INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Re:POST IPOD SUPPORT QUESTIONS HERE  (Read 17389 times)

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:POST IPOD SUPPORT QUESTIONS HERE
« on: March 01, 2004, 11:11:22 am »

Hello All,  

For anyone who is new to MC, please be sure to get the latest version from our downloads page or from the first thread on this board.

An excellent help file (thanks Adam) on using MC and iPod can be found here:

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~ashawley01/      

For additional information, please check the previous help thread at:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=19190

For any issues not covered, please post below and someone will respond ASAP.  Please copy and paste your system info from MC Help and include the version of the Portable Drive Plugin you use.    

Thanks,  

Steve

ph_bradley

• World Citizen
  • Shagadelic Baby!!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2004, 05:06:36 pm »

jany ideas when it will be implemented? and who is bendra?
Welcome to flipmode

SteveG

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2004, 05:12:45 pm »

Not sure on both questions.

Steve

duesy

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
iPod not playing AAC files
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2004, 05:16:03 pm »

I am able to successfully import AAC clips into MC and transfer to iPod. However, iPod will not play these files and eventually locks up. Track name, etc. appears okay on display; in the case of Play All, iPod will run through list in endless loop attempting to play each track. MC iPod interface displays subject files with correct file size and file type (m4p). Also able to play the same tunes from my desktop computer while reading form the iPod! What's more, same files imported to iPod from iTunes jukebox player work fine. It seems that MC is passing something that iPod cannot read? Using MC 10.0.76. Please help, thanks.

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2004, 05:27:20 pm »

Hi Steve

After a reinitialize and resynch all playlists went accross fine and it appears that all songs transferred ok and are browsable on the ipod. I will try a resynch later on after playing some files to see if the problem occurs again.

Thanks

Bri

Rien van Ham

• Recent member
  • I might be a porcupine.
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2004, 02:00:17 pm »

Hello Steve,

With every new build i'm getting less problems! But still I'm having 3-5 crashes in a hour. I think it's caused by the many disk-actions I do.

What do I do?
I accidently deleted files from my Ipod. Now, every CD I ripped in the past, is incomplete. Ons most CD's 3-5 numbers are missing.
1. I investigate whick numbers are missing (IPOD->albums->choose CD)
2. Write down the numbers of the missing tracks
3. RIP the missing numbers from the CD (with iTunes... It recognises EVERY cd, where MC doesn't)!
4. With MC, send the missing files to the IPOD
5. With MC, make a backup of the CD to my harddisk (IPOD->albums->download to pc)
6. After editing some tags, make a final copy of the numbers on another directory of my harddisk (drag and drop from within MC).
(Now they are ready for a backup on DVD).

Every 10-20 minutes...... boef.... MC crashes. It looks like MC crashes every X disk-actions.

Succes! and thank you.

Rien

Madcow

• World Citizen
  • moo!
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2004, 04:50:23 pm »

Everything's gone horribly wrong for me in the last couple of builds.  I've just had the following experience:

- Did fresh initialisation of iPod.  All looks fine.
- Listened to some tracks, applied a few ratings.
- Tried to sync.  Apparently the playlist is too big to be transferred (strange, since nothing's changed since the last sync).  OK, so I delete an album from my main iPod playlist.
- Everything syncs.  I can see it transferring the tracks for which the ratings changed.
- Check iPod.  Disaster: the majority of my tracks are missing.  Entire albums, gone.  Some artists entirely missing.

What's going on, Steve?  Everything was wonderful until a few builds ago.  The above was witnessed under 10.0.82.

SteveG

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2004, 04:56:09 pm »

duesy,

What is the duration of the clips?  Can you  play full length files on iPod? If not, transfer one AAC file to iPod with iTunes. Then reinitialize iPod from within MC and try transfering AAC files and see if they play. After you transfer a file with iTunes one time, you will not need to do this again unless you fully reformat (not reinitialize) your iPod.

Bri,

Glad you are all set.

Rien,

I can try to reproduce this, but have not had success so far. If you find a reproduceable pattern, let me know.

