INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Compiled list of MC 10 feature requests  (Read 12016 times)

NoCodeUK

• Citizen of the Universe
Compiled list of MC 10 feature requests
« on: December 10, 2003, 08:00:38 am »

Okay here is the compiled list of feature ideas as posted in the turning the tables thread.  I have tried to group them in the sections to which they relate inside MC.

CD Rip/Burn

• "Re-rip" feature
  • a better interface for queuing up files for burning, more like Nero.
  • Be able to rip more than one CD at once
  • Burner queueing
  • CUE Sheet creation & support when ripping
  • CUE/APL like functionality for mp3s.
  • Faster way to enter album titles when it cannot be found
  • Incremented time stamping on data CD burns
  • multidrive-support for ripping (parallel), asynchronious encoding (background-processing)
  • Overburning possibilities
  • Simultaneous rip and encode
  • When a track set is too long for a cda burn, have the ability to automatically fade out the last track that will fit.
  • When burning files in the library to data disc, give us the option of having these files automatically flagged as archived
  • When using action window for cd burning be able to see tracks already sent as with playing now
  • Copy CD function (lalittle)[/color]
DSP

• digital room/speaker correction during playback
  • DSP and DFX for video
  • eq in the action window

DVD

• A way to list DVD titles I have backed up on my server
  • an easy way of getting DVD information and storing it with the DVD/DVD files on HD... cover art, summary etc.
  • better way to control what filters/codecs are used in MC for DVD playback
  • improve DVD playback

File Formats

• Full support for MKV (Matroska) and OGM container formats
  • More seamless support (it's not important if it's native or if you use QT 6.1 as an engine) for .m4p, m4a, and any other AAC type format
  • VCD Support
  • Web media
  • Full Flac support (Quisp)[/color]
Hairstyle

• A screensaver type feature for Hairstyle that switches to a selected full-screen visualization after a configurable period of activity.
  • change HairStyle's name
  • Hairstyle Thumbnail Caching
  • HairStyle to be created as a network node solution so that is can control a host PC from a TabletPC or other thin client type.  
  • Hairstyle to be improved to the level of Music Lobby or other similar TV only front ends.
  • protected mode with only access to a Hairstyle view

Handheld

• Be able to use the MC user interface whilst synchronising with a handheld
  • Better Handheld support
  • Dynamic playlists on iPod
  • nail the iPod integration.
  • Ipod Autosync like iTunes
  • Remove redundant location info in iPod playlist window[/color]
Images

• A calendar view for images.
  • ability to stream saved slideshows to Tivo
  • Auto import/sync in background for images
  • I have never really gotten into the swing of photos.  More work on the usability of this.
  • I really want saved slideshows.
  • More varied templates and options for creating web pages of images to upload.
  • Print support for images.
  • Search images by matching

Library

• Ability to sync/import media from multiple, user defined folders and being able to do this per library
  • support for library sharing or media server needs to support writing to the files
  • Synchronise two libraries
  • The ability to be able to load a library from a command line
  • Album rating based on the mean of the track ratings
  • Sync two libraries/laptop and pc but have different formats on each pc (ape on the main pc and mp3 on the laptop) retaining all relevant tags[/color]
    • Offline file support (samarah88)[/color]
    Comrades - For each feature you would like to see added, create a brief, one (preferred) or two line summary so that it can be incorporated into the lists easier. If it is a variation of a listed (or existing) feature, then state that.
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

NoCodeUK

Re:Compiled list of MC 10 features
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2003, 08:01:34 am »

Media Editor

• When editing an mp3 in Media Editor, somehow be able to keep the tags that were on the original mp3

Media Server

• An alternative Media Server mode that allows the client to control the server
  • Media Server support for audible, aac and itunes purchased songs
  • Option in Media Server to control the format and bandwidth it uses
  • True support for client / server

Miscellaneous

• ability to load PhatBox with music.
  • When converting audio using MC add an option to use the replaygain settings when decoding so that I can convert my .mpc files for use on my .mp3 portable that doesn't support replaygain.

