info for audio cds.  Since it worked for the Carole King album, I'm assuming that it is a commercially pressed cd.  Based on what you are saying about the Randy Travis album it sounds like when you burned the tracks to cd you did not burn it as an audio cd, but as a data cd containing MP3 files.  If you had burned it as an audio cd, Windows would list the tracks simply as Track01.cda, Track02.cda, etc.

Where is the Text in a Text CD stored?  Is that information related in any way to the ID3 tag information?  Can I pull it up and edit it directly?

CD Text and ID3 Tags are two separate things.

CD-Text is a way to embed artist/album/track info on an audio cd (as opposed to a cd with mp3s on it).  There are several things required for CD Text to work.  The cd player (hardware or software) must support reading CD Text (for example, the majority of hi-fi cd players do not read CD Text, nor does Windows CD Player).  To create a cd with CD-Text, your burner and burning software must support writing CD-Text info.  Once a cd is burned with CD-Text, the info cannot be edited.  Also, a cd that contains CD-Text info will still show up in Windows as Track01.cda, Track02.cda, etc.

When I manually fill in Artist/Album infomation say by selecting a group of files then properities and type this information in and save it does it go somewhere other than where ID3 Tag information is stored?  I think it must because if I 'Update all database fields' which I belive is described in Help as an update from id3 Tag information, the information I have typed and saved disappears.

I have never used the "Update all database fields" option.  I read the help file regarding it and am still not really clear on what it is supposed to do.  In any event, you don't need to use it to save ID3 tag info.  Make sure that your MP3 Input Plugin (Settings/Plug-in Manager) is configured correctly.  Both ID3v1 and ID3v2 modes should be set to "Save (create if necessary)".  Then when you choose a group of files, right-click and choose Properties and fill in Album/Artist info and hit Save, the tags will be updated.  There is no need to use "Update all database fields" to save tag info.

Regarding v8 and v9beta of MJ, v8 is the audio only jukebox and v9 is audio, as well as video, dvd and image browsing.

Rob

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2002, 09:20:29 am »

Io I got a CD I made yesterday from a cassette tape, Storms of Life by Randy Travis.  I put it in the drive and did not get a download if tag information.  Is this because the songs are named like '01 - No Place Like Home' that is with a number in front?  Or does the lookup query even use song titles?

This may work with Media Center 9 (and a future version of Media Jukebox) using the individual track lookup. It depends on the quality loss from the cassette tape.

j

Pages: [1]   Go Up