STeve

duesy

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2004, 06:27:07 pm »

AAC clips vary in length from about 3 to 7 minutes. I am able to play full length files on iPod. I will try your test, but even if successful after initializing, etc. problem would be the hassle of needing two jukebox programs to import files: MC and iTunes. Many of the AAC files are included in Playlists, so ensuring same after importing is very important. MC is claimed to be the one-size-fits-all, touting iPod support?

jt

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2004, 07:25:27 pm »

With MC 10.0.80 and 10.0.81, I've had problems syncing to my iPod (3G 30gig).

The first time I sync after initialising, it's fine. But if I  change a rating of a song on the iPod then re-sync, that song is missing from the iPod and also all my playlists have dissappeared! They do however still appear when viewing the iPod from within MC. It doesn't matter how many times I try and re-sunc after that, the playlists don't come back!

duesy

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2004, 08:25:40 pm »

I'm sure many will agree that this is not a happy situation. MC claims iPod will operate with its jukebox. We're seeing several situations that suggest this is not the case. I hope MC developers will make the iPod interface 100% prior to release!

ipodman

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2004, 08:53:02 pm »

Grrrrrrr...........  

Ipod sync was working perfectly for me too

Now it sync sproperly on the intial sync.  Then if I resync it later, all of my playlists on the ipod are gone.  The only playlists on the ipod are a blank and the "on the go".  Interestingly, Media center still reads the ipod as having all my files and playlists.  They may be there but I cant access them

I have had to initialize this stupid thing like 6 times in the past week.  It is getting really annoying.

I have all the appropriate check boxes checked...

Steve... any ideas?

help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :'( :'(

duesy

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2004, 09:21:06 pm »

Ditto for me. Behavior of the MC 10.xx interface to iPod inconsistent. I upgraded"from a satisfactory MJ 8.xx environment to MC solely due to claims of iPod support. I hope development can make this work.

Dan Da Man

• World Citizen
  • I rule da-Man.com!
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2004, 09:59:00 pm »

This is only a feature request that would save me a bit of reinitializing from time to time.

First, my setup.  I have iTunes just so I can use the Music Store from time to time.  I have told iTunes to not manage iPods, so it does not come up when I put it in the dock, thankfully.

However, if the iPod is in the dock when I start up iTunes, it still recognizes it and seems to interface with it OK.  But when I return to MC, even if I kill iTunes seconds after it finds the iPod, my playlists from MC synch are now gone.

Resynching will not do.  The MC synch does not give any errors, but there's still no playlists.  (Well, there is a blank named playlist with nothing in it as well as the On-The-Go.)  So I have to reinitialize.

If it's at all possible, I'd be so happy if you could build into the synch or another menu option to correct this problem.  If not, then I'll just have to remember iPod and iTunes are bad.

So, remember, this is only a feature request.  No major problem that I cannot live without.

Most of the times i remember, but today I didn't and so the next while is going to reinitialize.  And I don't think this PCMCIA USB2 card works right on my laptop, so init and synch will take a couple hours.

Dan "da Man"

nel

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2004, 12:58:45 am »

With MC 10.0.80 and 10.0.81, I've had problems syncing to my iPod (3G 30gig).

The first time I sync after initialising, it's fine. But if I  change a rating of a song on the iPod then re-sync, that song is missing from the iPod and also all my playlists have dissappeared! They do however still appear when viewing the iPod from within MC. It doesn't matter how many times I try and re-sunc after that, the playlists don't come back!

I experience the exact same situation. Everytime I rate a song within MC the next sync with the iPod loose every playlist (I haven't checked for the file but I assume the same as above). Whe I do the transfer, MC shows a dialog box 'Transfer complete' after transferring 1 song and then sync the playlist. I use 10.0.79 and this behavior has been constant since the new sync system introduction but I wasn't able to sort out a pattern before this build.

Nel.