Playback

• A command to stop playing after the current track ends.
  • A-B Loop
  • Album Gain
  • an over-ride as to how a song starts/stops, and the next song begins
  • As an option, clicking on a file outside of MC (e.g., in a newsreader or other download program) adds the track to the playlist at the end without interrupting the current playing file.
  • DJ Features (eg more control over fades, looping, zones to control cueing and setting cue points etc.)
  • Dynamic crossfade (without stopping/starting track)
  • Full FLAC format support.[/s] (moved to File Formats)
  • On the fly replay gain
  • Possibility to change the fade-times dynamically (via SDK) without stopping playback
  • ReplayGain implemented properly - 89db target

Playlists/Smartlists

• A wizard to create view/playlists for the average users
  • Playlist sharing online with other users
  • some kind of automatic synchronization tool in regards to posting playlists on the web. Specifiy an ftp address, login/password, and it automatically uploads the chosen playlist to the web.
  • Some way of automatically sharing smartlists with other users.
  • Session based Recently Imported lists similar to Recent Playing Now's (ThatAdamGuy)[/color]
Radio/Streaming

• A genuine "web stations" section with better format/bitrate support
  • Allowing user's local/non-shared customization
  • improve the radio part of MC

Remote Control

• More commands available in the internal remote-control-system (like rating, minimize, maximize ...)
  • Rating through remote control
  • Support for Pinnacle PCTV (or a generic) Serial Port remote control (without the need for Girder).
  • The ability to automatically assign numbers to albums, so they can be printed out and called from an IR remote.

Search

• The ability to concatenate and nest searches

Slideshows

• A 'Presentation Module' which can be included with a Slide Show onto a CD-R disc scheme

Statistics

• "Copy all to clipboard" tool for statistics, like in the old Media Jukebox
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

NoCodeUK

Re:Compiled list of MC 10 features
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2003, 08:01:55 am »

Tagging

• a 'Tagging' toolbar that I can turn on or off using another toolbar buton (like the drawing toolbar in Word)
  • a Y/N "checkbox" field type for the database.
  • Ability to rename destination directories and rename files when acquiring images (possibly based on EXIF data)
  • Ability to update my tags by importing an edited version of an exported playlist
  • An extra 'Fill Track Numbers From List Order' option - 'Start At X'.  so that the first track number in the highlighted list is set to X and the rest of the list is incremented from that
  • assign an image to any kind of file in my library, example: tv channels
  • Auto populate fields from filename for certain directories / media types.
  • Automatic album art download
  • better cover art management. Right now, cover art (folder.jpg) stays in the old folder when renaming files from properties.
  • Everytime I make tag changes, I run "Rename From Properties" to update the filenames.  I'm lazy, so some type of auto-synchronize for my main music files would be handy.
  • I want the "Tag Info" screen to show "Fields With Values" along with "Fields In Current View".  I'm always adding or removing a column just to get to something there.
  • include more than one image with a file.  i.e. both front, back and inside of CDs.
  • mark files as offline
  • More control over the tagging and when the tags are saved etc.
  • Possibility to define own categories for the library-fields (and use them in the 'fields to show'-selection)
  • Some sort of nesting or similar in list-type fields would make organizing my images with people, places, and events easier.
  • Virtual Albums - the ability to have a single track appear in more than one album
  • When using the rename files from properties function have different base locations for each media type

Usability/Interface

• "wizards"
  • a button for each and every tool.
  • A longer search bar
  • A way to build an automated task list for those tasks that you perform to every rip and/or conversion. A Smartlist for Library Tools.
  • Ability to create our own shortcut toolbar buttons to take us to various tree nodes
  • Ability to define some sort of groups of fields etc - for tagging and columns etc - the list is getting out of control.
  • Ability to hide the Action Window, Player window (compact), etc. More space for the actual files instead of all the extras.
  • Action window to detach as window
  • add mouse shortcuts/gestures
  • An Outlook type navigation where we can navigate MC using an Outlook bar (would be a perfect place for those shortcuts I mentioned), the tree, or both. (both would be hideable)
  • Be able to customise keyboard shortcuts, assigning a key combo to any command
  • Be able to customise the Action window
  • Be able to write/record macros, and assign them to toolbar icons or keyboard shortcuts
  • Have complete control over the MC left pane
  • Improved and updated SDK which is up to date and current with the latest versions of MC and gives us more power
  • Location bar per view with customisable controls per view scheme and more 'tools' we can display on the location bar
  • Make MC work with "Offline Synchronized files".
  • modularize the functionality
  • More customisation on toolbars/menus
  • More customizing instead of all being hard coded. Like the presets for example.
  • Multi-Lingual MC or the possibility to create it by ourselfs.(Not just the extrem limited Ressource.XML)
  • Offer a solution where you can remove everything but audio... I dont want or need anything else
  • Pane resizing
  • presenting the contents of VSs as XML objects.
  • Scroll track title in the taskbar icon.
  • Simplify menu structure
  • switch between panel view and tree view in just ONE click
  • Tree-less navigation bar
  • XP multi user support

