INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Logitech keyboard problems  (Read 6753 times)

Rob L

• Galactic Citizen
Logitech keyboard problems
« on: March 06, 2004, 06:35:53 am »

Am I the only person that has problems with the multimedia keys on a logitech keyboard?

I've actually had it for a while, but previously wrote it off as a problem with the logitech drivers and since I don't use the keyboard keys that often, didn't worry about it.

But I've just been thinking about it again, and can only think that it must be a problem with Media Center rather than the keyboard drivers. I've upgraded them recently, which I thought might fix them, but it hasn't.

What actually happens is if I press the next or previous track on the keyboard, it skips to the next track then the next track then the next track then the next track... and I have to kill media center with task manager!

The keys work fine in everything else though...

It's all very weird - I'd have thought if it was a general problem someone else would have mentioned it! But on the other hand, I don't see how it can just be me.

(and it's been doing it with every build of 10 as far as I know)

Help?

gpvillamil

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Listen to the music...
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2004, 03:32:34 pm »

Am I the only person that has problems with the multimedia keys on a logitech keyboard?

I've actually had it for a while, but previously wrote it off as a problem with the logitech drivers and since I don't use the keyboard keys that often, didn't worry about it.

But I've just been thinking about it again, and can only think that it must be a problem with Media Center rather than the keyboard drivers. I've upgraded them recently, which I thought might fix them, but it hasn't.

What actually happens is if I press the next or previous track on the keyboard, it skips to the next track then the next track then the next track then the next track... and I have to kill media center with task manager!

It's all very weird - I'd have thought if it was a general problem someone else would have mentioned it! But on the other hand, I don't see how it can just be me.

Help?

I have the same problem with an Acer Airkey III and Girder.

Rizlaw

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2004, 08:52:12 am »

I have two Logitech wireless keyboards (latest is an MX Duo), they both work fine in MC 10.0.84. I don't use Logitech's software. Their keyboards, by default, appear to conform to Microsoft's keyboard standard, so all of the music transport functions keys work fine. One caveat, a big one, if MC doesn't have the focus as the active window, then the transport keys won't work. I think, if you use Logitech's keyboard software, this can probably be overcome. You might also check the batteries in your keyboard. Low batteries can cause poor/irratic behavior in the transport buttons on the keyboard.  
Ubuntu Gnome 20.04 LTS

Rob L

• Galactic Citizen
Re:Logitech keyboard problems
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2004, 10:24:59 am »

The batteries are definitely fine.

The media keys might work with the bog-standard Microsoft drivers, but that's about it. All the other stuff doesn't.

And you're right, with the logitech drivers the media keys do work regardless of what's got the focus.

That suggests that the keys are handled really quite differently depending on the drivers.

It seems to me that Media Center is getting a windows message to say next/previous, but for some reason is forgetting to reset the flag to say that it's processed it.

Curiously, I also have an ATI RF remote, and that's working fine.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2004, 10:29:25 am »

Key repeat problem?

Are you also using Girder?

Rob L

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2004, 12:04:20 pm »

Yes, but only for other stuff.

I've tried disabling girder to take it out of the equation anyway and it made no difference.

It doesn't appear to be key repeat - it only affects MC, not other apps, and it's only with next and previous. It doesn't do it with play/pause or stop.

And when I do press prev/next and then kill MC to get out of the constant skipping, if I restart it again straight away it's fine until I press prev/next again.

jleerigby

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2004, 01:23:05 pm »

This is what you need to do:

1.  Locate the players.ini file in C:\Program Files\Logitech\iTouch.

2.  Add this line to players.ini
MediaCenter=wac,Media Jukebox.exe,MJFrame,xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx,0,1,Media Center

3.  Copy this to a notepad file then save it as MC.reg and double click it to enter the details into the registry
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\Media Jukebox.exe]
@="C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\Media Jukebox.exe"
"Path"="C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\\"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\Media Center]
@="C:\\Program Files\\J River\\Media Center\\Media Jukebox.exe"
"Path"="C:\\Program Files\\J River\\Media Center"

4.   Run "regedit" and change the following key:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Logitech\iTouch\CurrentVersion]
"MediaPlayer"="C:\Program Files\Media Center\Media Jukebox.exe"

5.  Open task manager and kill the itouch.exe process.

6.  Navigate to C:\Program Files\Logitech\iTouch and run itouchcf.exe.

7.  Restart MC.

8.  Let me know if it works.

Rob L

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2004, 02:26:39 pm »

Hm,  I already had some of that - the "media player" button has "JRiver Media Core 10.0" listed in the list of apps it can start.

I didn't bother adding in the app paths.

But actually, just adding that line to the players.ini seems to have fixed it.  Thanks.

Curious, though... it didn't need that with version 9.

sdgrizdan

• Galactic Citizen
  • The body cannot live without the mind
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2004, 03:27:34 am »

Help?