LarryJoe

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2004, 04:39:28 am »

Steve - just thought I would follow up.  I had been using itunes for a week with no problems and thought I would give the latest build of MC a shot.  To get MC to see the ipod with iTunes installed, I needed to change iTunes to disk mode.  This is where the trouble began.  I got the same MC error as usual after.  Then when I launched iTunes after putting in disk mode, iTunes would crash.  I figured it had something to do with disk mode.  Since it wash crashing immediately on startup, I uninstalled it and reinstalled it to get back to defaults, where disk mode would be unchecked.  I then formatted and began the iTunes synch.  Somewhere over 50% of the synch, iTunes crashed hard and I had to reboot manually to exit.  What I was left with was an iPod with a folder and exclamation point.  Tried resetting the ipod and the hard drive would click nonstop, give me the folder, go back to the apple logo and then the folder, over and over while clicking.  I let the battery die and then reattached to the dock.  The ipod would only Disk Mode with a check stating OK to disconnect.  The PC would not mount the ipod.  After many tries of diiferent things and a visit to the apple support site, the only conclusion I could come to is that the hard drive is dead.  Strange sequence of events over the past few weeks.  My ipod is on it's way to apple for RMA.  It is under a year old, but over 90 days, so they wanted me to pay $30+ shipping, but offered me an extra year applecare warranty for $60.  I guess this is how they get you.  $30 for one time shipping or $60 with free shipping and an extra year.

Looks like a hardware issue after all.  Looks like I will be back to MC in a few weeks as the program of choice with my ipod.  The biggest thing I liked about iTunes was the quality of the sound out of my PC, it was clearly richer than MC.  This has to be tweakable in MC.  Thought I would followup and will do so again in a few weeks.  Thanks for the help.

LJ

SouthsideIrish

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2004, 07:16:10 am »

I am having the same syncing problem with .80 and .81. I have no problems syncing as long has the ratings haven't changed, but once they have been then I lose all of the playlists, and only have a few hundred songs visible on the iPod.

Bill McNair

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2004, 08:23:00 am »

Although I'm primarily a Mac person, I use MC to manage all of my music on my media server, and of course, on my iPod.

While checking out some updated articles in Apple's Knowledge Base, I stumbled on this one:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93731

It tells you how to change any AAC file into a bookmark-able file (a la Audible files). I'm not sure how useable this will be in the PC world, because the "file type" they are referring to is not actually the file name extension, but rather an internal code that has historically been used in the Macintosh world to identify the type of file.

Posted here for fun & knowledge! :)

Best,
Brad

Jonny5

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2004, 08:30:48 am »

Hello, I have a quick question about the forced audio conversion thing when syncing my iPod.

I'm starting to run out of space on the iPod and I've also noticed the battery life is improved by playing lower bit rate tracks so was thiking of converting all my mp3's to 128k on upload.  Before I clear the iPod and start this lengthy process though I wanted to know if MC will upsample all my low bitrate mp3's to 128k if I do this.  I have some audio books and stand up comedy in mp3 format at 56k.  I dont really want to increase these to 128k as it would take up loads of extra space.  Is there any way to get MC to downsample anything greater than 128 but leave anything below that as it is?

Rien van Ham

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2004, 12:40:43 pm »

Steve,

I can not exactly reproduce it. But in the past 30 minuten, MC crashed 3 times! And not with a messagebox, but a simple ping... and gone!

I was only doing "drag-and-drop"-things with MC: moving MP3 from 1 folder to another (and this CD-based, so abount 15-20 files per move).

Rien

Rien van Ham

• Recent member
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2004, 12:48:49 pm »

Steve,

I could reproduce it!
After EXACTLY 7 drag-and-drops (in my case: move 7 CD's from one folder to another with MC) MC crashes! After a restart, and after 7 moves.... you may guess what happened! And again... and again...

Rien

Penfold

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Lunchlady Doris, have ye got ony grease?
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2004, 01:10:53 pm »

Using a third-party file type editor, you can change an audio file so it works with iTunes' bookmark feature. The same bookmarks work on iPod. They allow you to pick up where you left off when listening to a long audio file.

