INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Server & MC database interaction  (Read 822 times)

wizbang

• Recent member
  • I might be a porcupine.
Media Server & MC database interaction
« on: February 28, 2004, 10:57:52 am »

Hi,

Can someone explain to me how Media Server and MC clients interact with the library database.

I have an MP3 server which I control remotely to play music thru my HiFi and then I also run MC on my home office desktop to play music on my PC speakers (via Media Server).

When I select tracks to play on my office PC should the MC library be updated to reflect that that track has been played i.e. increment the "Number Plays" element? The "Number Plays" count associated with each track only seems to show the number of plays that the track has been played on the MP3 Server, not the total of both PC's even though every track is served via the Media Server application...

Is there any interaction between the library database and Media Server? I've also noticed that playlists generated on the office PC are lost when I quit MC :-( I've now learnt to create playlists on the MP3 Server and then they are available to all MC clients.

Is there a way for me to create "local" playlists that remain across invocations of MC using a remote library i.e. a playlist on the MC client being served by Media Server that doesn't disappear when I quit the client?

Its still a fabulous application that beats the competition hands down, but there are so many frustrating anomalies with the interface.... ?

salsbst1

• World Citizen
Re:Media Server & MC database interaction
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2004, 01:51:28 pm »

Agreed on all counts.

I (who have a linux file server that currently houses both my library files and my media files) would really like to see the ability to have  "library server".  I want the server to manage the library files in order to avoid database corruption, but I'd like each client to be able to access the media files directly from the Linux server.

Robert Taylor

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living in a Smokeless Zone...
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2004, 05:33:22 am »

I'm still hanging out for this to become a reality in MC.

There is not much interaction between the library database and clients currently.

JRiver have hinted that they may make some changes to allow the database to support multi-client read-write access to the database, but I haven't heard anything for quite some time.

I'm not holding my breath. I too make sure I create playlists etc. on the server. It sure would be nice to have number of plas, last played etc. updated on the server from the client(s), wouldn't it?
Cheers
Rob

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2004, 02:18:08 pm »

We're still working on this. Too much to do and too little time. We'll get there.

j

Quisp

• Galactic Citizen
  • Dol Sot Bi Bim Bap
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2004, 06:02:01 pm »

This is great news! Media Sever has become quite an important part of MC now that I'm 1/4 of the way through with ripping my cds.
Pages: [1]   Go Up