I'm having the same issues. Even the play/pause buttons work sporadically. Stop works fine, as does the mute button and volume. Media Center is not listed in the list of supported media players on the Logitech website. So, that could be the problem, even though I dont see why it wont work anyways.

[taken from logitech website:]
The iTouch software supports the following Multimedia applications:
• Windows CD Player
• Windows Media Player up to version 9.x
• MUSICMATCH(tm) versions 4.x up to 8.1
• RealOne Player
• Creative PlayCenter versions 1.5, 2.x and 3.0
• WinAmp 2.x and WinAmp 3
• Sonic CinePlayer versions 1.0 and 1.5
• PowerDVD 3.0, 4.0 and 5.0
• Intervideo WinDVD 2.x, 4.0 and 5.1
• Quick Time 6.0 and 6.4
• iTunes 4.1

jleerigby

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2004, 05:41:04 am »

sdgrizdan, did you follow my instructions?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2004, 07:01:52 am »

Please try contacting Logitech and asking them to support MJ and MC.  They might do it.

jleerigby

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2004, 07:31:49 am »

I'm sure they would if they were asked as it's only a case of adding a line to the players.ini file.

But this alone would not work unless the app path was registered as per:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\Media Center]

Shouldn't MC be doing this during the installation?

jleerigby

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2004, 07:44:24 am »

OK.  I just registered for their forum and put the request in for an update to the players.ini

http://forums.logitech.com/pe/forums/displaypost.jsp?postID=10110769

jleerigby

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2004, 07:16:57 am »

Bump.  

Ok I did my bit but what about this:

But this alone would not work unless the app path was registered as per:
Quote:

Shouldn't MC be doing this during the installation?

Cocophone

• Recent member
  • I might be a porcupine.
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2004, 06:48:05 pm »

I added the line to the player.ini file, but  Media Center is repeating the keys.  If I hit "next track" key media center advances through all the tracks to the last one in Playing Now as if the next track key was stuck.

If I don't use the logitech software then Media Center works as it should.

==cocophone==

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2004, 07:05:57 pm »

MC isn't repeating the keys.  Are you also using Girder?

Cocophone

• Recent member
  • I might be a porcupine.
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2004, 07:34:31 pm »

i looked in task manager.....itouch.exe is running.   But I don't have girder running on this comptuer.

I tried with Winamp  and it doesn't repeat the keys.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2004, 07:39:05 pm »

I don't know the answer, but MC won't repeat keys.  Try to look elsewhere.

jleerigby

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2004, 04:07:59 am »

Cocophone - If you read the thread above and follow ALL of my instructions step by step your problem will go away.

Sauzee

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2004, 02:07:20 pm »

I've found that older versions of the logitech drivers work better with MC - but they create other problems with shut down of XP.

I'll try JLee's fix. Thanks JLee.

JLee - you're forum name isn't connected to Jerry Lee Lewis, is it?

jleerigby

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2004, 06:28:35 pm »

JLee - you're forum name isn't connected to Jerry Lee Lewis, is it?

Err... No.  It's just the initial of my first name (and I'm not a Jerry) followed by the name I'm known by, Lee.  Since Lee is quite a popular name I figured JLee would be better than Lee91578641257896147.  No offence intended Lee269. BTW what's the 2 for?

ApostolicFire

• Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2004, 08:22:59 am »

JLee's instructions worked fine for me. :) I am using the following Logitech drivers on my Elite Keyboard:

Title: iTouch™    Version: v2.22 build 289    Posted: 03/30/2004

JoeInLenexa

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2004, 06:41:14 pm »

Keys work here, but they repeat. Didnt happen with previous versions of Logitech drivers. Keys work fine with iTunes and Media Player, so it must be something related to Media Center. Running latest version 9 here with latest Logitech Drivers and iTouch. Before all the "Modifications" as stated previously in this thread, Pressing Play/Pause would start/stop the music, just as if you hit Play/Pause really fast. After the changes, Play/Pause work fine (so far) but Next and Previous keys will advance 50 or so songs in the playlist.

Since all keys work correctly in Media Player AND in iTunes AND Power DVD AND all other Media programs EXCEPT for JRiver Media Center, Media Center is at fault.

When will this be corrected?

This problem happens between Desktop XP Machine, Desktop Win2000 Machine, Either the Eliete Duo Keyboards OR Logitech Bluetooth - makes no difference - all symptoms are excatly the same while all other Music and Movie programs function as designed.

JoeInLenexa

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2004, 06:47:49 pm »

Update -

I have changed the Windows Control Panel Keyboard Repeat Rate to the minimum which dictates how long it takes a key to repeat and the Play/Pause problem is GONE and the Next/Previous problem has been dramatically reduced from skipping forward and back about 50 or so songs to skipping only 5 or so.

