INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: .65 Crashing Hard  (Read 1217 times)

mickjp

• Recent member
.65 Crashing Hard
« on: February 10, 2004, 08:54:02 pm »

I'm not sure if this is a bug or something I'm doing wrong but;

Running .65 (Registered) and am ripping a couple of CD's at a time.
In the advanced RIpping Settings Expert  Options (for which I can't find any info in teh help file) I have Encode on the fly disabled, and each of the three drop down boxes set at 2.  THe process works fine for a few discs - rips at an awesome rate with MP3 encoder at 192K - then it crashes hard when loading a disc.  To the point that my system is unusable.  I have had to do a hard reboot into safe mode and remove Media Center from the sysem and go into registry editor and remove any JRiver items.  THen after rebooting I use Norton Utilities WinDoctor to clean the system up.  

I've had to do this a couple of times in the past 2 days.

Hopefully I just have a setting wrong, but I'd appreciate the help.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re:.65 Crashing Hard
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2004, 09:43:14 pm »

This could be a pure hardware problem.

Are your CD drives on a different IDE channel from your hard disks?  Do you have master and slave set correctly?  Are they on the right connector?

mickjp

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2004, 11:49:12 pm »

Yes Jim,  They were factory installed by HP, and I checked also.  They have been working fine for other applications.  The machine is only a couple of months old.  One drive is a DVD reader, the other a DVD/CD writer.

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2004, 05:54:18 pm »

I don't know if 66/67 cured your probs but next time you do some multi CD ripping you should open up Task Manager and go to the Performance tab. Look at the Physical Memory section and note the Available count while your ripping. Does it ever come close to zero?...and what does CPU Usage History show before a crash? Faulty hardware or low-no memory could be the culprit. It also could be the PIO/DMA setting of your drives (do a forum search on PIO) which can be an issue with W2k (primarily) and possibly XP. Needs to be set to DMA.

10-27

mickjp

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2004, 11:47:23 am »

66 didn't, perhaps 67 will.  As for the DMA - its enabled for both drives.  I notice from another thread
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=19174
that other people are having problems too.

THanks for the help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up