View Schemes

• a list style that showed large album covers with the tracks next to them in details mode so I could double-click on a certain file.  I like the usability of details, but I love album grouping and those big pictures
  • I want one view for images, one for audio, and one for video.  It's easier on me to switch settings again than to have things keep switching and to have to keep adding some column to every new view I go to.
  • A better interface for column visibility selection
  • A photo list style that shows one thumbnail per row and details off to the right
  • Ability to resize panes widths
  • an album detailed view
  • Being able to apply a sort to a view list
  • Better support for classical music
  • Grouping sorted for types other than text so I can group for date, size etc
  • keep album thumbnails almost as it is now but make it automatically change when a single album is selected in the list
  • MC to remember each view entirely...image size, splitter position, etc.
  • Option for the panes of sort mode - ASC, DESC
  • switch between album thumbnails and details view in just ONE click.
  • the possibility to define which fields I want to display for each view
  • to be able to set the columns in view and save it with a name. The saved views would be included in the library backup.

Visualizations

• improvement in the visualisations
  • Support for Winamp visualisation plugins

Zones

• consider one master 'server' streaming to multiple PC nodes in sync (then I could use NorhTec silent server fanless, low power, palm sized PC's, in each output zone) controllable via Hairstyle of course...
  • The ability to send playlists to any given zone, not just the active zone.
  • The sync all zones (all music to be played on all zones in perfect time) to be fixed

I will keep the thread locked so it doesn't get messy but will try and add anything new which gets added into the previous thread.  Any ideas or changes to the list mail me at nocodeuk @ netscape . net (no spaces) and I will sort it out.  I'm not trying to be totalitarian just thought it would be better for the developers to remain one list ;D

Adam

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re:Compiled list of MC 10 feature requests
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2003, 09:29:56 am »

Adam,
Thanks very much for doing this.  

I've opened the thread for comments.

Everyone,
Please keep in mind that we will read these and consider them all, but we have to chose those we believe are improvements for a majority of MC users.

Jim

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2003, 10:41:21 am »

Roger,
Last request to drop the Nazi symbol from your member account or have it terminated.

For others:
http://www.adl.org/learn/ext_us/pierce_death.asp

Jim

NoCodeUK

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2003, 10:43:42 am »

Some suggestions from Jaguu for image collections over 10,000

1) Select  an image playlist to send to an integrated wallpaper cycler application (wallpaper changing at selectable intervalls with images taken from Media Library).
2) Same for Screensaver
3) Use a combined audio/image playlist and store it to a screensaver *.src file with a specific name like "Summer screensaver" "Winter Screensaver", "Family screensaver" etc.
4) From the same audio/image playlist creating an executable *exe file that can be burned to a cd.
5) Same as 4) combined with a cd autorun feature
6) Same as 4) combined with a read only or trial version of MC9 to be burned on cd, so that it can be given away and could be transformed into a full working version. So we could give a way a trial version combined with preselected content.
7) There should be more configurability on how I want to display tag info on the screen for images like font size and color, area of the screen, duration of display, different moving modes etc. Some kind of extension of the track info page for images
8 ) Starting a slide show in Hairstyle should be simplified.
9) There should be kind of a presentation layer for slide show, so that on a cd it will start with a nice menu from where I can select different slide shows.
10) A good program that does all this and more is "Digital Photo Slide Show" at http://www.digitalphotoslideshow.com/. Unfortunately it cannot make use of tags. That's why I would like to have those features integrated in MC.

markp99

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2003, 01:43:37 pm »

My *only* gripe in the entire v9.1 package:

iPod playlist display contains *redundant* location info:

Example, my iPod display looks like this:

Code: [Select]
Rock/Pop (iPod... >
Soundtracks (i... >
Full CD's (iPod... >

This is a aberration introduced mid-way thru the 9.1 beta trail.  I think it looks crappy.  Previous reply from jriver was, "please live with this, for now."