Oooh.....I have a number of mp3 books that I could convert to AAC & bookmark, thing is, I'm not familiar with the file type they need to change (obviously they're not talking about the file extension) & there doesn't seem to be any program on windoze that could do this...

What would be really nice (but understandably low in the iPod plugins workstack) is if media center could do the conversion & change the file type...possibly enabling bookmarks to be set?!?!? Having used only MC for my iPod since I got it & not having AAC files I have no idea how bookmarks/iTunes work & if it's possible.

Failing that, anyone care to point me in the direction of a windoze program that would reliably change my AAC filetypes for me?

SteveG

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2004, 02:40:08 pm »

Everyone,

The last two builds had a bug which would cause problems when synching if you changed a rating on iPod. This is resolved in tonight's build. Sorry for the problem.

In addition, I briefly tested switching back and forth between iTunes and MC with changes I added today with success.  I did not try any major synching, but after using MC, opened iTunes, transferred a few files and then went back to MC with no problem. Also, synched an iTunes playlist and then synched with MC. The iTunes plalylist disappeared (which is to be expected for now) but if I deselected delete files not in Sync , the files remained. I now have a new idea about how to get iTunes playlists to work with MC. Anyway, test going back and forth if you want, but these results are VERY preliminary and I do not guarantee there will not be problems switching back and forth.

duesy,

Let me try to explain again. AAC files have a hidden protection scheme that iTunes transfers when you transfer a file. Once you have done this one time, you never need to use iTunes again to transfer AAC or anything else unless you want  to. If you do not transfer this initial file, AAC tracks will respond in the way you report. If you want to purchase AAC directly from MC, this is not available. You do not need to import AAC into iTunes to use AAC with MC.

Dan,

If with the latest version iTunes and MC do not play any nicer, and you still are stuck in the same way, try rebuiding the iPod database from MC (this will kill your playlists) and then resynch. This will be faster than a reinitialize.

LarryJoe,

Thanks for the followup. Once you get the new iPod, let me know if there are any remaining MC problems. THanks.

Brad,

Thanks for the tip.

Jonny5,

If you are doing on the fly conversions to iPod, MC will upsample because for some players, failure to do so results in the files being unplayable. Instead, I would recommend leaving (or if you reinitialize then resend) the files you want to not have convert first to the iPod. Then when you sync , if you have conversion on, those files will be skipped because they are already on the iPod.

Penfold,

Maybe this can be added in the future. I do not know of an application to do this.

Rien,

It seems like the problem is not iPod related. Would you mind posting out to the main thread and detail where and to where you are drag and dropping the files so we can replicate and fix this. Thanks for the details.

Steve

duesy

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2004, 03:06:22 pm »

Steve:

Thanks for the thorough status report. We users are fortunate to have such responsive help from the MC tech team!

As for my experiences with AAC, iPod, and MC 10.x, perhaps I should explain in greater detail. For starters, I have avoided iTunes completely except to purchase music. I use MC exclusively for clip management and playback, and do not rely on iTunes to transfer anything. Once AAC clips are downloaded, I move the files to my central server where all other music clips reside. I then use Import Media from MC to fill its audio media library. All clips play fine in this environment, including AAC. Next, I sync various Playlists and/or Artist, Album, whatever, that might include MP3 and AAC. All songs transfer successfully and in fact play back through MC from the iPod.

Okay, now it gets weird: Grab the iPod, select an AAC track either from a Playlist or Artist, hit Play, and no one is home. Clip renders on iPod's screen, but zero playback and iPod eventually locks up. Multiple AAC clips in sequence invoke an endless loop with same end result.

Perhaps I'm missing something from your comments about transferring, etc. but I think I speak for many users when I say that we should be able to treat AAC files as transparently as MP3, which would might require frequent re-sync's, changing of properties including Ratings, importing, etc. If one must establish a unique set of rules to manage AAC files in the MC environment, particularly for use with iPod, I would encourage the team of obviously talented MC developers to expand their efforts in order to ensure seamless treatment of AAC.

Thanks for listening, and I look forward to additional guidance and comments.

