INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using a PC as a music server - Upgrade sound card???  (Read 1548 times)

molarman

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Smiling Increases Your Face Value
Using a PC as a music server - Upgrade sound card???
« on: February 21, 2004, 11:59:20 am »

I just assembled a new box to be used as an mp3 server and hooked it up to my stereo system.  I am using Media Center as the player.  Althlough the sound quality is fair, it could be better - especially at the low end.  The bass response is just not there totally - not enough depth to the music.  I am using an onbaord sound card.  

How can I solve this issue?  Would purchasing a better sound card most likely solve this problem?  Does "Creative" or some other company make a device to be placed between the PC and the stereo amplifier to increase fidelity?

TIA.

Radman

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
Re:Using a PC as a music server - Upgrade sound card???
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2004, 12:49:36 pm »

I built a box for the same purpose, and did not include a sound card. Rather, I used a motherboard with an optical SPDIF out (there is 5.1 sound on the mobo, but I don't use it). I route the optical out to my Pioneer AV receiver, and let the receiver do the D/A conversion. The sound is absolutely indistinguishable from the CD's(mp3 encoding @ 320kbps). I am listening to the audio on a fairly "high-end" system in a dedicated media room. There are a number of cards with digital out that you could add. However, the encode rate could be a sound quality issue if less than at least 192kbps.

molarman

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Smiling Increases Your Face Value
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2004, 04:09:16 pm »

This board has SPDIF out as well, but my Onkyo receiver does not have an optical input and my mp3's are at 128 kbps.  Suggestions?

modelmaker

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2004, 11:00:43 pm »

You can hook up to your stereo via USB using this 40$ D/A converter; http://www.impactacoustics.com/product.asp?cat%5Fid=1007&sku=22327  It gets the signal out of the computer case before converting it to analog, thus avoiding capturing RF interferance from inside the case. It's basic but it works and it's a cheap way to get a high quality signal to your stereo. I have a SB Extigy ($150) which is USB connected and I have had no problems using USB.

If you have several USB devices operating simultaneously, you might want to consider adding a USB 2.0 PCI card to your computer if it's not 2.0 equipted. 2.0 is about 40 times faster.

edit: Sorry I just noticed that one won't be available 04/22/04, but there are several similar devices out there ranging in price from about $40 - $75. Google "Digital/Analog converters".

Listening to: 'Lover's Crime' from 'T-Bird Rhythm' by 'The Fabulous Thunderbirds' on Media Center 9.0
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

marketability

• World Citizen
  • eat!
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2004, 08:26:37 am »

I think a major contributor to the lack of bass oomph is the compression you are using.

IMHO 128 MP3 is too compressed - try a few tracks on APE? or 320 MP3

kiwi

• Don't worry, be happy...
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2004, 08:32:34 am »

There are lots of options for better sound cards, but the real benefit comes from both the sound card and better source.  If you're going to go up to 320kbps mp3, you might as well go with APE.  Then you'll never have to rerip when the next format comes along.  Hard drives are super cheap these days.

As for sound cards, there are lots and lots of options.  SPDIF (as long as you can use ASIO or Kernel streaming) will work, even with lower end cards.  And there are a number of excellent cards ranging from $100 or so and going up.

kiwi

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2004, 08:46:22 am »

Make sure that the volume out on your PC is turned up.  

Some cards have headphone and line out jacks.  Line out is better for this purpose.

wtf

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2004, 11:11:27 am »

Check out www.midiman.com.  Their products are popular for home theater and music PCs, and reasonably priced.  I have two of their cards for those purposes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up