Hopefully this will be addressed cleanly in v10; everything else is gravy.  :)

Deivit

• I find your interest interesting...
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2003, 03:24:14 pm »

Sorry if this has already requested before.

In List Style "Album thumbnail" I would like to have the possibility to define what is the info to be shown under the thumbnails. Now we only have the album title and I would like to also have the artist name and maybe the year.

I'm not refering to the new "album detailed view" proposed by Matt in his first post, which I understand it's a completely new view and not a developement of the current "album thumbnail" view, as I'm proposing.

In the following link you can see an example as to how I would like to have the "album thumbnail" view:

http://stat.[web site removed].com/ratings/ratings.shtml?action=lastupdates&Volume=1

Thank you.

Havana

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2003, 03:39:15 pm »

A Media Center taskbar toolbar would be ever so cool.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2003, 03:53:50 pm »

just a suggestion to NocodeUk, can u strike out items in the list as/when they are implemented. Would give an idea of how much progress was made and is left to do.

Great job on making the list.

crowfan

• Galactic Citizen
  • For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you.
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2003, 04:06:32 pm »

Yeah, great job Adam.

This is the first time mentioning this request, but I thought this was the best place to do it.

I would like to see the CD Labeler feature worked on a little. I know that this is probably a low-priority item, but there are more configurability options that I'd like to see. For example, I'd like to be able to remove the "quotes" from around the song titles, and I'd like to be able to remove extra frames from the pre-formatted templates (even if I go into the full Label Editor, I can't delete the extra frames).

Thanks...

crow
"It's going to be a trilogy."   Robert Jordan, circa 1989

jleerigby

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2003, 05:40:51 pm »

Great Job Adam.

I think it would be nice if JimH locked the thread again and allowed comments in another thread.  It was really nice for awhile to look at a clean, well maintained thread that gave me a quick picture of what has been requested / implemented.

Opening up the thread for comments kinda defeats the object of the great work you just did.

Well done boy.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2003, 05:43:46 pm »

I have a smartlist defined to have MC make a list of random favorites (80 minutes worth) and copy the outcome to a new playlist and burn it to a CD, this way I have a record of what songs are on all my mix CDs. (I don't want repeats on my Mixes, so it's more like 'My Personal Favorites' radio station)  I keep all of these playlists in a playlist group called Mix CDs.  I would like it if I could add a rule to my original smartlist that would say 'do not include any tracks that are in the playlist group Mix CDs.  As it is now, I can only select the individual playlists to exclude, not the whole group.  Therefore, i have to update the smartlist every time after I create a new playlist, very tedious.

I just thought of one more (and I think it's a good one :)).

When this smartlist includes a 'live' recording I get this abrupt applause starting and ending at the beginning and end of the track and it's kind of annoying.  I could fade it in and out for each 'live' track, but then when I listen to the album as a whole, that sounds bad also.  So, here's my suggestion...

Add an option to fade in/out only live tracks (as determined somewhere in the tag info) unless followed by another live track.  This way, they only fade in/out when not in full album playback mode.

{wrings hands together with an evil smirk on face}  >:( "This will finally complete my plan to RULE THE WORLD!!!"

Whoops, did I say that out loud?
pretend this is something funny

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2003, 05:55:42 pm »

JLee,

I respectfully disagree.  NoCode's work is still nice and organized at the top, but all of the comments can be kept in the same place.  Nice and easy.