SteveG

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2004, 03:55:01 pm »

duesy,

Thanks for the nice reply.  I agree that we should treat AAC as seamlessly as possbile. If some files are not playing on iPod and others are, check the duration for the files as listed in MC and on iPod (as reported by MC). If this value is 0, we have our problem. The next question is what is the filetype for these unplayable files? Also, are their filename's greater than 50 characters? For an accurate guage of the duration of the file, we use Quicktime to open the file. It is sometimes quirky (i.e. if filenames are longer than 50 characters) which results in a mistake in the filelength. If it turns out that this is the problem, I will fix it on Friday. I am out tomorrow.

Steve

duesy

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2004, 04:13:23 pm »

Quck reply before you leave for the day: file duration on iPod is identical to that in MC.

I will look into your other suggestions in due course.

Cheers,

Jack

• Recent member
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2004, 10:40:13 am »

I have "analyzed" my music files for equal playback. How do I get iPod to play these back at the same volume? Just load then from MC into iPod?

Thanks,

Jack

SteveG

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2004, 04:01:11 pm »

Jack,

If you applied Replay Gain in MC, when you transfer the files, this setting will be converted to a comparable setting on iPod which adjusts the file's playback volume on iPod. Check out the right click options for volume adjustments on the iPod drive letter for more features you may want to use.

duesy,

I will check into this more tomorrow.

Steve

BillRaff

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2004, 02:45:17 pm »

A question on playing Audible books through MC. I had not owned any until just recently and want to load them into MC. When I tell MC to search for them it says I need a newer version of RealPlayer. I don't like RP much but went ahead and downloaded the free version. They are still not being found when I search for them though. I also notice RealPlayer doesn't play them by itself. It says it has to install a plugin but fails when it tries to find one. Looking for a little advice from those who are successfully playing them on their iPods.
Thanks.

ADDiCT

• World Citizen
  • I'm a bad llama!
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2004, 02:47:17 am »

Steve,
i'm very happy to say that iPod sync now is working for me - for the first time since .59!

With .84, all of my 400+ smartlists/playlists are transferred correctly to the iPod, and ratings set on the iPod are correctly shown in MC after synching. I think the problem was the bug Madcow was reporting. Thank you very, very much for fixing this (and thanks Madcow for pointing Steve in the right direction - it seems i was looking in the wrong place)!

Now, using my iPod with MC is pure joy (again)! The speed improvements are very nice, as everything related to synching "feels" much faster and much more responsive than with .59

I'm still having a small effect, though: directly after synching, if i click on on the "Playlists" or "Albums" Node inside MC in order to look at the iPod playlists or albums, MC will crash. This is 100% repeatable for me.

If i close and restart MC directly after synching, it won't crash when clicking on the nodes, but i will see one entry with the "strange characters" i was describing several time before. On the iPod, all entries are shown correctly, so i believe this is a bug (maybe not in the plugin, but in MC).

bd6675

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2004, 04:07:31 pm »

When synching my smartlist ( [Last Played]=>=40320 ) with build .84 I have to synch twice to get the tracks to remove from my lastplayed list on my pod (40gb, Win XP SP1).  After the first synch I see that it removes the tracks from the lastplayed smartlist in the MC10 view, however, when I look under the iPod playlist view the lastplayed list still has the tracks.  I synch again and the tracks are gone as they should be from both views (MC10 and iPod).  Any ideas why this is the case?

Thanks,

Chris

Podder

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2004, 05:13:53 pm »

Just completed my restore and ipod updater (1.3.1) and now I'm ready to uploads my songs to Ipod.  Question- when I hit "transfer" in the action window there is an "options" button in the dialog box.  Would I only check off "force file conversion during uploads" if I wanted to convert a file to a different bit rate (under the "quality" tab)?

In other words, if I'm happy the way I already have my music files I don't even need to touch anything in this box.  I used alt preset extreme on alot of files and I assume they will just transfer as is to the Ipod.  Also, what is meant by "normalize 100%"?
Thanks.  

