INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows Media Player 9 files  (Read 1122 times)

keyvan

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Windows Media Player 9 files
« on: November 01, 2002, 05:48:36 am »

I wonder if anyone out there is using WMP 9 beta and can confirm if they are getting the same issue? ?
I have a number of files converted by WMP 9 into VBR WMA using the lossless codec supplied by WMP9. These files were copied using original and legally licensed CDs. Obviously I have quiet a few wma files which were encoded using older versions of WMP (mostly at 192kbps) - they do not suffer from the license nag. Generally MJB plays back my wma (old and new lossless vbr) perfectly, but once in a while (and this is not consistantly the case - hence I hope not a sinister act by MS) MJB gives an error when asked to play back one of these WMP9 encoded file that" MJB was unable to locate a license for the media" with an ok box to get past. Upon pressing ok MJB moves to play the next song in the playlist or album or whatever is next. If I then double click on the track which resulted in the error, then the track plays without the license error.

Anyone had this?

Could this be start of MS domination of what s/w you can use to play back your legally licensed music >:(
Will the next step to stop you playing your music on your portable device, unless you pay MS and/or their buddies in the music and movie industries...
If so then everyone should start to boycott their players and codecs now before we all (or a lot of us) committ our legally obtained music and movie material into their retroactive licensing whims...

I will be interested in all thoughts on this matter, or indeed if I am just being paranoid ::)

Thanks
Keyvan R

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Windows Media Player 9 files
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2002, 07:06:49 am »

This problem has been reported when WMP 9 beta is installed.  We think it's a bug in the MS code.
We can't do anything until WMP 9 and the new SDK are both released.

We do not recommend installing WMP 9 beta.

keyvan

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2002, 07:58:10 am »

Thanks

I am not that keen on the software (WMP 9) , but I like the codec, given the tagging and album find problems associated with .ape / and MJB.
I am just concerned that if I put time and effort into converting my CDs I

keyvan

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2002, 07:58:57 am »

Thanks

I am not that keen on the software (WMP 9) , but I like the codec, given the tagging and album find problems associated with .ape / and MJB.
I am just concerned that if I put time and effort into converting my CDs I am not locked into using WMP only.

Keyvan
Pages: [1]   Go Up