If NoCode was the super-human translator I think he is. ;)  He can keep his list up to date, both with comments made here, and with changes J River has implemented already.  One nice, convenient place for all our v10 needs. :)
pretend this is something funny

cct1

• World Citizen
  • I like shiny things
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2003, 10:13:08 am »

And I have a suggestion to everyone contributing to the thread:  Once Nocode adds your suggestion to the master list  (He is adding them in red, so they're easy to find), delete your original post--it will keep it less cluttered in here, and that way only stuff not on the list will be in thread--it will make it easier for everyone.  He's already got my stuff on there, so poof goes my post...it would be nice to keep this thread active, but still at one page length.

Jim, this thread has "sticky" written all over it... ;)

NoCodeUK

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2003, 10:42:58 am »

cct1 you are a mindreader...I was gonna suggest the exact same thing :)

Adam

ChicoSelfs

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2003, 05:25:45 pm »

One request, add support for APE v2 tags on MP3 files instead of the ID3V2.. pleasseee ? In one mp3 file have the normal ID3V1 for the normal tagging and APEV2 to the extra tagging
Made in Portugal

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2003, 05:36:45 pm »

Here's is a long standing bug...

Kill the capitalization of extensions

example:
D:\temp\Andrew Lloyd Webber - The Premiere Collection - 04 - Don't Cry For Me Argentina.OGG

10-27

MachineHead

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2003, 06:33:41 pm »

One request, add support for APE v2 tags on MP3 files instead of the ID3V2.. pleasseee ? In one mp3 file have the normal ID3V1 for the normal tagging and APEV2 to the extra tagging

My oh my, I'm not the only one here who understands how groundbreaking this could be from a commercial player. This would be one of my biggest requests.

JNKH

• World Citizen
  • I love Media Center
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2003, 08:14:12 pm »

My v10 request

a) Easier Print Catalog function- so that we can file our CD library.

b) Better cut & paste for extracting album titles from web pages into YADB data entry

c) Better burning organization- help organize burning of songs across multiple CD

d) Database and tracking of burned CDs so that it can be retrieved and burn again.  For example a log?

LonWar

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2003, 10:03:04 pm »

1 small little request.

If in the Image view in the action window, When you select a different album, the AW should display that albums cover art with out having to select a track...

Listening to:

'Save Our Souls' from 'Theatre Of Pain' by 'Mötley Crüe' on Media Center 10.0
-

Ce.D

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2003, 08:23:25 am »

Add accents tolerance in search bar (compare keywords on ASCII-7 basis)
Great piece of soft, guys!

xen-uno

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2003, 08:38:15 am »

Alternate file naming format (selectable like EAC)

I use ARTIST - ALBUM - TRACK# - NAME for artists/groups

Would like to use ALBUM - TRACK# - ARTIST - NAME for soundtracks

10-27

Code,
If you would like some help compiling and maintaining all these feature requests into the main lists, let me know...I'm available (and cheap too).

MachineHead

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2003, 08:41:17 am »

xen

You can add your own and it should remember it. But I can see where you're going with this.

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2003, 10:09:30 am »

I recomend getting playing now out of the tree. It would look so much nicer and reduce the messiness of the tree if it were completely implemented into the action window. and that in turn would give added legitimacy to the action window.

I think the list of playing now could stay in the action window (with the option to show it as a list in the main area) and the visualisations could be a collapsable part of the main area (just like the panes are now. And perhaps it would be cool to be able to have the visualisations and the panes be visible together).

I'd love to see the playlists changed to only show depending on their media type (like the view schemes are at the moment) too. Anything that would simplify the tree even further.

And how about having the icons in the categories bar, having pull down menus where you could choose which view scheme you want for each media type. That would virtually eliminate the need for the media library in the tree

Bri

NoCodeUK

« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2003, 12:35:04 pm »

xen,

If you could that would be great as I only have part time PC access atm as Ive just moved ad haven't got the PC properly set up yet.  The cable went in to day so should be back FT soon but for the moment!!

Adam

NoCodeUK

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2003, 04:18:31 am »

Bump!  I will try and get back on to this today.  I have been busy with a video editing job over the weekend so haven't really been on the net but hey I am back at work now so have plenty of time!! ;D

Adam

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2003, 07:47:44 am »

1)  More "embedded" audible support would be real nice.  I currently have to manually create an artist folder, a book (i.e. album) subfolder, then I have to copy the files from Audible Manager into the correct folder, import them in MC, and edit the tags (which are not correct by default -- the fields are wrong.)  This is a pain compared to ripping a CD, which does most if not ALL of this automatically.