BillRaff

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2004, 08:13:38 am »

Just to follow up on my Audible files transfer question. I found that RealPlay 10 did not work but after uninstalling it and installing version 8 all works.

Penfold

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2004, 01:42:39 pm »

Bug (I think)
  • Update to 10.0.84 on XP SP1,
  • Restore iPod (3G, 40Gb), Initialise for MC, Sync
  • Sync appears to be successful, but only approx 75% of mp3s transferred to iPod.

In addition: errors about being unable to add certain songs to smartlists.
  • Checking iPod/MC confirms amount of files iPod holds as around 75% (3330)
  • Sync again -> MC claims to transfer around 60-70 files according to progress bar, at normal '1st time' speeds (12Mb/sec)
  • Check iPod -> There are around 6-10 NEW files on iPod
This can be carried out ad infinitum, I guess till all my files are picked up...

Personally I think the smartlist errors in step 2 are occurring because certain songs that list contains have not been successfully transferred to iPod.

But everytime I invoke the Holy Trinity (restore, initialise & sync), MC only ever wants to transfer around 3330 instead of the 4800 it should. I should prolly add my library is up to date & seems to be in working order.

Oh & also, if I eject iPod from within MC, 'OK to disconnect' appears on iPod BUT 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon still present in systray, r/clicking brings up the context menu but it refuses to launch anything. Eventually it goes away in it's own time.

ipodman

• Recent member
Ipod still now syncing playlists
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2004, 03:19:47 pm »

Hi I have the latest version of 10  (.084).
When I initially sync the ipod, all it well.  Then, once I edit one rating on the PC or change one  playlist (or edit on the ipod) when I resync, I lose all of my playlists on the ipod (they are listed in MC) but cannot be accessed by me.  

Actually, it doesnt matter if I change a rating.. any time I sync the second time this happens. The ipod I have set to sync only with MC and did not open itunes since reinitialiizng the ipod.

this is like the 10th time I have re-initialized in the past 2 weeks.  I keep hoping each build will be better and I keep having the same problem.

Do you have any idea what can be wrong?  I am getting sick of re-intiailziing and waiting an hour to load up the ipod.  But, I dont want to use itunes unless I have to (although it seems that I may have to)

Please advise!!!

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2004, 09:30:16 pm »

Steve, have you seen this:

http://otto.homedns.org:8888/itunes/iTunesDB.html

it seems the guy has achieved a good understanding of how dynamic playlists are managed.

SteveG

« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2004, 09:30:50 am »

Addict,

Can you email me your iTunesDB with the weird character and tell me what entry appears with those characters for you? (steve @ jriver.com)

Chris,

This is because the smartlist is not getting updated after the tag updates in MC. I will fix this.

Podder,

Yes, you only need to check the "Force file conversions.." if you want files to convert on their way to iPod. This slows transfers down considerably.  In regards to Normalization, do a keyword search for it in the help in MC, there is a detailed description of how it works in there.

BillRaff,

It sounds like you are all set. I will check into why 8 works but not 10.

Penfold,

When you do your sync, does MC alert you to the fact that you have files with the same tag info (meaning the same Name, Artist, Album, Genre and Track Number)? Are there any error codes next to the files that fail or fail to add to smartlists? For files that do not transfer, are they playable within MC?

iPodman,

No one else is reporting this, so it could be hardware or something peculiar about your library. Perahps try another application and be sure that everything works correctly with it to isolate that it is an MC problem.

gpvillamil,

Thanks for the link. I cannot seem to get to it. I will keep trying. At this point, I have a reasonably good understanding of how the dynamic playlists work, the implementation is timeconsuming and a pain and other projects are ahead of this for now. I hope to get to it.

Steve

Penfold

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2004, 01:03:15 pm »

Steve,

It did, for several files, which did have dupe info, these were all corrected. Sync now happy there are no dupes.