This would now prove to be a problem with Media Center reading the Keybaord buffer. Since no other programs are having this issue, J River needs to recheck their code to determine the problem.

jleerigby

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2004, 06:52:31 am »

If you want some help from the JRiver guys (and very helpful they are too) I would be careful about making sweeping statements such as
Media Center is at fault.

When will this be corrected?
and
J River needs to recheck their code to determine the problem

If I were a MC programmer I could be easily offended by this.  Your logic does not necessarily follow.  The fault (or feature) could easily be with Logitech or Windows and it just happens that other programs are lucky enough to be unaffected.

A polite request for help often works better than 'your program doesn't work - get it fixed'!

bross

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2004, 10:13:59 pm »

I followed JLee's instructions in this thread, and sure enough that fixed the problems with the play and track control buttons, but now I have a new problem.  Whenever I press the Media key on the keyboard the iTouch software crashes.  Does anyone else have this problem?

krupted

• Recent member
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2004, 12:28:58 pm »

I made this pakage for WindowsXP users.  Not real sure if it will work for others but its basically an easy way to implement whats said above.  Click to DOWNLOAD  Logitech Media Center Fix.

Also, i have found sometimes that the media buttons go array, like the F-Lock will turn into Mute and when the Media button is press the volume will go down.  So far simply taking out the batteries for a couple seconds and replacing solves this.

MBaas

• Recent member
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2004, 03:31:16 am »

I'm also having the "keys repeat"-issue here, followed all instructions in JLee's post, MC also starts when using Play-button, but that's the only positive change. It would be so nice to get MC+iTouch working together...

Using W2k, SP4, iTouch 2.22.289

Raysy

• Recent member
  • Enjoy yourself!
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2004, 10:30:52 am »

I have problems with the iTouch software too.
Im running MC 9.1.319, Win 2000 Pro SP4, iTouch 2.22.289.

At first I thought it was only a problem concerning players.ini
(There is a selfextracting version downloadable at ftp://ftp.logitech.com/pub/techsupport/keyboards/itouch/players.exe
{64kb}. It has to be an older one, but differs to the most recent only with the listing of some newer players {WinAmp5}). But I had no idea waht values for MC to enter.

Then I found this topic and followed exactly JLee instuctions except the filepaths, that differ at my machine.
I have the same problem like the others. When I touch once "Skip Forward" at least five title are skipped forward.
Does anyone know how to fix or an alternative software to replace itouch? ?

BTW: What is Grider? Is that a feature of MC I can switch of? Or another program?

Rob L

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2004, 05:36:41 am »

Sounds like your INI file is still not right then.

I don't know how the logitech software identifies the names of applications running, but under Windows 2000, in many circumstances, the names of applications have a 15 character limit. That would mean that "Media Jukebox.exe" would become "Media Jukebox.e" (if you check in task manager, that's probably what you'd see) I have also seen the short filename appear too, though, so that would be MEDIAJ~1.EXE. It probably can't hurt to reproduce the name in the INI file in the different formats to be on the safe side.

Rooster6975

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2004, 12:41:47 pm »

I tried the download file that krupted recommended.  I edited the registry file to match how I have MC installed.  I also checked out the players.ini file and added the entry for MC10 as well as the two sections below which my installation did not have.

Unfortunately, neither worked.  I am back where I started.  If I hit the Next Track button on my logitech kb, it starts jumping songs as fast as it can.  If I hit STOP, it will overlay the word STOP on top of NEXT TRACK on the OSD.  Eventually it will stop, and I can then push play again, but effectively it makes the Next track button useless.

Too bad, because this works perfectly in MMJB.  Next Track goes instantly to the next track in that prog.

R.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2004, 12:46:09 pm »

If you're having problems with the multimedia keys, please try MC 11. (side-by-side install if necessary)

We've changed the way we handle multimedia keys in MC 11.  There are a lot of ways to handle them, and unfortunately no way seems to work with every keyboard or keyboard software package.

Let us know what you find.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Rooster6975

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2004, 01:02:33 pm »

OK, sounds good to me!  I'll give it a go.  But I did discover something I find quite amusing.  If I deinstall the iTouch Logitech drivers completely, then everything works with MC 10!!  Play/Pause works as expected, Mute mutes, Stop stops, Volume wheel works, and best of all Next Track and Previous Track both do exactly what I expect them to!

Not all my fancy keyboard buttons work without the iTouch software of course (I mean the other non-media buttons) but the Home button still launches my Home page, e-mail launches Outlook, Favourites brings up my Favs, Search the search bar........

So screw it!  WHO NEEDS iTOUCH!  Now I can go back to MC and actually get fade outs/fade ins when I skip to the Next Track, which is one of the reasons I bought MC.

I'll give MC11 beta a go with the iTouch software a little later.  I am going to enjoy flipping through some tracks for now.

R.

Rob L

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2004, 02:08:02 pm »

Yeah, I never figured out why Logitech made it so much more complicated with their software when the default windows drivers already did about 95% of it anyway!
Pages: [1]   Go Up