2)  A better system of choosing YADB ablum information.  As it is, you have no way of seeing what the tag information is before selecting the file, so multiple entries require a trial and error procedure of selecting one, taking a look at it, selecting another, etc.  It would be much more elegant to be able to see all the tag information BEFORE actually having to make a selection, which would avoid having to wipe out the current information just to see if another entry is "better."

3)  Fix Media Server's problem with showing album art on the "Playing Now / Track Info" screen (which does not work with 9.1.)

4)  As already mentioned, it would be nice to be able to edit tags via Media Server, but I'm not clear how complicated this would be given that two machines could be editing the tags at the same time.

Larry

Chris Shaw

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2003, 09:19:48 am »

When displaying image slideshows, it would be great if they could be "kept alive" slightly. A common way of doing this is to add a slow zoom in or out, pinned randomly at the top left, top centre or top right. I think iPhoto does this and it looks really nice.

Deivit

• I find your interest interesting...
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2003, 09:53:05 am »

2)  A better system of choosing YADB ablum information.  As it is, you have no way of seeing what the tag information is before selecting the file, so multiple entries require a trial and error procedure of selecting one, taking a look at it, selecting another, etc.  It would be much more elegant to be able to see all the tag information BEFORE actually having to make a selection, which would avoid having to wipe out the current information just to see if another entry is "better."

It works this way now in V.10  :)

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2003, 07:45:38 pm »

It works this way now in V.10  :)

That's good news.  I've been waiting a bit to move to 10 -- perhaps I'll go ahead and do it so as to avoid making suggestions that are already taken care of.

Larry

Zarius

• World Citizen
  • Addicted to smilies.
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2003, 12:09:32 am »

Howdy all,
Just started using MediaCenter last week and been having a great time -efficiently- organising my music for once :) I had a large list of suggestions, but MediaCenter has shown it's worth by proving that it can do what I was hoping for :) ... just have to work out how most of the time.  A few things I'm pretty confident aren't there (that I think should) are listed below.

*Custom thumbnail sizes would be really handy... as both the large and very large thumbnails both leave a huge amount of space on the right-hand side in my normal view (with a 1024x768 screen resolution), space is wasted both with or without the treeview visible.  Medium icons fit across the screen nicely, but I'd like them a little bigger to make full use of screen real estate.

*A Hot-Key to jump to the search dialog in the current view, unlike CTRL-F which changes back to the media library (the hot-key should make everything typable as well, rather than clickable, as if one wanted to click, one has to put the mouse pointer there anyway).

* (mentioned before, eleborated) Also a longer search bar, more prominent placing (the current v10.0.18 placing is almost hidden) above the panes (running the whole top of genre/album/artist, or whatnot is in the panes) as this wouldn't take much room, but would be prominent and easy to read for longer search criteria.

*BUG? Album Thumbnail View : typing the album view doesn't jump to appropiate entry, as happens in the list views (ie type m, jumpes to first 'm' song, type o quickly after and it jumps to first 'mo' song)... seems a little weird that this isn't consistent across the views.

*I attempted to use the "Update tags from library" menu option, and it told me I couldn't do this, as I'd turned off tag updating in the options - the only tag option I could find is "Update tags when file info changes" - when this is on I can use the "Update tags from library" option - however this seems redudant, since if the tags update whenever the info changes... why would I want to manually update the tags?  I thought the "update tags" option would have been so that I could have the autoupdate option off (thereby saving the massive amount of time taken if I change lots of info) and select "update tags" for the lot and leave it to run for however long it takes.

*BUG? When filtering the playlist, if you delete all shown (filtered) files the playlist clears and playback stops.  EG I added a playlist of all the songs I haven't heard yet, but noticed an album I didn't want to play in there, so I typed it into the filter and attempted to remove only them from the playlist. (I had to work around it by deleting all but one, then unfiltering and deleting the last song from the full list).