Try sync...
After 'Transfer Complete' message:
Handheld error
Failed to add to playlist 'Fav: 1CD (Auto Smartlists(music)-Fav:1 CD:(1 files)
C:\MP3Z\DANCE\Depth Charge\02 - Depth Charge - Shaolin Buddah Finger.mp3

This follows for several smartlists. This one track only, fails to the to the following lists (all default MC smartlists):
Favourites: 1 data CD
Fav: Listened to today
Fav: 4&5 rated
Random: 1 CD

then more files start failing,

"C:\MP3Z\Mash-Ups\get your bootleg on\0104 - dsico - keep it real b1tch.mp3"

The files named above have ratings, 4 & 3 respectively, these files have been successfully transferred to iPod before.

Then another 14 fail from the same album. (These are NOT rated)

I made a wee pretty collage of them in PS for posting but my FTP space appears to be pooched at the moment, I can send it via email if you like?

All my mp3s are playable through MC, checking iPod confirms the above files DO transfer & play correctly. They are not the files once flagged as dupes either.

warner

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2004, 01:39:16 pm »

Steve,

Using ver 10.081. I have the same or similar problem as ipodman. I've been synching with no problem the last few weeks (several times a day).  Then I changed a song's rating on the ipod itself (something I have not done in many months) and after the next sync, all my playlists were gone. Though it appears that all my songs are still on the ipod.  Looks like the same dissappearing playlist problem a few of us had a few months ago that was subsequently fixed.

SteveG

« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2004, 03:03:31 pm »

Penfold,

Try deleting a few of the files that are failing from iPod and then resynch. If it works, I have some ideas on how this could happen.

warner,

Your problem was resolved in 10.0.83. Please get 10.0.84 and I think you will be all set.

sirshambling

• Galactic Citizen
  • real soul lives on....
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2004, 03:50:32 pm »

Can anybody tell me whether the Itrip works with MC 10?

Anything special I should do to make it work?

TIA. John.

Penfold

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2004, 06:05:27 pm »

Thanks for answering Steve,

Had time to play with this tonight.

When I delete the offending files from iPod & sync, I still get the same errors, but the files always transfer..

Now what I have noticed is that the 1st 3 tracks of the album that causes problems have never been loaded to iPod since the restore, & they precede a rated track. (note: although they do not cause smartlist errors). The rated track is the first of the album to produce the smartlist error.

So I tried deleting & resending the entire album to the 'I' drive by r/click -> 'send to I' dialog instead, 2 files didn't go, with error code '80', both tracks were of the 1st 3 mentioned above, but the 3rd went successfully.

Other tracks that generated smartlist errors still generated same errors.  Seems anything that says it's going to sync, does. ('cept for those odd error 80's up there) Still, MC is telling it to only sync some, not all of my files

Another sync - 2 file deletion errors to begin (they had numerical filenames) both no error code

Still same playlist errors, feck.

Sooooo...on the off chance...

Reinitialise iPod (within MC)

Attempt to send entire mp3 list via r/click send to 'I'-> get warning about dupes (there were none left according to MC on sync)
correct the tracks -> sync fails -> no songs transferred but half iPod disk space gone.

initialise - resync - still only 3300 files moving across to iPod, ah well, your help is appreciated.

Still, I'm for bed...Nytol.

bd6675

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2004, 07:42:34 pm »

Hey Steve,

Not sure if you fixed this in tonight's build (.85):

"When synching my smartlist ( [Last Played]=>=40320 ) with build .84 I have to synch twice to get the tracks to remove from my lastplayed list on my pod (40gb, Win XP SP1).  After the first synch I see that it removes the tracks from the lastplayed smartlist in the MC10 view, however, when I look under the iPod playlist view the lastplayed list still has the tracks.  I synch again and the tracks are gone as they should be from both views (MC10 and iPod)."

But it seems to work as it should with .85.  Thanks so much.

Chris

bellipod

• Recent member
  • iPod rocks!
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2004, 09:16:12 pm »

What's the best way to 'normalize' all of my files on my iPod?  Is it to have all the files analyzed before transfer?  Or to have the replay gain thing applied?  I don't really care how the files play on the computer, I just want them all about the same level when played on the iPod.

Thanks.

jt

• Recent member
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2004, 10:48:42 pm »

If I change a rating on a song in MC 10.0.84, then sync to my ipod (3G 30gig), the rating in MC is overwritten with what the iPod had it as. Even if I've not changed any rating on the ipod since the last sync.

SteveG

« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2004, 10:19:58 am »

Penfold,

Error code 80 is a Windows message and means "File exists".  Lets focus on what happened after the initialize. You attempted to send all files via send-to. Did the files then transfer? The incorrect disk space is a clue that this may be a hardware issue. When you see that, view the iPod from Windows Explorer and see what it reports for size. Try using another application and see if you have problems to rule out hardware as a possible issue.

Chris,

That was fixed in 85.

bellipod,

I would suggest applying Replay Gain.  

jt,

If you do not want iPod settings to overwrite MC settings, deselect the option for 'Sync data to MC' in then Synchronization dialogue. If you sync without this option, MC will update iPod. If you have this selected, iPod will update MC.

Penfold

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2004, 12:00:24 pm »

The majority of the files transferred, the status bar went doo-lally then MC locked about 100 files from completion. After a reboot the files were viewable on iPod, I could play them in Winamp & thru MC, but iPod itself reckoned there were no songs yet more than half the disk space was used. I checked & all but 100 songs were on there.

Now when I transferred an album before the initialise via send to, the files transferred to iPod fine, iPod recognised them & they played.

So I think the extended transfer was treating iPod like a normal mp3 player & just dumping them into folders & not creating the Ipod DB. Whereas the album transfer managed to update (an existing) database thus making the files playable.

I would discount the hardware theory as iPod is less than 6months old & hasn't taken a knock, also everything was working fine on .75 until moving to .84 > Should I move to .86? Is this due to the new sync system? who knows? not me thats fer sure!

Bleh! The more i try & fix the problem the more I run into!

Alternately I have iTunes d/loaded, I could try & get that working instead, but don't really wanna unless I really really have to. MC has been doing an admirable job of handling my iPod so far!

If I do have to, what's the best way to run iTunes side by side to MC, is it possible without more blood sweat & tears?

Thanks yet again for responding to my weirdy problems!!!

nel

• Recent member
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2004, 12:28:39 pm »

jt,

If you do not want iPod settings to overwrite MC settings, deselect the option for 'Sync data to MC' in then Synchronization dialogue. If you sync without this option, MC will update iPod. If you have this selected, iPod will update MC.

How do you do if you want the last played and some rating info to come over from the iPod while some other files have been updated in MC (rating or other tags) and you don't want to loose that info either. This was possible with the old plug-in : MC was updating only the files which had been changed on the iPod.

Thanks for your help.

Nel.

Penfold

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2004, 03:35:45 pm »

OK so I got iTunes installed, enabled disk use & set it to not update iPod

hmmm iTunes huh? After all I've heard I was expecting some sort of Windows uber-app that would do all but compose my music for me. Shame, it wouldn't have convinced me to move away from Winamp (like MC did). Some nice touches, but I don't like it, too minimalist for me, but I'll live with it for now. It did however, load my entire library after initialisation.

Pesky thing doesn't read MC ratings or last played info though. How tedious.

Not wanting to destroy my existing MC ratings by overwriting them with iTunes ones I thought I better ask:
  • Can/Could MC & iTunes save their ratings to the same mp3/database? Are both programs able to update their rating without affecting the other programs rating? Same goes for last played info.
  • Do MC & iTunes share any kind of relationship in regards to iPod?
  • If not will MC & iTunes ever use the same Ratings system so that a rating changed in either MC or iTunes can be read & edited by each other?
I want my MC back! *sulk*

jt

• Recent member
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2004, 03:36:05 pm »

So syncing ratings etc is strictly one direction or the other. It can't merge the changes?
I know with iTunes it works in both directions, it's a shame that MC10 doesn't do this then. If im at home listening to music, I'd like to be able to change the rating and have it sync to the ipod, but if Im listening to my ipod in the car and change a rating, I'd like to have it update my library in MC. This seems to me like pretty standard functionality.

Jason.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up