*(mentioned in part before) Party Mode: doesn't stop users from deleting entries in the library (bug?) also some other destructive options are still left open... eg Clear Library, delete tree items, etc. Have options for the party mode, different levels or things you can secure, ultimately being able to stop everything but searching and queuing.

Okay... so I still had a few more than I realised :)  Though I do love the program as is, these would just make it better.
---
Zarius. ( 23 days to go in the trial and wanting to buy already :] )

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2003, 12:50:16 am »

I just bought MC 10 and love it so far. Many improvements and I hope more to come.

I have some requests for MC 10 TV playback.

1. Integration with some service like Guide Plus. Once configured, it can download the TV listings from online. Note that many customers of MC have subscription to such service (all ATI AIW customers, for example). Even if these services are not sold with MC; if customer has such a subscription, MC should be able to use it. Current option of looking at TV Guide listings or Yahoo TV webpages is not acceptable.

2. **BUG** When closed captions are enabled in TV Playback and if they are on for some time; you see words that are misspelled, overlapped or just plain jumbled. This was also present in MC Version 9.

3. Have support for something like DScalar for ATI tuners. This is probably not MC issue but I am reporting it here just in case there is another solution.

Bean

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2003, 01:47:03 am »

I would like to have a "kid’s mode".

It should be able to start in this mode, and the user (kids) should not be able to change anything except the volume and witch songs they want to play. It should also be in thumbnails view, as all kids can't read yet.
Also they should need a password to get out of this mode

"all kids love to play with our settings"  

ThatAdamGuy

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama's iguana!
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2003, 03:16:11 am »

To expound upon someone's mention of cd label improvements:
- Ability to edit, move, re-color text
- Ability to see fonts in selection screen before choosing one

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2003, 06:51:12 am »

A long standing request that would save a lot of time:

* Watched folders, like in Musicmatch and Winamp. Whenever you import, have MC remember the path, and give you the option of checking the contents of that folder at a defined interval, and do the import in the background.

* Combine the update and import functions - I rarely do one without the other. You could put all the update check boxes in the import dialog. Since both functions require searching the library for existing or missing files, this can be done with practically no performance penalty. My captive audience of naive users has a hard time telling the difference between update & import -both are ways of "updating" the library.

skidoo

• World Citizen
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2003, 09:02:53 am »

1. Integration with some service like Guide Plus. Once configured, it can download the TV listings from online. Note that many customers of MC have subscription to such service (all ATI AIW customers, for example). Even if these services are not sold with MC; if customer has such a subscription, MC should be able to use it. Current option of looking at TV Guide listings or Yahoo TV webpages is not acceptable.

I second this. In fact, you guys would really have something if you could implement a guide GUI better than Guide Plus. I use Guide Plus because, as far as I'm aware, it's the only thing available. I have an ATI 9000 plugged into the VGA port on a 42" plasma. This is in my den (primary TV), and I would LOVE to use Media Center to watch TV, but currently TV in MC is just not practical. The bundled ATI stuff is way better (especially if you ugrade their MMC suite to the latest version).

skidoo

• World Citizen
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2003, 09:12:02 am »

I'd also like to throw in a vote for more features in Media Server. Most importantly (as has been requested already) the ability for clients to update the library on the server. Particularly playlists.

ThatAdamGuy

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama's iguana!
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2003, 09:19:28 am »

I'd like the auto "Recently Imported" list to serve actually as a group, just like "Recent Playing Now's"... e.g., I'd see the last
  • imports listed.

Also, I'd like there to be a visual distinction between tracks listed as part of a library, and tracks listed as part of a playlist.

samarah88

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Go Bucks!
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2003, 03:11:23 pm »

Offline Files...I currently have a sequential index of my CD collection and I have the information in an Excel file.

I would love to rip the tag info only and mark the CD as offline, add a tag field for CD# and use MC as my offline DB instead of Excel. I don't plan to rip every CD into MC but I would like to see my entire collection in one place.

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2003, 08:42:01 pm »

Hairstyle: When jumping from MegaMe to Hairstyle, there should be a way to place the currently playing track in the "first position".  Either the first thumbnail or the top of the list.  Move up or down from there.

Hairstyle: Now it always starts with a Menu page.  I liked it better the way MC9.1 works.  Cycle MegaMe-Full Screen-Hairstyle when pressing the Menu button on the remote.

Galley

• Galactic Citizen
  • Insert witty text here
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2003, 12:45:53 am »

I would like to see tag editing support for .m4a and .m4p iTunes files.

<see File Formats>

Quisp

• Galactic Citizen
  • Dol Sot Bi Bim Bap
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2003, 12:27:05 am »

I'd like to be able to sort by artist lastname as it is done in every record store, CD store, bookstore, online search result set, yellow page listing, white page listing, index, etc....without having to create a new field, copying the contents of the name field to the new sort field, removing everything up to the first space, cutting it, clicking at the end of the field, typing a space and then a comma and then pasting the cut contents.

I'd like better support for streaming.

<see Radio/Streaming>

aac support, I don't have too much from iTunes, the music store, but I'm all for a format that takes up less space than mp3 and sounds better and works on my iPod. I don't care about cost. I realize how much it costs to buy the amount of harddisk space that would be required to house my lossless compressed files and two versions of lossy compressed files. I also know how much money would be saved using a more efficient compression algorhythm.

Full support for FLAC

<see File Formats>

CUE list support

<see CD Rip/Burn>

It would be great if someone involved with the product design realized that you can't pigeonhole audio management terminology into image management and reach a large audience. I'm assuming this "oversight" was purposeful to get MC out the door quicker using existing standards. Now that you have the different media modes, it should be pretty straight forward to present information differently depending on the mode. (From a design standpoint anyway...)

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2003, 01:23:29 am »

A "Copy CD" function would negate my current need for Nero.  This is a function that automates the process of making an exact duplicate of a CD -- i.e. no "pause between tracks" settings, no "eliminate silence" settings, but rather just a straight duplicate so you end up with an identical CD.

Larry

<see CD Rip/Burn>

xen-uno

« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2003, 11:52:54 am »

I've added a flag to posts (this is WIP) as you can see. I hope no one minds. It will help brother Code and I keep a handle on all these feature requests. Read the green text on the first post (in case you missed it).

Rx

Zarius

• World Citizen
  • Addicted to smilies.
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2003, 04:25:31 pm »

Hmm, I do have a tendency to write long suggestions... so here's a summarised list :)

* Custom thumbnail sizes.

* Hotkey to jump to search dialog (and stay in same view, unlike ctrl-f)

* Longer search bar, more prominent position (one idea - above view panes)

* Album Thumbnail View - allow typing to jump to appropriate album

* Control over details shown next to/below thumbnails, saved per view scheme (eg Album/Artist/Year next to 1 albums view, Album/Genre/# of tracks below another)

* Ability to 'Update Tags from Library' without 'Update tags when file info changes' option on.

* Options to lockdown party mode to various degrees, all the way to nothing but play/queue.

* Draggable view pane columns, like normal columns (much quicker than going through wizard.)

* Resizable view pane columns (eg I may not need much room for the Genre column)

Sam

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2003, 11:11:56 pm »

It would be a great convenience if MC would automatically change XP's Display Properties to activate a monitor (TV) when MC switches to Hairstyle or Full Screen.

nila

« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2003, 10:52:35 pm »

*cough* bump! :)

LisaRCT

« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2003, 01:14:47 am »

auto-disable screen saver when watching TV or movies, restore when done viewing

Zarius

• World Citizen
  • Addicted to smilies.
« Reply #49 on: December 25, 2003, 05:18:14 am »

A couple more :)

Summary:
*Double-clicking on the playing now song info shouldn't close the AW tag info window when it's already open.
*Be able to copy view schemes, just like folders in explorer - rightclick/copy or drag-drop/ctrl.

A little more detail:
*Double-clicking on the playing now song (above the progess bar) brings up the tag info box for that song... however if the tag info box is already up, it closes it (should stay open, since that's why I'm double-clicking).

*Copying view schemes - for when wants a view scheme the same as another, but with maybe a very small change (or a complete copy under a different branch.) Maybe do it just like explorer... allow copy & paste with the right click menu, or use the ctrl key whilst dragging and dropping.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up